The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help & Advice Desperately Needed Please!!!

KerriD

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, I really hope someone can help me and give me some advice here?

I have recently been diagnosed with a rare form of small bowel cancer and due to this my health has rapidly declined. Sadly, I can no longer give my 1 year old dog the care and attention she needs and deserves, so decided to rehome her.

She is a beautiful girl, full of energy and really playful. She’s a medium sized pug/Shi Tzu/dachshund mixed breed and I love her very much and want only the best for her.

I contacted her breeder first and foremost and explained my situation to her and she offered to take my dog back for as long as it takes for me to have surgery and treatment. She said if I get well enough to take her back, I could. If not, she would keep her indefinitely.
This sounded like the ideal situation for my dog, and for me.

Only, less than 2 weeks later, she left me a message on WhatsApp to say that my dog had bitten her teenaged son. She didn’t break the skin, but the bite was apparently unprovoked.
The next day, she left me another message saying that my dog had attacked her other dog (who happens to be my dogs father) and that I have to take her back.

I don’t know what to do, I am not at all able to take care of a dog right now. I have to go into hospital on Friday for an emergency blood transfusion and an iron infusion and I am very very sick.

I have no proof that my dog has actually done the things she is accusing her of. She has never showed any kind of aggression to people or other animals before either. She is infact a very sweet loving dog. Her only fault being that she can be very shy with new people/animals and shows signs of seperation anxiety.

My question is, do I have to take my dog back legally? Or can I say no?

I don’t know what to do, please help me?!

I can't advise on the legal perspective, if you need legal advice Trevor Cooper at www.doglaw.co.uk may be able to help.

Another avenue to explore is the Cinnamon Trust, who help people temporarily unable to cope with their pets through illness etc - The Cinnamon Trust – The National Charity for older people, the terminally ill and their pets They may be able to offer temporary fostering?

Last but by no means least, I wanted to say I'm sorry for your diagnosis and hope you make a full and fast recovery.

Is there anyone else that can take her short term ...most rescues will not take a dog with bite history..I am so sorry the only person I know that maybe able to take your dog is Rescue remedies...

I'm so sorry that you are in such a difficult position. You could also try the Dogs Trust - they seem very compassionate. Best wishes for a full and quick recovery.

I'm so sorry that you are in such a difficult position. You could also try the Dogs Trust - they seem very compassionate. Best wishes for a full and quick recovery.
Dogs trust will not take a dog with bite history

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back