The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help for non dog owner

Peter150746

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have been asked to look after a dog - it is used to jumping all over furniture and sleeping with its owner. I don’t want a dog in bed with me and would prefer it stayed on the floor and out of the bedroom. Any suggestions for dealing with such a dog ,both in the home and on walks.
Would much appreciate any suggestions.
Peter

Hello and welcome.

It's a bit of a tough question because the dog will likely also be a bit out of sorts by having been left, and also whether you are looking after it short or long term - i.e. long enough time to invest in spending it on training.

Could you politely say no as the dog doesn’t fit into your lifestyle so they can look for a more appropriate dog sitter?

How long will you be looking after the dog for?

If it's not for long, it would probably be easier to let the dog sleep where he/she wants - put your oldest bedding on the bed, and cover the furniture with throws. Ask the owner what the dog enjoys and to bring round some of his favourite toys and treats. Find out what his daily routine is, and how much walking/exercise/play he gets, and what words he knows. Have you been on a walk with the dog and owner before? If not, I suggest you do, so you can see what the dog is like around other dogs, how nicely he walks on lead and so on. I wouldn't let the dog off lead, because there's a chance that he'll do a runner, even if he's as good as gold with his owner.

Make sure you're able to contact the owner, and also have details of the dog's vet.

Do you really want to do this? I agree with Colette - saying no should be an option, because looking after someone else's dog for any length of time is a big ask even for people who are used to dogs. At minimum, I suggest you try taking the dog for just one day beforehand, before committing to having him overnight as well.

Thanks all for your comments. The dog is my daughter’s, i know the dog well but it’s the first time in five years she has been unable to find someone else so can’t avoid. We’ve talked through things but thought I would seek your external advice .
Will see how we get on together!

Sorry I can only agree with Judy and say try to adapt using coverings - it will be too difficult and stressful for the dog to adjust to your lifestyle- and you may find a more relaxed dog a pleasure to have as a houseguest 😀

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back