The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help. American Akita.

Barb3590

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Our boy started being suddenly scared of fireworks 3 years ago. Now it is any kind of bell, beep, buzz etc. We have tried desensitising, calming treats and spot on calmers, no result. He whines and paces, pants and salivates a lot., ok whwn rhw noise is gone.

Our phones have to be on silent at home. Some tv programs have to be switched off, especially if he hears a mobile phone.

Recently he started scratching and chewing himself. Mainly his sides, inside back legs and his tail (he has made it bleed). We thought fleas (seen on cat) and both dogs and cat were treated. No joy so treated again 5 weeks later. (That was two weeks ago.)

The last two days he is really bad. He goes from room to room whining and whimpering constantly, and still wont settle anywhere.

He hasnt had more than ten minutes nap in the last two days.

It is really upsetting us and we havent slept the last two nights. His constant roaming around whining and scratching up rugs like he is making a bed, but he doesnt, just wanders off elsewhere.

He is so anxious and stressed.

Booked into see the vet in two days. Anyone else had anything like this?

Thankyou.

Poor boy, that sounds really severe.

I'm not normally a fan of medicating dogs but if they are as bad as he is, something to help him relax sounds like something to seriously consider. Modern medication can take the edge off his anxiety without turning him into a zombie.

Animals (including us) can't learn while in a state of high anxiety. It would be like us trying to do long division with a snake or a spider on the desk - all your focus is on that. So if he is given medication, keep up with the desensitisation and counter conditioning.

But remember, you are dealing with an emotion and not just a behaviour, something he has little control over. So it won't be a quick fix. Pairing the quietest of sounds with fabulous treats or rewards helps create a positive conditioned emotional response. This turns scary things into good things in your dog's mind. There are many articles online about this if you want to read more about it.

Poor boy, that sounds really severe.

I'm not normally a fan of medicating dogs but if they are as bad as he is, something to help him relax sounds like something to seriously consider. Modern medication can take the edge off his anxiety without turning him into a zombie.

Animals (including us) can't learn while in a state of high anxiety. It would be like us trying to do long division with a snake or a spider on the desk - all your focus is on that. So if he is given medication, keep up with the desensitisation and counter conditioning.

But remember, you are dealing with an emotion and not just a behaviour, something he has little control over. So it won't be a quick fix. Pairing the quietest of sounds with fabulous treats or rewards helps create a positive conditioned emotional response. This turns scary things into good things in your dog's mind. There are many articles online about this if you want to read more about it.
Hi Joanne.

Thanks for the suggestions.

We have always tried to get him as calm and relaxed as possible before trying anything. It breaks my heart. I suffered panic and anxiety years ago so know how it feels to some extent, but I had the benefit of being able to tell someone and talk about it.
I do like to sit and quietly talk to him even though it doesnt do a great deal. He is 10 yrs old now and want to try my best to make sure he can enjoy the rest of his years.
I think medication might be helpful while we try some more conditioning. Thankyou for your response. X

I do feel for you, it is heart breaking seeing them so distressed, when you can't reassure them... I hope the vet visit goes well.
My only suggestion is to have a look at the anti anxiety dog beds, I have heard from a couple of people that have them for their anxious dogs and they say they've helped. I also got one for my ferret when his brother passed away and I know for sure it helped soothe him...
I know it's not a cure all but it may help a bit...

Although 10 isn't that old, I am wondering about canine cognitive dysfunction, aka dementia. If he has always been an anxious dog, that could possibly tip the balance. Have a read of this: Canine cognitive dysfunction (dementia in dogs)

Do please let us know how the vet visit goes - it's really hard to see your dog struggling.

Thanks Judy. I did wonder that myself. I found some relaxing music for dogs under stress this morning so at least he has slept a good few hours.
X

Hi - the scratching and chewing makes me think of my dog who was suffering from pancreatitis. She would nibble on her sides/inside back legs as she was trying to soothe herself and that was the closest she could get to her tummy.
It doesn't sound like your dog has other symptoms of pancreatitis - but I wonder if there's some other tummy trouble or pain? That would explain the whimpering and lack of sleep too. Best of luck with the vets xx

Hi all. My boy picked up a flea from the cat grrr. So first, is a flea allergy, while at the vets I asked about arthritis in his back end. Yes he has Arthritis, my poor bab.
The anxiety is going to be addressed when hes had his steroids, antibiotics and the cats fleas are sorted. I feel a bit better but we arent finished yet. I just keep hugging him and he isnt complaining as he is a big softie.
Thanks for all your suggestions and concern xxxxx

At least you're headed in the right direction, so hopefully he'll be feeling much happier soon xx

Yes definitely the right direction, at least you have some answers and he's enjoying your hugs :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back