The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

has anyone heard of the forley cup

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Evening All (yes I am old enough, just, to remeber Dixon of Dock Green!), This conversation has become far too surreal for me, if I am able to make Wednesday am sure I'll find you, look forward to putting faces to names.

Kind regards.

you will all see me ,il be the one with my arm around clarisa! :wub: (nooooootttt)

Hi folks, to get back to the original topic of the Forley cup, there seems to be a misconception of the set up judging by the comments such as "unsporting" and "shooting fish in a barrel" etc..

I attend the Forley every year and have run a dog in two finals so far, so perhaps a few facts will help to clear the confusion.

As the job of a lurcher is to CATCH game it should be no surprise that a test of the dogs prowess should demand that only successful CATCHES send the lurcher into the next round. The dogs are slipped by nominated slippers and hares are given around 100 yards start, depending on the proximity of cover etc., and only one dog at a time is run so that any kill is made on the merit of that dogs ability, as opposed to doubled up coursing were one dog may turn the hare into the path of a lesser dog with a good mouth.

On the land where the competition is held each year, they no longer shoot the several hundreds of hares that they used to at the seasons end, because the regular forays of the Forley coursing clubs outings tends to prevent the hares gathering en masse in any one area to decimate the newly emerging greens.

The competition itself rarely accounts for more than 20 hares.

For the greyhound coursers out there, the lurcher fraternity have supported the Waterloo cup for years and continue to do so,....it would be nice to believe that followers of coursing in all it's forms could stand united against the common enemy.

Roll on next season. :cheers:

Well said Bolio.

for anyone interested they are selling Vids of the Forleys cups Ect for £10 get there tommorow for the last day and pick one up.

Bolio you going the final day?

bolio said:
Hi folks, to get back to the original topic of the Forley cup, there seems to be a misconception of the set up judging by the comments such as "unsporting" and "shooting fish in a barrel" etc..I attend the Forley every year and have run a dog in two finals so far, so perhaps a few facts will help to clear the confusion.

As the job of a lurcher is to CATCH game it should be no surprise that a test of the dogs prowess should demand that only successful CATCHES send the lurcher into the next round. The dogs are slipped by nominated slippers and hares are given around 100 yards start, depending on the proximity of cover etc., and only one dog at a time is run so that any kill is made on the merit of that dogs ability, as opposed to doubled up coursing were one dog may turn the hare into the path of a lesser dog with a good mouth.

On the land where the competition is held each year, they no longer shoot the several hundreds of hares that they used to at the seasons end, because the regular forays of the Forley coursing clubs outings tends to prevent the hares gathering en masse in any one area to decimate the newly emerging greens.

For the greyhound coursers out there, the lurcher fraternity have supported the Waterloo cup for years and continue to do so,....it would be nice to believe that followers of coursing in all it's forms could stand united against the common enemy.

Thanks for the clarification Bolio, wasn't trying to knock it, just didn't know enough about it! :b

Regards,

Scott.

Hello Bolio, I think your final comment was spot on. The important thing being that we are all allowed the freedom to continue to enjoy our coursing in its various forms, for many many more years to come. Kind regards.

bolio , is there any lurcher coursing events a bit nearer to me in the midlands ?

where can i get a list of events , as i am very keen to try my bitch

can you give me any info on the type of dogs used ..do they have to be a certon size or type ? ...mine is a greyhound / deerhound about 24 inch see pic

thanks

No Mark, I've never been to the Waterloo cup as I live in Northern Ireland and if I'm gonna travel over there I'd rather bring my own dogs and go coursing on the fens ;) .

I did attend local greyhound coursing events for many years though.

Stark you could contact Alan Tyers of the association of lurcher clubs, he has a website.

Most of us just run our dogs on our own permission all season and enter the odd competition if we think we have a decent chance. Due to the length of slips, size of land and strong hares only saluki crosses seem to do well in the Forley do's although any dog is eligible. The only pure breed that has ever made it to the final day was a saluki, but most are lurchers with around 3/4 saluki blood.

I was over at an event last weekend where the running ground was 4 miles long and 2 1/2 miles wide so you can see why you need staying type dogs.

bolio said:
For the greyhound coursers out there, the lurcher fraternity have supported the Waterloo cup for years and continue to do so,....it would be nice to believe that followers of coursing in all it's forms could stand united against the common enemy.Roll on next season. :cheers:
Well said bolio, to be honest i think the lurcher coursing people are more appreciative of its fellow coursers, ie pure bred dog owner. If it wernt for the lurcher owners the attendance of the waterloo cup imo would be 30-40% down...on the first day...

before anyone slags me of I used to work lurchers for many years day/night with & wothout permission and may in the future work 1 again if the right pup crops up.

(So i've been there, done that, and got the T shirt.)

but the reason the pure bred coursers have a problem with lurcher owners is that unfortunatly the reputation of the many has been ruined by the few.

most lurcher owners are great lads (and lasis) who work their dogs on land they have permission on and would never dream of threatening a land owner if approched but their are the few who rather than put the leg work in and find permission (and it's there if they try) they prefer to poach and threaten landowners if approched.

you only have to have a day at the Waterloo cup to see what a good bunch the majority are (and thanks to the lads who pushed my transit out of the mud on day 2 if their reading this) but you also only need to stand there and listene to the idiots that will be the downfall of lurcher work (and coursing) by their antics (and bragging in public for all to hear)

We should all stand together in defence of all field sports.

bolio said:
Hi folks, to get back to the original topic of the Forley cup, there seems to be a misconception of the set up judging by the comments such as "unsporting" and "shooting fish in a barrel" etc..I attend the Forley every year and have run a dog in two finals so far, so perhaps a few facts will help to clear the confusion.

could u give me any information on when the forley cup is on and where abouts for 2005?

Scott, The Forley cup is far from shooting fish in a barrel the dogs need to be 110% fit or they aint winning nothing and most of the people who run them realy know how to get a dog ready.

That what I thiught when I saw the first Forley Cup video. I've never seen any for sale since then. Are they advertised on web sites?

View attachment _CID__img00.jpg

Well guys since the ban came in there can obviously be no more Forely competitions and since the videos were made in the PAL format you would need one of those converters to watch them in the states.

Here's a pic taken on a mobile phone camera of my home bred bitch Willow after taking 11 out of 11 white hares this last "legal" season. Her granddam was Sankeys Dancer, who won the Forely cup in '98.

<Well guys since the ban came in there can obviously be no more Forely <competitions and since the videos were made in the PAL format you would need <one of those converters to watch them in the states.

Maybe you could move the Forley Cup to the States! Plenty of free coursing country in the West.

PAL format is no problem. Converts well to NTSC. I just can't find the PAL version.

New event planned for next year in New Mexico. Teams of three dogs on the same theme as the Forley only they can be any pure bred breed of sighthound or Lurcher.

Don't tell me it's unsporting. The hares (Jackrabbits) have won the last three years. None caught. Very tough country and even tougher hares.

The big saluki stakes are this weekend in Medicine Bow, Wyoming.

Yes I've seen loads of pix on the net of the type of coursing to which you refer tlewis, the dogs wear coloured jackets and there is often a lot of scrub around for the jacks to lose the dogs in. I can imagine that it would take three dogs to be able to keep an eye on the quary darting in and out behind the tumbleweeds.

If you pm me with an address I'll make you a copy of some U.K. coursing that I have on tape and send it off to you.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back