The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hello..... Thinking about purchasing a chocolate chihuahua

Jen

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello good people's....
Am just considering buying a chocolate chihuahua if possible, so currently on here to learn all I possibly can about these beautiful little dogs.

I have kept Rotties and Boxers for over 30 years now, but as I grow older I find myself liking tiny dogs also.

Hope to be talking to some of you owner's real soon.
J.

Hello! Can't give advice on this particular breed- the ones I've known have been a bit yappy IMO but don't know if that was the dog or the owner!o_O Certainly smaller dogs have a lot to recommend them as you get older...except we've got a rescue corgi x who is :mad: :mad: :mad:- and my husband often asks 'why didn't we get a pit-bull for a quieter life?'

Theres a guy who lives near us, hes known as Jan chihuahua.He now only has one chocolate chi but he used to have 3 of various colours.
While I agree the vast majority of these dogs end up as pampered babied yappy snappy monsters this guy proves that it doesnt have to be that way.
He does walk with a carry bag for moments that are too risky or if the walk is too far for his dog( he does walk miles with them) but generally speaking his dogs have always been well trained social dogs who interact with other dogs and people really nicely.

This man takes the time and trains his chis to walk to heel, sit, stay , recall training etc etc, in short he treats these dogs as dogs! What he gets back are really fantastic perky social and seriously adorable dogs who are a credit to him and great ambassadors for their breed.

So my advice is if you want one of these dogs then never forget they are dogs and should be treated and trained as dogs. To do anything else is a great dis-service to them.

My auntie bred fawn with black mask chihuahuas for years and my nan had alot of the bitches that were retired ..they were fab dogs who loved life and could walk quite a long way ...then the handbag dog fashion came in and the chihuahuas were bred smaller and not exercised properly giving them a bad name ....
There are so many advertised that do not look like chihuahuas used to ...my neighbour bought what she thought was a KC reg chihuahua pup which turned out to be a jack russell X chihuahua with a fake KC reg .....

I bumped into Jan last night. He was quite flattered that Id remembered him.
He also says these dogs have been totally ruined by the likes of Paris Hilton and her handbag doggie. His latest dog is Ciaro, the granddaughter of the dogs that my border collie and beagle used to play with. She is so well behaved and even though George kept trying to play she just ignored him no growling or snapping she really was adorable even my OH thought so and he is not normally a chi fan.

I used to have a chubby, ginger (sorry 'red'!) chi called Ian, who used to holiday with me, he was a bit 'special', we often wondered if he was autistic, but I absolutely loved him! We used to call him 'The King'..sadly not with us any more, but definitely not forgotten, he will always have a huge, huge place in my heart..
2016 dogs 009.JPG

I have to say as well, over the years I always had biggish dogs, then happened to rescue 2, 12 year old miniature yorkies, (not at the same time,) and their ability to change to a totally new environment and their incredible zest for life astounded me. And with me they lived as dogs not ornaments and they thrived on it! A dog is still a dog no matter what size they are..:D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back