The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help! My dogs skin is red raw from scratching constantly!

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
So glad Rox is getting better.
My dog was a very itchy puppy and she ended up having an allergy test, apoquel and monthly immunotherapy injections. Thankfully she never had open sores. By time she was three and a half years old I was able to reduce her injections and apoquel. The apoquel was a great help but I’m not so sure about the injections. I think the turning point was when I put her on oil of evening primrose. Without this, I wouldn’t have been able to reduce the Apoquel. Nowadays, she can go for months before needing the odd apoquel.

@Caro Perry it's true that it might turn out cheaper but only if the allergy is one simple thing, if it's more than one and not the normal things, it costs extra to test for more allergens. It's not easy to decide but we'll see what the vet says next week and go from there!
Thank you @millymojo1 that's good to know, gives me hope! I will look into evening primrose :)

Spikes allergy test was for everything I wasn’t offered anything else and it came back he was deathly (vets words) allergic to fleas and dust mites, all types of grasses and other things I can’t remember off the top of my head. I think he had a two week course of steroids and antibiotics then the vet said to get him piriton tablets from the chemist as it was much cheaper from there than from the vets. He was as taking two a day for a long time then I tried him on one and then down to half, this was over a couple of years mind, now he only has one if I think he’s looking a bit pink around his mouth or itchy

C97233D1-9D4B-41F2-B2FB-AD1D60DD5340.png

Oh didn’t realise I answered already lol. Anyway a pic to show how bad his allergies can be, that’s his belly from one teeny tiny little black dot so small a creature I couldn’t tell you what it was. Piriton for him has been amazing.

My vet also suggested Piriton for Harri when he had some itchy spots. It worked like a dream and broke the itch/scratch cycle very fast. It was certainly an allergic response to something but we're till not sure what and as it was a one off so far I haven't felt compelled to try and find out what it was

My vet also suggested Piriton for Harri when he had some itchy spots. It worked like a dream and broke the itch/scratch cycle very fast. It was certainly an allergic response to something but we're till not sure what and as it was a one off so far I haven't felt compelled to try and find out what it was
Oh that’s good! I tried these before the beginning of the treatment but they didn’t work. The skin vet said they don’t work on all dogs. Shame because it would have been so much easier.

View attachment 111977684
Oh didn’t realise I answered already lol. Anyway a pic to show how bad his allergies can be, that’s his belly from one teeny tiny little black dot so small a creature I couldn’t tell you what it was. Piriton for him has been amazing.

Oh my god, bless him that looks awful! Glad piriton is working for him, Rox never looks bumpy like that, just pink and thinning hair.
So far so good with the apoquel! :)

Last edited:
Awww bless her, so glad the treatment is working for her. He also used to get pink skin and thinning hair along with big scabs, bald patches etc. Funnily enough I stopped his yearly vaccinations and his skin has not broken out for years, maybe coincidence, maybe not:confused:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back