The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hi, im new to this and looking for cool tech.

DPalouG

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello everyone,

Im new to the world of dogs, I used to be a fish person but now I want to make the step into dogs by adopting a friend's dog.

I am quite into technology and I would like to know what kind of technologies for dogs are out there, I heard about automatic food dispensers, gates that you control with your phone, pet scanners for the phone, LED collars...

Hope you people could help me to decide which one are good!

Honestly, I would forget about the gadgets for now. Wait until your dog has settled in, then think about what equipment would actually fill a need. Automatic food dispensers are pointless if you're there to feed the dog (which would be preferable anyway), there will be no need to control gates if you don't need gates, no need for LED collars if you find you can't let your dog off the lead when it's dark anyway...

The danger of being tempted by the technology first is that you will put the requirements of the gadgets before those of the dog, who shouldn't just be there as an excuse to try out fun gadgets (I'm not suggesting this is your reason for getting a dog, but I do know the lure of smart gizmos, having a gadget-mad son).

Actually, you've got me thinking - having a food-guarding dog, I can see the temptation of a remotely controlled dog gate........

Hi Judy,

Thanks for the heads up, I understand the dog comes always first and assure you that all his needs will be covered, Im just the kind of person that like tech stuff not only for the fun but for the simplicity.

For example I read about this dog gate that reads your chip number an allows your dog to go in and out of the house to the garden, and you can set it up with the phone, which means that (I live alone) if i need to go to shop I can let him to go out and know when he come back, that kind of things, its not a puppy, my friend could not afford to keep him anymore.

Also another questions I have is regarding the chip registration, I live in the UK so do I need to take it to the vet to modify the owner details? I also read that they charge you for updating the details, is that right? I found a database different from the others called PetScanner that you can register your dog with a scanner for the phone, it looks quite new, any feedback on it? and I dont know which database is registered to but could the dog be registered with two databases if I decide to go with a different one?

Im picking Brownie next week and i am really excited!

You can do the change of chip details on line if you know which chip he has. You can change the other details at the vet. They charge you for change of owner but not change of address.I had to pay £16.00 When I took over Dudley from my grandaughter

The only tech thing I have is a bloody good lure I made myself. Apart from that I'm all hands on.

Hi Judy,

Thanks for the heads up, I understand the dog comes always first and assure you that all his needs will be covered, Im just the kind of person that like tech stuff not only for the fun but for the simplicity.

For example I read about this dog gate that reads your chip number an allows your dog to go in and out of the house to the garden, and you can set it up with the phone, which means that (I live alone) if i need to go to shop I can let him to go out and know when he come back, that kind of things, its not a puppy, my friend could not afford to keep him anymore.

Also another questions I have is regarding the chip registration, I live in the UK so do I need to take it to the vet to modify the owner details? I also read that they charge you for updating the details, is that right? I found a database different from the others called PetScanner that you can register your dog with a scanner for the phone, it looks quite new, any feedback on it? and I dont know which database is registered to but could the dog be registered with two databases if I decide to go with a different one?

Im picking Brownie next week and i am really excited!
Hello everyone,

Im new to the world of dogs, I used to be a fish person but now I want to make the step into dogs by adopting a friend's dog.

I am quite into technology and I would like to know what kind of technologies for dogs are out there, I heard about automatic food dispensers, gates that you control with your phone, pet scanners for the phone, LED collars...

Hope you people could help me to decide which one are good!
Dog CAM is a bit of tech I love. Can watch him from anywhere on my phone. Have three LED collars rechargeable via USB.
Have got a hatch on the chicken coop than opens and closes automatically at set times. Or can be set to open in the light and close at dusk. Don't know if it would work for dogs though

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back