The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help Needed

katep1

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone

Artie is now a lovely 4 months old pup & doing so well in so many ways ........ except he will insist on grabbing a mouthfull of dog poo whenever the opportunity arises! :x He eats a specially formulated large dog puppy food (Hills) so I would like to think that it's not because his diet is missing something. Can anyone help????

Thanks

Kate.

All my whippets are very fond of poo, sometimes other dogs' is much tastier than their own YUCK!! Sighthounds seem particularly fond of this disgusting habit.

I have been told that adding pineapple to their food helps to stop it apparently it doens't taste too good when it comes out!!

I would have to feed all the dogs that are walked in my area pineapple to be of any use to me, so I can't say that it works! I just tend to run round like something demented screaming leave it. Waste of time really!!

Good luck, it really is a stomach churner isn't it? :x :x

Pineapple does help stop dogs eating poo but its not the taste of it that comes out of the other end, its certain enzimes thats in the pineapple that does it.

My vet also told me a big reason why dogs will eat poo is because they are not getting enough nutrients from their food and therefore will try to get them in other ways i.e. eating poo, eating earth and flowers etc.

Although all dry food say they have all the nutrients dogs need, some foods don't suit all dogs and thats when the lovely eating habits start.

try putting Rock sulphur in your dogs water that usally helps. pineapple juice in the feed also helps too, i'd only put two -three teaspoons in though as it's been known to cause the trots.

Three of my Whippets have this disgusting habit. :x The terrier doesn't do it neither does my eldest Whippet o:)

Monty, started started eating his and other dogs poo at around the same age as yours and the vets said it could be because he was having a growth spurt and needed more food, so we upped the qantity of his dried food (Pro plan) and hey presto he stopped eating poos!!

Hope this helps, it certainly is a disgusting habit! :x

Thank you all so much for your help. It is very comforting, in a strange sort of way, to know that there are other owners out there galloping round after their sight hounds scooping the poop so fast it hardly hits the ground!!!!!

I think we will try giving him more food first - do any of you use Hills or have you any other recomendations for high nutrient dry food.

If that fails then we will try pineapple juice

Kate & Ifti

I was told to give them pineapple in there the food,but chop it up small. they will eat it, so when they poooow it out they do not like the,taste or the smell :x i hope that works :thumbsup:

Oliver was the worst for this! I once caught him being very attentive to Freddie when he was, er, producing :b and then saw him catching the lumps before they hit the ground! :x They were still steaming!! (w00t) Talk about fresh! Luckily he grew out of it. Albie went through a similar phase although nowhere near so bad. :)

squizzle racing said:
I was told to give them pineapple in there the food,but chop it up small. they will eat it, so when they poooow it out they do not like the,taste or the smell :x   i hope that works :thumbsup:
I've not heard that one before but I will definately try it on my Borzoi ,although it won't solve things completly as he cleans up after my lurcher, next doors cats and the horse on my local fields.also don't forget to worm him regulary as well if your babys got this charming habit. Any ideas on how to stop them eating slugs and snails while we are on the subject....Terry

OK I'm outing Sparky, he does it as well if he gets the chance. Andrew once told one of his friends about Sparky's disgusting habit and meeting him when we were out one day and carrying a poo bad he asked "Oh is Sparky going on a picnic"

I wonder if there is a common link amongst the dogs that do it and if so it wouldn't be nice to know what it is.

Jenny and licks for everyone from Sparky.

4 of ours do it and Rose is 12 now and has never stopped, if you do find a cure let us know, because its so disgusting. :x

Binx does this :x :x he picked it up from Indi my yorkie! we had Indi castrated and he stopped doing it, but Binx still does this, I've tryed the pineapple and it didn't work :(

so now, I have to scan the garden every two hours for poo and pick it up straight away (BTW it's only Chance's poo he eats :x :x ) and only in the garden too, he doesn't bother one bit with poo if were out (weird dog (w00t) )

I have a very weak tummy :x , and if I see him doing this I'm heaving and trying to run down the garden to pick it up, my hubby thinks this is very funny :angry:

Hi Kate - glad to hear Artie is well and keeping you on your toes!! Zair luckily has not inherited this horrid poo eatinghabit, but our old lurcher was a terrible poo eater and would hang around my other dog whilst out on walks waiting for a meal!!! He started from a very young pup and never grew out of it - we just made sure we were extra vigilant out walking and tried to chase him away as soon as possible - not the best method of stopping the habit I know! I feed Zair on Proplan and he loves it - it is a high protein food and having read about it on the web it has a lot of good things said about it - it might be worth a try for Artie? When they both get a little bigger and up to a longer walk perhaps we could meet up and go for a brothers re-union walk somwhere in the west country?

Really like the idea of a Socks and Basil pup reunion!

Artie is one fantastic pup and it would be good to see how his brothers and sisters are. How about some pics?

:cheers:

Kate and ifti

hey come on guys, its only disgusting to US. To whips it might be like deep fried brie, real tasty! I for one am not going to test out the theory that it tastes just like camambert but can say that my lurcher was in exstacy when any dog became "doggy two tails", we just made sure he didnt kiss us right after! :x

someone I know 'planted' poohs around their garden and sprinkled them liberally with chilli powder. Dog ate...and never touched a poo again. I'm too much of a softie to dare try this. It might well work...

sophie said:
someone I know 'planted' poohs around their garden and sprinkled them liberally with chilli powder. Dog ate...and never touched a poo again. I'm too much of a softie to dare try this. It might well work...
I thought Freddie preferred Kitty treats (w00t) . Lily does this too, straight from the bot if she can :x :x .

Hope to get some pics of Zair this weekend so will post some on so you can see what Arties brother looks like now. Some more pics of Artie would be lovely too - your last picture of him was soooo cute! Jonathan posted a photo of Slinky a week or so ago and she is also growing up fast and appears to be a smashing looking pup - the whole litter have done Sox and Basil proud I think!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back