The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help Is She Right

sharron

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all,

When i took Zeb to school yesterday we mate a greyhound. Shes lovely but im just abit unsure about the owner, I now that i have not really spooken to her but i have heard from people that know her. She has told everyone that because she is an exracer she will never be allowed off lead, And that a 10 min walk is fine to give her. She has only had her for a few days but the poor dog was walked to school on an extending lead and then tied to a fience will she took one of her 5 kids into school. Is she right and im i being silly or should i be right to worry :unsure:

sharron said:
Hi all,When i took Zeb to school yesterday we mate a greyhound. Shes lovely but im just abit unsure about the owner, I now that i have not really spooken to her but i have heard from people that know her.  She has told everyone that because she is an exracer she will never be allowed off lead, And that a 10 min walk is fine to give her.  She has only had her for a few days but the poor dog was walked to school on an extending lead and then tied to a fience will she took one of her 5 kids into school.  Is she right and im i being silly or should i be right to worry  :unsure:

sorry to be childish on such a serious thread.... :b ....but i hope "mate" was a typo...lol :oops: :lol: :- " :p

well its not the ideal some peoepl never let exracers of lead I do with mine but have to make sure I am in a secure space well fenced with nothing they want to chase. but it does depend on each individul greyhound some of mine will walk along side me and never move others will be off like a shot at the sight of a leaf moving.

The minimue exersice i would say would be 2 20minet walks a day plus a garden to play in. have a chat with her again see if you can find out if she got the dog from a rescue and if so voice your concerns with them.

i would never ever tie any dog up outside for any reson its just not safe. Ot looks like she has taken the dog on without realy knowing its needs dosnt mean shes a bad owner but she needs to learn and fast for the dog sake

~whitecross whippets~ said:
sharron said:
Hi all,When i took Zeb to school yesterday we mate a greyhound. Shes lovely but im just abit unsure about the owner, I now that i have not really spooken to her but i have heard from people that know her.  She has told everyone that because she is an exracer she will never be allowed off lead, And that a 10 min walk is fine to give her.  She has only had her for a few days but the poor dog was walked to school on an extending lead and then tied to a fience will she took one of her 5 kids into school.  Is she right and im i being silly or should i be right to worry  :unsure:

sorry to be childish on such a serious thread.... :b ....but i hope "mate" was a typo...lol :oops: :lol: :- " :p

yes it was a typo

fallenangel said:
well its not the ideal some peoepl never let exracers of lead I do with mine but have to make sure I am in a secure space  well fenced with nothing they want to chase. but it does depend on each individul greyhound some of mine will walk along side me and never move others will be off like a shot at the sight of a leaf moving.  The minimue exersice i would say would be 2  20minet walks a day plus a garden to play in. have a chat with her again see if you can find out if she got the dog from a rescue  and if so voice your concerns with them.

i would never ever tie any dog up outside for any reson its just not safe. Ot looks like she has taken the dog on without realy knowing its needs  dosnt mean shes a bad owner but she  needs to learn and fast for the dog sake

Thank for that, there is samething that just does not feel right.

just see what you can fined out I used to do greyhound rescue and know theres a lot of missleading things peoepl are told about ex racers foning out were she got the dog from is a good start and if then shes still convinced the dog only needs 5 mins walk and stuff I will see if i can fined anuy old leaflets for you to give her in a frendly manour

Thank wendy, i just would like to make sure that the dog is ok, and that she has the right info.

sharron

My greyhounds only go off the lead in a secure area (I mean really secure!), but they get on average at least 1 1/2 hours walks a day (usually three walks a day), and they play in the garden.

I would never walk them on a flexi lead - if they take off it could be really dangerous, also I would never leave them tied up anywhere, in case they were stolen, or got hurt if they panicked or were attacked etc. Not only that, I don't think it's fair - assuming the dog is rescue, you don't know what's happened to her in the past, she may have been dumped, and if she is tied up somewhere, she may think she is being dumped again and get really scared.

Tiny was dumped when he was a baby, and he is really clingy, he won't let me out of his sight. Max was burned with cigarettes, and if he smells cigarette smoke outside, he panics - although he is getting much better. :huggles:

Hi claire,

the park next to the school is will gated and alot of dogs use it. I must admitte that will it was tied up alot of kids were around it, which i thought would of been scary for it.

sharron said:
Hi claire,the park next to the school is will gated and alot of dogs use it.  I must admitte that will it was tied up alot of kids were around it, which i thought would of been scary for it.

