The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Harness For Whippets

maja

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi There,

I am planning to buy a harness for our Wolfie as he is pulling quite a lot while running with him, therefore I thought harness would be better to use for jogging than collar.

My question would be which harness is the best to use on whippets, as they have such soft skins.

Please, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Maria

:) Hi there, I saw some nice harness and collars at Crufts that had been covered in sheepskin. Its easy to do cos it was only rolled around the leather or webbing and stuck down. You could try fleece too, cant see that it wouldn't work. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Hello,

For us the harness did not work out, our dog was pulling even more and the harness was giving him a nasty rash where it was rubbing on his almost bare tummy!

We now use a wide martingale collar (material) and we are both very happy with it.

I have tried various harnesses for Lenny, he pulls like mad and is quite strong! I find that in a normal harness he pulls even more (I think he likes to pretend he is a husky :lol: ).

I have tried 2 anti pull harnesses, the first one (stop pull I think) he backed out of and ran home :eek: the second one is a halti which I use at the moment. So far so good except its a bit fiddly to start with as you're supposed to use a double ended lead. I just use a normal lead though as its easier. It also clips to your dogs normal collar so if they back out of it, they will still be attached to you :D

For running have you tried a lead which you can clip around your waist so you can jog 'hands free' so to speak? I have also seen a jogging lead on Canine Concepts which is like a bit telephone cable and attaches to your wrist? I can't recommend this though as I haven't tried it myself, but it could suitable.

I see you've been on the Canicross thread so I take it you've seen the harnesses which they sell - bit too expensive for me though (w00t)

Hi Maria

This is the harness I have used on Freeway and found it worked very well.

Harness :thumbsup:

I used a harness on Ronan when his back was bad, a Sib Husky lady made it for him but when I was browsing for collars the other day I saw these, which are virtually the same, very padded and very soft and spread the load over the shoulders

Anna's Collars

Hi

I have a harness for my Fly - been using it for years and its great when you're doing long walks over rough terrain - saves a lot of pulling on their necks.

I also had the problem of rubbing, and found a solution quite by accident. I was in an equestrial shop with my daughter and saw some sheepskin covers to go round the noseband on a horse's harness - they already have velcro attached and were around £3.50 some years ago. You can just wrap one round the tummy bit of the harness and it stops all the rubbing under the armpits. You can also remove it for washing - all round, an excellent solution!

Eleanor

Or, how about one of these, they are marvellous and the dogs really seem to accept them

Gencon headcollars

There is no pressure on the face/muzzle, all the control comes from the neck and even my 'power walker' Bertha walks beautifully on one, I find they have a very calming effect on the dogs as well.

dessie said:
I used a harness on Ronan when his back was bad, a Sib Husky lady made it for him but when I was browsing for collars the other day I saw these, which are virtually the same, very padded and very soft and spread the load over the shoulders
Anna's Collars

I use one of Anna's padded harnesses for my elderly greyhound who has very sensitive skin and it is excellent - really soft and no rubbing at all.

I love Anna's collars too, all my dogs wear her martingales and they last for years - and 100% of profits from all her goods go into sighthound rescue :D

thank you so much all for your help....

I like the fleece padded ones as they look really soft...will definitely order one... :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back