The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

hi everyone my latest rescue is an 18 month old male. I'm always looking to learn behavioural tips.

rockinghorse

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have a patterdale named Ted. He is very good with dogs but anxious with meeting people surprisingly. I am having problems when he travels. He is anxious, lip smacking, nose running and usually vomits within 1st hour. Doesn't matter if he falls asleep. I've built up to 1 hour slowly. He had no proper lead training and lunged into traffic especially in the wet. It's the tyres he focuses on.Now he is on a slip lead it's quite mild. I'm currently thinking about a crate in the car. I sit on the back seat with him and he has a chew toy which he chews very hard. He has doggy holidays and lots of walks on moors and beach to look forward to. Any advice please.

Does he use a crate already? If not, it might make the car more stressful.

I wonder if the car is stressful because he is nauseous. A ginger biscuit before you set out might help.

Thanks very much I'll give it a go. I feed him at least an hour before were possible it may give it a chance to absorb?. he was crated with another dog at previous home not in the car. Thanks.

How long have you had him? Our whippet is a rescue and demonstrated the same initial symptoms as Ted when we first adopted her but we started with short car journeys and in no time we had no further issues. Take him for very short journeys in the car for walks and to do exciting fun things and, like Mabel, he’ll associate the car with good stuff. She’ll now travel from Herefordshire to Cornwall with no issues. Best of luck. It sounds more like anxiety bringing on nausea.

How’s Ted getting on? Is he making progress re car travel?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back