Yep probably, especially if it's not used to kids! I know greyhounds are laid back (well mine are) but you still have to be sensible! If the dog has come straight from racig kennels life, there may well be a lot of things it's not used to. I dread to think what might happen if it sees a cat or small dog or something on the other side of the road when it is tied up! :eek:

I tend to use either the rescue centre where I got my boys (they have a secure paddock) or a field that is well fenced and empty. I don't think I'd want to let my two off in a park in case they went rocketing up to someone and scared them - but that's just me and I'm paranoid - it might be fine for some people! (w00t)

sharron said:

Hi, I have a rescued racer, a beautiful, six stone black and white boy and really had to jump through hoops to get him. the rescue group I dealt with were very strict about every aspect of adoption and i,m glad about that. Greyhounds need a minimum of 2 twenty minute walks a day and my boy has the garden to play in. i signed to say I would never leave him tied up anywhere (I wouldn't anyway) because greyhounds are stealable, they may get scared - anything could happen. I would say if it doesn;t feel right it probably isn't. Could you start to talk to the lady - perhaps by admiring the greyhound and finding out where he came from. I have had mine a year and only now do i let him off in secure places - except my garden which I had to get fenced in. Do you know where the lady lives - is her garden fenced? An extending lead is a no no for a greyhound, they speed at which they can take of if perhaps they see a cat or whatever, could do it serious damage. i know of a greyhound that died because of a dog on an extending lead. It ran straight at the lead at such speed that it sadly died. if this greyhound did come from a rescue association i would worry not only about the owner but the association too as they do not seem to have laid down ground rules.

I used to walk an ex racer and the owner at the time said that she can never be let off the lead (adopted from Dogs Trust).

She left Leeds and just gave her away to an unsuitable family and I managed to rescue her from them (they tried to race her and when she couldn't/wouldn't they beat her, she was 9 at the time!!)

I couldn't home her at the time (I wanted to and tried but it wasn't to be :( ) so I went back to the Dogs Trust with her and they managed to home her in a week (she's a beautiful blue)

They also got in touch with and told off this person for not taking her back in the first place!!!!

Anyway...I say her on Otley Chevin a few months ago...off the lead and having a whale of a time running free...

So I think with the right person and in the right place an ex racer can go off the lead. :D

I don't know anything about the excersise of greyhound but I would be more concerned about her tying it to the fence (w00t) what if the lead broke and it ran into the road,or people were pestering it, I also would worry about it getting stolen :(

hellybobs said:
She left Leeds and just gave her away to an unsuitable family and I managed to rescue her from them (they tried to race her and when she couldn't/wouldn't they beat her, she was 9 at the time!!)

[/quote

OMG that's sick! So glad you weree able to save her and that she is happy now! :huggles:

Id get chatting to her some more if you can? Find out which rescue she got her from?

If you still have concerns in a few weeks you can always anonymously speak to the resuce and put forward your concerns. (i think most rescues legally own the dog for life, should things not work out they take the dog back?).

Tying her to a fence and leaving her there sounds a bit dubious :angry: The off-lead thing varies with greyhounds (sometimes even the most experiences grey owners dont let certain dogs off-lead) and the 10 mins walk a day sounds a bit dodgy :(

Maybe she'll prove to be unfit to have her but then on the other hand maybe she's just inexperienced and needs some friendly and educated guidance?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick update.

Iv not seen the dog since talking to you guys,although i have seen the possible owner. (but not to talk to as im always in a rush in the mornings. Will keep you posted if i hear any more

sharron

Better to leave the dog on a lead if there is nowhere suitable to let her off and also the dog may have done a wrist or other nasty injury that may mean fast galloping is dangerous.

If the dog was well secure he may of enjoyed going to achool and being with children and getting attention.

I agree you should get to know her and see what she's been told as she may of been given the dog with mis information about walking etc and ignore the school gossips

I'v just spooken to the lady will the grey, Its her friends dog who is 8 years old, exracer. Which she has had since Jan this year.

she well run off if gates or doors are open, I dont know what condtion she was in before she was rehomed but her coat is really thin and dry with flakie patches and she is really thin (can easliy see all her ribs and spine.) She is walked on a flexi lead (all the time) which is not lockable.

She does seem like areally nice grey, and is friendly to people and towards Zeb.

well if she frnds had the dog since jan she should have it in lovly condion by now and a good weight healthy but slender looking an the coat should be molting now so should be on the thiker side all my lots are. just pretend your intrsede in homing an greyhound and sii if you can fined out were the dog came from if its from a rescue a follow up home check might be needed

fallenangel said:
well if she frnds had the dog since jan she should have it in lovly condion by now and a good weight  healthy but slender looking an the coat should be molting now so should be on the thiker side all my lots are. just pretend your intrsede in homing an greyhound and sii if you can fined out were the dog came from if its from a rescue a follow up home check might be needed

Tryed to fined out but she did not know and was a bit reluctant to ask her friend.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back