The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help - Dog Chasing Lurcher

paulahutchings

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Looking for some much needed advice. Freddie - our 7 month old lurcher pup (son of Basil and Socks) is the loveliest pup - outgoing, cheeky, happy. But he has a tendency to chase other dogs and ignore any attempts at recall if other hounds are around (we have taken him to training classes). He is always playful and never aggressive but doesn't know when to stop - either winding up other dogs by running rings around them (and less patient owners) or provoking aggression from other less playful hounds!

Has anyone got any advice as a walk can sometimes become very stressful. We try to keep him on the lead when we see other dogs but he seems to sense them a mile away!

We love him dearly. Someone advised us to get another dog as playmate (he seems to get on with terriers and whippets) but not sure this would be the answer.

Help!!!!! Grateful for any insights.

A frazzled Freddie owner!

I had the same problem when Zephyr was young and my trainer said I must make being with me much more exciting than being with the other dogs. :- "

So he said to take out the tastiest tibits you can find (baked liver, cooked chicken etc) and call him back regularly for the reward (maybe even take him out when he is really hungry) and praise him really well, so he LOVES coming back to you. Also a toy (or in our case a frisbee) makes you just as much a playmate as a dog would be! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good luck, it is a phase many dogs go through at that age! :luck:

Been through this one a few times try shouting stay if youve already taught him to stay if not sit or lie down this works but you have to be firm to the point of embaressment if necessary one of the first commands i learn my dogs is no this you can apply for many things and is often overlooked and a good firm no can stop most things i always berate my dogs verbally and insist they do as their told so even if it means making a fool of yourself shouting em down its worth it in the long run hopr this helps juckler

I had a dog that was like this from a pup there nothing more exciting than meeting someone new out on the fields..... Until I took a squeaky toy with me, I hide it in my pocket then when he goes to run off I call him back and then squeak the toy , he couldent resist every time :D then I would reward him with a game with the squeaky for a few mins then put it back in my pocket ! Now his recall is excellent :wub:

My Zephyr was much the same (still is on occasion and he's 11 months now) but as the others suggest call him back regularly on walks & give really nice treats + a ball or squeaky toy should encourage him to come back even when other dogs are around.

Freddie sounds very similar to Zephyr - full of the joys of spring and loves & wants to play with everyone :) whether they want to or not.

It's probably better to wait until you have got Freddie more under control before you get another pup as otherwise he will teach new dog bad habits! You could go for a slightly older rescue dog (another lurcher/sighthound is best so can keep up) but I should still wait a while.

I suggest you walk him as often as pos with a friend who has an older more sensible doglet who will come back and he can learn by example as well as rewards and get the extra exercise 2 dogs playing together will give him. Putting him on lead every time you see another dog may lead to aggression so be careful.

Just wanted to thank you for all your wise advice about Freddie :thumbsup: . Have been out with him chicken (instead of dog biscuits) and squeaky toy in hand and things have improved considerably :) . Also met an older lurcher called Basil who plays but puts Freddie in his place when required. Also being a tad more firm as suggested which is what is required sometimes.

Will put getting another dog on hold - very sensible advice - and will look for a rescue lurcher in a year's time when fingers crossed Freddie will be as good as gold o:)

Thanks again

A less frazzled Freddie owner!

I have a worse problem. My lurcher is about 2 and a half now and I've had him over a year. He has fairly good recall, but last month he got very nasty to a couple of small terriers (a westie and a similar cross-bred black terrier). It happened twice within 3 weeks, although never in the previous year. The lurcher dragged the dogs, one by the nape of the neck the other by the ear, for some minutes ignoring me shouting at him. The victims were not injured but I am worried about any future episodes. Will I have to muzzle my dog or how can I train him better? After all, don't guard dogs stop attacking if their handlers order them to desist?

Difficult one this its easier to call a dog off a person than another dog as the dog has learnt to respect humans and they regard each other as a pack and a dog will want to be dominant try taking your dog out with a ball and start by learning him to stop chasing as you throw it wait till hes in his stride then berate him off it use stay as your command practice this and you should be able to stop him going after other dogs but as for dogs that come up to you thats a different matter youve got to be pack leader and the dog shouldnt put a foot out of line without getting challenged at the end of the day it would be easier to take the dog where their is nobody about i always exercise in the country exercising a running dog with pets imo is aking for trouble usually from the pet dogs you should be able to sort this out though if your firm enough

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back