The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help - adult dog nipping

DogFather2

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have a 4 year old female, American bulldog X. Great temperament, confident, placid, couch potato (except she's not allowed on couch - and her bed's more comfy anyway!), excellent off lead, sociable, playful with other dogs. Perfect dog - except for one issue: when she get excited by me coming home or people visiting she gets all wiggly and nippy, not hard but not nice for visitors and, she's a big girl, not good if it was a child. Also when playing and I stop sometimes she does same behaviour to try and get me going again.

I've tried ignoring behaviour or ignoring her but she just tries harder and may jump up - as I said she's a big girl!! Redirection works temporarily e.g. Sit with treat or give her toy but she'll start up again once released. And to be honest we all enjoy a doggy's excited greeting - I'd just like to cut out the nipping.

Any suggestions on best way to handle? How could I train her to respond to NO command as general way of stopping her doing something inappropriate, dangerous or harmful. Don't want to use aversive or abusive techniques and don't believe in dominance to gain respect.

Hi DogFather2,

I had this problem with my last English Pointer who wouldn't hert a fly. He would "smile" when greeting but would nip a little when he knew I was going out but he was a very excitable dog and I found that calming him down and reassuring him and being positive was beneficial.

Your girl seems to be the other way round and has this problem when greeting you or your visitors but I am sure it has the same source.

The problem is down to excitement and your giving a treat is rewarding her for her bad behavior!! only give a treat for positive behavior.

I cured my dog by making him sit as soon as I suspected he was about to nip or immediately he startet to get excited and then made a fuss of him,you must be assertive and give loud clear commands so the dog knows you are the boss,bit by bit she will realise that she has to obey you and will sit and not nip. Your praise for her will be reward enough.

Keep trying you will be surprised how quickly she will learn and you both will be happy !!

Best of luck.

Hi Bobbyboy,

Thanks for suggestions. I don't actually give her treats while she is excited or nipping, only when she sits and stays calm for a few seconds. The problem is that the excitement and nipping seems to start up again after she's released. I'd like to be able to give a verbal reprimand but she's such a confident dog she doesn't seem at all bothered, just gives me a smiley look like "Yeah, you and who else??" :- )

I'm not a great fan of the Cesar Millan school of dominance / alpha dog theory and want to create a trusting relationship of mutual respect but with clear boundaries. The question is how to establish a clear meaning to a NO command without conditioning it with punishment?

I'll certainly try to be more assertive with her when she behaves this way and see how she responds, however, I think it might just ramp her up a bit.

BTW her name is Bobbi, coincedentally!!

Thanks again.

2013-09-13 11.16.59.jpg

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back