The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help! Insect bite or allergy to something has my pups face swollen

MurphyBlue

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hey- we woke up at 4am to find that our Doberman was very stressed and his face is all swollen. We called a vet and she suggested some pirating- but at that time of morning could only get pirateze which we gave him.
He calmed down a little for a while but hasn’t much improved. I’ve tried cold compresses etc but does anyone know how long I have to main until I can give him something else? He’s had 5mg of pirateze at around 5am. I’ll get him to a vet as soon as hey open but just trying to keep him comfortable for a couple more hours!

I personally wouldn’t give him anything else until you’ve seen the vet. Our lab had an allergic reaction once before and we were in your position with vets being closed so we were recommended piriton. It made him so sleepy and quiet :( you wouldn’t want to do more harm.

* This is only a personal opinion though, I am not a vet.

Is he in pain? Or just swollen up?

Hope he’s ok

In general it is VERY dangerous to give dogs 'human' drugs - Piriton and Piriteze have different active ingredients so are not the same thing at all. Remember that thalidomide is safe in mice but disasterous in humans, so some human drugs can be disasterous for dogs.

Having said that, it seems that a lot of people have given their dogs Piriteze without problems. But it would have been safer to call the vet back even if you would be getting them out of bed again.

How is he now?

In general it is VERY dangerous to give dogs 'human' drugs - Piriton and Piriteze have different active ingredients so are not the same thing at all. Remember that thalidomide is safe in mice but disasterous in humans, so some human drugs can be disasterous for dogs.

Having said that, it seems that a lot of people have given their dogs Piriteze without problems. But it would have been safer to call the vet back even if you would be getting them out of bed again.

How is he now?

The packet said it was safe for pets and we were a bit in panic mode so just went for it! He’s calmer, but the swelling hasn’t reduced at all. I’ve been sat in his bed for nearly 4 hours now as he only really settles resting on my arm...

I personally wouldn’t give him anything else until you’ve seen the vet. Our lab had an allergic reaction once before and we were in your position with vets being closed so we were recommended piriton. It made him so sleepy and quiet :( you wouldn’t want to do more harm.

* This is only a personal opinion though, I am not a vet.

Is he in pain? Or just swollen up?

Hope he’s ok

He’s a bit calmer but I think he’s really uncomfortable. I’ve tried a cold compress which he seemed to like for a little while and he’s calmer when he’s resting on me- so I guess I’ll stay in his bed until the vet opens!
Thank you!

I take it you don't know what stung him? No dead bees lying around? If you could be sure (or for any readers in future) bicarbonate of soda relieves pain from a bee sting, and vinegar or lemon juice relieves a wasp sting.

I take it you don't know what stung him? No dead bees lying around? If you could be sure (or for any readers in future) bicarbonate of soda relieves pain from a bee sting, and vinegar or lemon juice relieves a wasp sting.

No, we looked for bees and wasps but can’t see anything. He does have a habit of eating things so I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he’d scoffed a wasp or maybe some kind of spider

The packet said it was safe for pets

My apologies - I don't know that. Does it definitely say it's safe for pets as opposed to being safe for pet allergies (i.e. humans who are allergic to their pets), though?

Actually- that is a good point! I was in such a state this morning I saw ‘pet’ and went for it. I’ll double check.
However he has been to the vet now and the vet wasn’t too concerned about the haphazard drug use- he’s had a steroid injection and some other pills to take for the week.
I’ll definitely arm myself with some kind of dog antihistamines for future use though as it appears that he’s quite allergy prone

My jrt has one piriton daily in the high pollen season. ..this was on vets advice. ..i always carry some with me in every bag ...

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back