The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hello!

eggr675850

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi !

Iv'e just adopted an 11 week old rescue pet from a charity . Mum was a spaniel who was dumped whilst pregnant. We were lucky enough to get a pup. However, I'm having real problems with the potty. Its only bee a few days I know, but we take him out regularly when we spot he needs it. Signs are he goes silly and starts zooming about or paces around and ignores us . However, when we take him out he get quite upset, jumping around, squirming etc, but really I know he needs the loo! The times I when relent because he gets himself in such a state he then comes in and straight away does it in the house! I don't think it helped that his foster carer kept him with his siblings in the kitchen until adoption. He has his 2nd jab next week so I'm hoping when we get out for walks it will be easier.

I guess his whole world is new to him and he's scared of it and unsettled. Seek advice from the charity who you adapted the pup from - as a rescue dog owner myself, this can be a good source of help, much like this forum! I find that patience is key, you're right to let him out when you spot those signals. Are you able to take him out on a lead when it's quiet? I know he might not yet be happy on a lead, but I think you need to get to a point where he trusts you and he knows he's safe and can go to the loo in peace. It will get easier, he jus needs to understand he's in a safe and loving environment and get into a routine. Hope that helps just a little bit, keep posting back to say how he's doing.

Hello and welcome. As already said, everything is new and either supermexciting or sometimes scary so you will need a bit of patience, but it's very do-able.

We have a guide to toilet training here that you may find helpful but do come back to us if you have any questions or think anything doesn't quite fit your situation. House training

I'd also like to suggest that you start taking him out now, tucked into a jacket, to start exposing him to all the d
Sights and sounds he will encounter as he gets older. If his feet aren't on the ground, he will be perfectly safe and it will make things a lot easier when you can walk him.

I guess his whole world is new to him and he's scared of it and unsettled. Seek advice from the charity who you adapted the pup from - as a rescue dog owner myself, this can be a good source of help, much like this forum! I find that patience is key, you're right to let him out when you spot those signals. Are you able to take him out on a lead when it's quiet? I know he might not yet be happy on a lead, but I think you need to get to a point where he trusts you and he knows he's safe and can go to the loo in peace. It will get easier, he jus needs to understand he's in a safe and loving environment and get into a routine. Hope that helps just a little bit, keep posting back to say how he's doing.
Hi . thanks for reply. I'm just taking him out on lead in back garden for now as he's still not had 2nd jab. i try to take to same spot each time. I think the problem is me. I'm being impatient! some site say stay outside for as long as you need to but I give it 5 minutes as i dont see how him getting in a tizz will help him.he is happy on a lead generally. I got a lead on him early on when he arrived

Also, some dogs just refuse to go in their own garden. Mine is one of those. He will wee, but rarely, and only did a poo in our garden on his first day and when he had the quits. I suspect yours is at the stage that they don't yet know it's their garden so I guess it won't be an issue. Let us know how you get on.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back