The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hello - New Member

lurchx2

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hello - I'm new to this forum. I thought I;d introduce myself with a question.

I have two lurchers - one 11 y/o bitch- mostly greyhound but definitely some collie in there, and the other 2 y/o dog mostly whippet, but again with a touch of the collie to him. After reading lots on the contents of complete dog foods and kibbles, we finally bit the bullet and moved our two over to a natural raw meaty bones diet. We've accepted that in their wild state, dogs are carnivores and have no place for vegetables or non meat protein in their diet.

Ours eat a mixture of raw large turkey legs, lamb breast on the bone, chicken carcasses, heart, kidneys, liver, and whole fish.

Since making the change the difference has been remarkable. They've virtually stopped shedding hair and their coats shine and even repel water!. Their breath has no smell at all, our bitch's ongoing anal gland problems have stopped completely, the dog's periodic upset stomachs have disappeared. They have both calmed down to be much more contented dogs (although werent that difficult to begin with). It's incredible to see the amount of concentration and consideration that goes into overcome each meal - each evening is a new IQ test for dogs.

Does anyone else here give their dogs a raw meat and bone diet? I'm interested to hear how other lurchers get on with it. I think those breeds with the short faces can have some difficulties with it, but the long strong jaw of the long dog is ideal for crushing up the bones and shredding the meat.

here's a couple of pics

1543019_200.jpg

and

1542985_600.jpg

Well they certainly look beautiful. I've always worried about giving mine fresh raw meat because of ecoli, and salmonella, and bones getting lodged or splintered. I see a lot of people on here do feed a raw diet and do really well. I'd like to try it, but it would just my luck that one of mine would have a problem, so I stick to their regular stuff.

If it's working for you, then you made the right choice, and the dogs certainly look well on it :thumbsup:

Welcome to K9 :cheers:

June Jonigk said:
Well they certainly look beautiful.  I've always worried about giving mine fresh raw meat because of ecoli, and salmonella, and bones getting lodged or splintered.  I see a lot of people on here do feed a raw diet and do really well.  I'd like to try it, but it would just my luck that one of mine would have a problem, so I stick to their regular stuff.
If it's working for you, then you made the right choice, and the dogs certainly look well on it :thumbsup:

Welcome to K9  :cheers:

Mine do get raw meat, but not as a full diet just when we have scraps from the kitchen, they do sometimes get raw turkey legs though, as you can get a whole leg for about £1.20 from the super markets.

They are mostly on dry and what ever we eat that is left, if you have a hound then nothing is wasted, as mine eat anything, even cooked sprouts.

There is a fox hunt kennle about a mile from me, and you should see what they get to eat, dead uncooked anything really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the welcome

June Jonigk said:
I've always worried about giving mine fresh raw meat because of ecoli, and salmonella, and bones getting lodged or splintered.

I think that provided you stick to the 3 main RMB rules of

1. Always feed raw bones;

2. Always feed bones that are wrapped with lots of meat

3. always feed lumps that are bigger than the dogs head so they chew not gulp

then choking is very unlikely - a vet on the RMB email group is doing some research and has found no cases of dogs choking on raw bones on the Vets Information Network (VIN) although has found lots where the dog has choked on kibble. It is possible that bones will get lodged across the teeth or roof of mount but this is unlikely to be life threatening.

AS far as food poisoning goes ... as long as food is human grade, been frozen to kill bacteria / worm cists, that shouldn't be a problem either.

There's always risks, but so is there allowing a dog to catch a ball or chew rawhide, but many people allow their dogs to do these things.

It is stressful at first though - the first couple of weeks were difficult for us, but the benefits far outweigh the negatives. And the most incredible thing is how little waste comes out the other end - does to show how much of the meat is absorbed through digestion, and how much is in kibble that isnt absorbed at all. the poos are compact and tiny compared to the horrible sloppy mess that kibble gives.

I know I'm a bit evangelical about it - but it really has made that much difference to my dogs.

:thumbsup: Welcome to k9 lurchx2, i have four dogs and they are all fed on raw meat, rabbit, cooked ox liver,chicken livers, marrow bones, lamb, breast of lamb, mince, and best beef if it's cheap enough, but their all time favourite as got to be raw chicken wings which also helps to keep their teeth clean, I've never had a problem with choking and their coats always shine. ;) I think there's too much rubbish in some of the dried foods, good luck with the way you feed your dogs sounds like you've got it just right. :) Diane

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back