The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help! Could my dog have a worm in her eye?

mazza

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'v been laid low with a flu bug the last couple of days, and today although i still feel pretty rough with a throbbing head that just won't go away and the usual aches and stiffness of flu I made a big effort to take some photos, just to relieve the boredom of daytime tv if nothing else.Took a few close ups of annie but when I got them on the pc I couldn't believe what I saw.

I hope it's clear on the photo here.

If you take a close look at the close up photo of her eye you can see some thing along the rim, at first I thought it was just light reflected off her eye but on closer inspection it looks like a larvae of some sort to me. Have been trying to make it out and am convincing myself the blob on the rim of her eye has a head end to it.Could it be a worm, I'v felt even sicker since looking at the photo. Could it be worms, I cannot imagine what else it could be? Can worms go to their eyes. it has been about 5 months since I wormed her so she is due to be wormed shortly. I've since been looking in her eyes but cannot see anything at all now.

First thing tomorrow is to get some wormer from my vet to be on the safe side. I am feeling so bad about this. I hate the thought of worms inside her.

Has anyone seen anything similar to this.

Annie_eyes.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure it is nothing! Looks like a light reflection to me. Rinse her eye with little bit of cold weak tea and look again.

Hope you will feel better soon. :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it looks light a light reflection too!! In answer to your question though, and this may not be completely correct as its been a while since I studied it, if a human catches worms from a dog they can travel to other parts of the body, including the eye. However, I haven't studied dog anatomy so I don't know if it can travel anywhere apart from the gut in the dog. I think the reason that they travel around the human body is because the worms don't 'recognise' where they are (being in a person and not in a dog!!).

In any case, if it has only been 5 months I think they would still be in the gut at the moment. My dog Lenny has got worms at the moment (and no I'm not a bad mum who doesn't worm, its just last time I wormed him he puked a few hours after but I thought it would be ok - obviously not (w00t) )

My advice would be get her wormed straight away, and if she has any worms they'll come out dead in her poo :x

Once again, I can't remeber all the stuff I learnt on worms so it may not all be correct. Speak to your vet and get her wormed first - also you could do a quick google search on the subject.

Good luck :luck:

Have you been in a field or woods Mandy because some times mine get the odd grass seed which floats up to the surface of the eye when they've been out running not always on the same day either,looks very much like that, I'm sure it's not a worm

*Lesley* said:
Have you been in a field or woods Mandy because some times mine get the odd grass seed which floats up to the surface of the eye when they've been out running not always on the same day either,looks very much like that, I'm sure it's not a worm
Yes mine get that too, Mind you, doesn't Annie just run through the mud :- "

Dont think it would be a worm Mandy - more likely a gras seed or wood shaving of some kind. Give them a quick rinse over like someone else advised - probably something out of the 'mud' from the other day.

Thanks for all the reassurances. I thought if it is a light reflection I could try taking a few more photos and see if the same effect happens. Annie does not appreciate the flash going off too close, so have taken a couple more just to compare. I now think it could be the light reflecting, phew relief. The recent pics do show a light in that area but not as vivid as the original, but I do now think it was a trick of the light.

Looked on the net for info on parasites and there is a worm called Thelazia which can infect dogs eyes but is more commonly infects horses, cattle, sheep and deer. Seems very rare for a dog to get infected as it is spread by a fly. The larvae live in the tear ducts of the eye, when flies feed around the animals eyes, the larvae go into the flys mouth where they live for several days before migrating out the fly's mouth on to another host where it matures into a worm and lives under the eyelids and in the tear ducts. Yuk

mazza said:
Thanks for all the reassurances. I thought if it is a light reflection I could try taking a few more photos and see if the same effect happens. Annie does not appreciate the flash going off too close, so have taken a couple more just to compare. I now think it could be the light reflecting, phew relief. The recent pics do show a light in that area but not as vivid as the original, but I do now think it was a trick of the light.
Looked on the net for info on parasites and there is a worm called Thelazia which can infect dogs eyes but is more commonly infects horses, cattle, sheep and deer. Seems very rare for a dog to get infected as it is spread by a fly. The larvae live in the tear ducts of the eye, when flies feed around the animals eyes, the larvae go into the flys mouth where they live for several days before migrating out the fly's mouth on to another host where it matures into a worm and lives under the eyelids and in the tear ducts. Yuk

:x God, isn't nature revolting sometimes

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back