The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hello!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Lisa Thornton, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Lisa Thornton

Lisa Thornton New Member Registered

Hello all!
    We have two boxers aged 9 (Cooper) and 11 (Dudley). Both are bobtail boxers.
    We'd be interested in hearing from others with older similar sized dogs who are starting to struggle with longer walks. We're thinking about a dog buggy

2. JudyN

JudyN Moderator Moderator Registered

Welcome to the forum :)

I've not used a buggy with a dog. But my first question would be whether your dogs would benefit more from shorter, but much slower and sniffier walks. My old boy towards the end could still do reasonably long walks, but much of the time we were just sitting on a field, or a grassy verge, having a snooze or watching the world go by.

Lisa Thornton and Flobo like this.
  3. Flobo

Flobo Well-Known Member Registered Partner

Hi and welcome to you all!:)
    If you google 'large breed dog buggies' (I just had a quick look) some images come up that may be suitable, lower to the ground and with easy access by the look of them.
    I used to see a lady, quite a few years ago, that just had a flat platform type thing on wheels, her elderly old english sheepdog used to step on and off it at his leisure if he fancied a little bimble and a sniff around. This may of been made for him specifically though as it was probably before you could get dog buggies!

4. Lisa Thornton

Lisa Thornton New Member Registered

Thanks for this. We have definitely moved onto slower shorter walks as Dudley has heart problems as well as general stiffness. We were thinking of the buggy to try to meet both dogs needs as the 9 year old is still fairly active, and to get them both to places with new sniffs too

JudyN likes this.
  5. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

My dog is small but we found a buggy was an absolute Godsend last year when he was injured, needed surgery, and couldn't walk far.

He really looked forward to his ”walks”, it kept him engaged and kept us sane and still married.

Lisa Thornton likes this.