The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hello - new mum here!

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I would try to record (ideally video but just audio will do) him when you're out to see how he's coping. He may be chewing because he's stressed, or because he's having fun.

Ideally, you start off only leaving him for as long as he's comfortable (whether that's one hour or ten seconds), and build up gradually. Every time you leave him and he gets stressed, it will reinforce that you going out is something to worry about. Every time you leave him and come back while he's still happy, it reinforces that you leaving is fine. And if he gets to have a stuffed Kong and a nice nape, even better :) Take it from me, a dog who is whining and barking when left can keep it up for a LONG time ;)

He's gorgeous - Harri was 6 months old at Christmas last year and no we didn't trust him. The tree was inside a doggy play pen!
My fella seems to have confidence in the tree being ok lol - I said I won’t be clearing up the mess in that case! Maybe a window tree out of reach this year lol... thanks everyone is very inquisitive about his looks when we are out #proudMum

I would try to record (ideally video but just audio will do) him when you're out to see how he's coping. He may be chewing because he's stressed, or because he's having fun.

Ideally, you start off only leaving him for as long as he's comfortable (whether that's one hour or ten seconds), and build up gradually. Every time you leave him and he gets stressed, it will reinforce that you going out is something to worry about. Every time you leave him and come back while he's still happy, it reinforces that you leaving is fine. And if he gets to have a stuffed Kong and a nice nape, even better :) Take it from me, a dog who is whining and barking when left can keep it up for a LONG time ;)
I was thinking of putting the iPad on record.... and propping up somewhere for 30 minutes... kong and toys etc noted though!

I’m hoping the kennel life he has had has in a way set his routine of being left as those dogs do get left on their own. Some bark. Some sit and sulk. I actually asked battersea how long they leave them along for and they said the longest will be when everyone clocks off at 5:30 and they aren’t back until 8am the next day. They have a warden on site but that’s it. I was surprised to hear that.

ahhh our first dog as a married couple was a battersea dog and she was an absolute darling I hope you and your new by get on as well as we did.
You have to give them a bit of time to get used to it all but they get there.
Loads of people here with great advice so ask away and we have all had disasters and times when we wanted to rip our hair out so dont be worried if you feel that way now and then its normal..

ahhh our first dog as a married couple was a battersea dog and she was an absolute darling I hope you and your new by get on as well as we did.
You have to give them a bit of time to get used to it all but they get there.
Loads of people here with great advice so ask away and we have all had disasters and times when we wanted to rip our hair out so dont be worried if you feel that way now and then its normal..
:-D Hiya! Thanks. He's such a good boy. I just found out he isn't 7 months he's actually 5 months! And I am even more shocked for how behaved he is...

Me and the boyfriend went for a walk last night and there was a lot of playing up off the lead... but it's strange he doesn't play up (touch wood) for me. he did some very good recall moments today - I fully let him off the lead in the woods. Do you think dogs know not to bite the hand that feeds and the one who saved him from the kennels ;-)

He looks a little bit like my Great Dane cross (only in the face) - don't want to make you panic! LOL. We thought ours was going to be a lot smaller, but we are so in love with our rescued tank...I mean dog. ;) We got Drift from The Dogs Trust. We had Drift DNA tested. Feel free to message me if you want to know more. I also had a thread on it too. It was really exciting finding out his mix and helped us to identify where some of his traits were from. Welcome to the wonderful world of rescuing a dog. It's magic even though there are tough days, there is such a great feeling of taking a dog into a loving home.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back