The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hello everyone, my name is Stanislav, I need your advice!

Stanislav

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I want to start with how I came to this forum in the first place and why I decided to create this thread.

I had a cat when I was a kid, we were very attached to her, but when I was in high school she was gone, after that we didn't get a pet.

I've been playing computer games all my life, but lately I've become interested in meta-universes and other interesting projects, because it's related to my work.

Just recently came across a project that does charity work, but they help dogs and I'll be honest, it inspired me and made me want to adopt a Dog from a shelter.

I'm currently thinking about which shelter to apply to and would love to hear your advice on choosing a shelter dog, this may not sound like a nice thing to say but I'm worried and realize it's a big responsibility. Maybe someone has had a similar experience?

Thank you in advance for your help :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, and welcome to the forum. As you say, taking on a dog is a big responsibility, and you need to ask yourself whether you want to adopt 'just' to do something good, or whether you really want a dog, and can offer the dog what he or she needs... for life. Will you be able to walk the dog every day, train it, keep it mentally occupied, make sure it isn't left for more than a few hours at a time? Can you afford to feed and insure the dog, and pay for any vet bills for anything not covered by the insurance? Could your life plans change in the future, e.g. if your work changes, if you find a long-term partner, if you have children?

We can't recommend a specific animal shelter without knowing your location - I believe you are not in the UK. And the quality of shelters in general may differ where you are. But ideally, you want a shelter that won't just give you any dog you want, but one that will interview you, check your home, and ensure that the dog is a perfect match for you. It can be helpful if the shelter uses foster homes rather than kennels so the dog has lived in a household. They will then know if the dog is housetrained, whether it is happy with visitors to the home, and so on.

BTW, as part of our standard spam-avoidance practices, I've removed the link from your post as it wasn't really relevant.

As an alternative to the huge and endless responsibility of having a dog in your home, perhaps instead you could help out at a shelter. You'd learn lots and could do as much or as little as you want. If one shelter doesn't suit you, there should be plenty of others who would welcome your help.

As an alternative to the huge and endless responsibility of having a dog in your home, perhaps instead you could help out at a shelter. You'd learn lots and could do as much or as little as you want. If one shelter doesn't suit you, there should be plenty of others who would welcome your help.
By the way, good idea, so I can understand exactly whether I'm ready to take such responsibility and make a step forward or not yet

Welcome to the forum - all good advice given and well done for thinking about a rescue dog (I'm on my second). As well as the usual commitments mentioned above, bear in mind that a rescue dog may well have some behavioural differences, for example being scared of dogs and/or people, so take that into account too. That said, it's very rewarding to rescue a dog from a shelter who might otherwise not lead the most fullest of lives. Keeps up posed on what you do, and any questions, ask away!

Off-topic, but you mentioned it - tell me more about your metaverse work (PM if you prefer), I'm interested in that sort of thing.

Welcome to the forum - all good advice given and well done for thinking about a rescue dog (I'm on my second). As well as the usual commitments mentioned above, bear in mind that a rescue dog may well have some behavioural differences, for example being scared of dogs and/or people, so take that into account too. That said, it's very rewarding to rescue a dog from a shelter who might otherwise not lead the most fullest of lives. Keeps up posed on what you do, and any questions, ask away!

Off-topic, but you mentioned it - tell me more about your metaverse work (PM if you prefer), I'm interested in that sort of thing.
Of course, I think I can tell a little bit here
I came through the project TextTeo on the charitable foundation ROLDA
I read a lot of articles, familiarized myself with their materials, and decided that I want to shelter a dog (find a friend)
Their organization in many countries, recently they went to Ukraine and helped animals there

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back