The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help Needed on Puppy Agression

I don't think this is too much of an issue but I thought I would ask anyway. Blue is now 7 months and about 40Kg so he is a big puppy who is extremely strong. Today he went mental with Bev, doing the biting thing, jumping up, paws on her chest etc and took her ages to get him under control. She even had to call me to come and help her out. They were out for a walk at the time, just round the corner and he has done this before but only a couple of times and only recently. He doesn't do it with me, only with Bev so I was thinking is this is last "hurrah" of puppy-hood or is this a new behaviour problem we need to overcome ?

Thanks in advance for all the help. We really do appreciate it.

With being crossed with a saint bernard I would nip this in the bud now ..what is he walked on ..harness ...collar x

Is that similar to a gentle leader ..

It might be the onset of adolescence making him a bit wilder. Was this at the start of the walk or the end? Sometimes, shorter, more frequent walks can help. I don't know if you've read this before, but it might help: Jumping up/getting overexcited on walks

When we go away in the motorhome and road walk we use gentle leaders I have found they are the best in keeping control over your dog and they are very kind to the dog ..do you carry treats with you

When we go away in the motorhome and road walk we use gentle leaders I have found they are the best in keeping control over your dog and they are very kind to the dog ..do you carry treats with you

He has loads of treats. I'll check out the gentle leader though

If possible could you both walk with him for a while until he gets over this phase 😃

If possible could you both walk with him for a while until he gets over this phase 😃

Hi TinyTom

That's the plan for now, we will walk him together on an evening and then Bev will walk him on her own with me "crouching through the bushes" in case Blue starts jumping again. I've ordered a "Gentle Leader" from Amazon so hopefully it will arrive today and I can see what it's like.

I realised yesterday that I hadn't mentioned Bev has been away for just over a week on holiday with her friends and she has only been back a few days. I think this was the first time she has walked him in about 2 weeks - maybe this has something to do with it ?

He was OK with me this morning when he went over the meadows but I'll go out with Bev later and see how it goes.

Thank you (and everyone) for your help

A quick update.

Blue seems to have calmed down again now and there is no more biting and jumping around which is great. I did try the Gentle Leader but it ended up a bit of a disaster because once its on the part that attaches to the lead dangles under Blues chin, which he finds a great game trying to chase and bite it. Once I (finally) got the lead connected, he just jumped around even more trying to bite the leader again, so I went back to his figure of eight.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

We are ok the journey with ours at the moment...she just goes for our 16 yr old. Interestingly, same time frame for biting...early eve...or first thing on the morning. I think she's a grumpy tired puppy...

Blue is just under 8 months old now and for the past few months he has been brilliant with us. However, in the last week or so it's as if he has suddenly reverted to his bad puppy behaviour again. He is jumping up and biting Bev, weeing on the kitchen floor (where he used to) and pulling on the lead (we trained him to walk to heel and he was really good at it).

We haven't done anything different or changed his food ... nothing like that so I was wondering what it could be ?

I've heard a couple of people say this is normal as the puppy grows into a dog and they have a last spurt of the bad behaviour before it goes away, but I'm not sure if thats true.

Any ideas or help much appreciated thank you !

Yes, it's true - think of when your delightful little child becomes a teenager ;)

Though I'm not sure if going backwards in toilet training is common at this stage, so there's always a possibility of a urine inifection, I guess - others may know better. You've not been away with/without him at all, and he's not had any stressful experiences? Most likely, it's just his age and you just need to persist with what's worked before and have faith that he'll come through it.

Yes, it's true - think of when your delightful little child becomes a teenager ;)

Though I'm not sure if going backwards in toilet training is common at this stage, so there's always a possibility of a urine inifection, I guess - others may know better. You've not been away with/without him at all, and he's not had any stressful experiences? Most likely, it's just his age and you just need to persist with what's worked before and have faith that he'll come through it.

That's very reassuring. Thank you for your help.

I'm not sure if going backwards in toilet training is common at this stage, so there's always a possibility of a urine inifection
A urine infection is possible but I have also heard of a lot of pups seeming to forget their toilet training at this age. And it's usually our fault - we take our eye off the ball regarding getting them out as much; or we think that because yesterday he held his toilet for X hours he can do the same today (not necessarily the case); we slacken off on the praise and rewards.

A urine infection is possible but I have also heard of a lot of pups seeming to forget their toilet training at this age. And it's usually our fault - we take our eye off the ball regarding getting them out as much; or we think that because yesterday he held his toilet for X hours he can do the same today (not necessarily the case); we slacken off on the praise and rewards.

He seems to be OK today with toileting so I'll keep up the rewards and letting him out regularly.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back