The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Help with cooking for my old dog!

Sonia1309

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My dog is nearly 13 years old and has been going off her dry food recently. I've always tried to jazz it up by adding scraps of meat or gravy but even that isn't tempting her lately. She had a full check up at the vets this week and she's lost 4kg over the last two years (she's a lab cross). He's concerned about the weight loss but couldn't find anything wrong. I've cooked her some chicken and brown rice a couple of times this week which she's eaten with enthusiasm, so it looks like I'm going to have to cook for her! The only trouble is I'm not sure what to cook or how much she should have? I know there are various foods dogs shouldn't eat but what is good for them to have (that doesn't require loads of preparation). Also, should I vary it much or is that likely to upset her system?

Cooking meats destroys a lot of the goodness. (but it can still be better than grain based kibble). Vary your meat types as much as possible and remember to include some offal each week, all raw bones are fantastic and very nutritious but don't ever feed them cooked!

Cooked meat will be best if it remains very pink/rare when cooked.

It is always difficult to say how much a dog needs, you have had your girl for 13 years and must know when her weight looks just right, (oldies are better if they are not too heavy, they remain a lot more active) use your own judgment and adjust her amount up or down yourself. You can always add some gently steamed veg to bulk her meals, most things green and and variety of root vegetables will be fine too.

A home made diet does not have to be "ballanced" every day, a good variety of different meats that include gristle, bone and fat are essential for a healthy diet, the diet will ballance itself over a period of time (a few weeks) .

Have you ever offered your old lady any raw meat ? It's a fantastic product and the oldies seem to do so well on it!

"

It does not have to be a messy process as many good pet stores have freezers and a good selection of different frozen meats. "Natures Menu" also to be found in the freezers make lovely "Complete" frozen meals in chunks, (just take out what you need, thaw for a couple of hours and ready to eat! )

Last edited by a moderator:
For such an old girl I would just cook what she likes. Chicken and rice is fine. You might like to add a little calcium to it like a product called Stress. I did some research a while ago and that is all that is lacking from a chicken and rice diet.

You could always cook a double amount of your own meals, assuming you eat meat, and give her that.

For convenience when you have not cooked anything for her you could keep some tins of Chappie handy. It is a complete diet in a tin and lots of vets recommend it as being readily digested by poorly dogs.

Do go back to your vet if she continues to worry you.

For such an old girl I would just cook what she likes. Chicken and rice is fine. You might like to add a little calcium to it like a product called Stress. I did some research a while ago and that is all that is lacking from a chicken and rice diet.

You could always cook a double amount of your own meals, assuming you eat meat, and give her that.

For convenience when you have not cooked anything for her you could keep some tins of Chappie handy. It is a complete diet in a tin and lots of vets recommend it as being readily digested by poorly dogs.

Do go back to your vet if she continues to worry you.
Hi, thanks for your reply. We have another check up at the vets in 6 weeks. I don't think I would want to switch her to raw food as suggested by the previous poster simply because of her age, I fear it might be too much of a change so I will stick to meat and rice with a few chopped veggies! I have noticed though that when she's had some of what I've cooked she goes to her dry food and has a munch on that, so maybe she just needs to get her taste buds going to get her appetite back!

I did not actually suggest that you changed over to raw, I just asked if you had ever offered your old lady any before and that it is a fantastic product for oldies. Convenient and clean!

I did however suggest that you offered an assortment of different meats with gristle and fat and that they would be more nutritious if not over cooked but offered a bit on the pink side! (cooking does destroy a lot of nutritional values)

Offal should still be part of a home made diet whether cooked or not. If you give bones of any kind they should never be cooked as they become brittle and can splinter. (very dangerous)

Just cooked chicken with rice would be lacking a lot of nutrients and is not completely ballanced, but I am sure your old lady will do quiet well with your home cooked meals and enjoy them too.

You could also consider adding good quality suppliments for peace of mind, I find the "Smart Barf" product good value. (I do find it smells a bit herby which many dogs may not like)

I did not actually suggest that you changed over to raw, I just asked if you had ever offered your old lady any before and that it is a fantastic product for oldies. Convenient and clean!

I did however suggest that you offered an assortment of different meats with gristle and fat and that they would be more nutritious if not over cooked but offered a bit on the pink side! (cooking does destroy a lot of nutritional values)

Offal should still be part of a home made diet whether cooked or not. If you give bones of any kind they should never be cooked as they become brittle and can splinter. (very dangerous)

Just cooked chicken with rice would be lacking a lot of nutrients and is not completely ballanced, but I am sure your old lady will do quiet well with your home cooked meals and enjoy them too.

You could also consider adding good quality suppliments for peace of mind, I find the "Smart Barf" product good value. (I do find it smells a bit herby which many dogs may not like)
I have given her little bits of raw steak and liver as a treat before and she's loved them! I will add chopped veggies and some offal too. Is smart barf available in most pet shops?

PM me if you are interested and I can put a balanced diet together for you. Home-prepared diets are often deficient in the same nutrients so wont be balanced over time. They need to be balanced with supplements. A multi vitamin/mineral won't do this. Supplements need to be given to match the diet

Smart Barf can be googled and purchased on line, there are some outlets that sell the product but I would contact smart barf and see if they can give you any details. Maybe you could ask for a sample!

I am lucky my vet supplies the product,

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back