The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hi New Here And A Question...

pinklady

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone! really happy to find this site. I have a Retired Greyhound and a whippetX.

Sophie. my greyhound has been with us 3 yrs and is a treasure. Always gentle always happy and a little bit 'blonde'! lol

She has an area at the back of her legs (thigh area iykwim) that is bald. she came to us with kennel sores which healed up fairly quickly, but the hair never grew back..

I was wondering if there are any tips to encourage growth and if this is a common problem? each year she gets a downy, patchy covering of hair and my hopes increase that she may get some proper hair regrowth, but then the area goes bald again.

Many thanks

sarahxx

pinklady said:
Hi everyone! really happy to find this site. I have a Retired Greyhound and a whippetX.
Sophie. my greyhound has been with us 3 yrs and is a treasure. Always gentle always happy and a little bit 'blonde'! lol

She has an area at the back of her legs (thigh area iykwim) that is bald. she came to us with kennel sores which healed up fairly quickly, but the hair never grew back..

I was wondering if there are any tips to encourage growth and if this is a common problem? each year she gets a downy, patchy covering of hair and my hopes increase that she may get some proper hair regrowth, but then the area goes bald again.

Many thanks

sarahxx

hello and welcome to k9 :thumbsup:

ive been told kaolin and morphine can help re growth :blink:

dont know how true it is but im sure others will have other suggestions :thumbsup:

when we had horses with hair loss we used cornucresine ,(available from saddlerys) its for hooves and dont know why or how it works it just does! my mum has just got an ex racer and he has this problem but my dad said to try vaseline?? dont know if that works but worth a try? :thumbsup:

good luck and what about some pics for us all??? :)

get some liverine unction from your pet suppliers,it grows hair on a billiard ball! ;)

posh totty said:
good luck and what about some pics for us all???  :)

219493471.jpg

my lovely sophie! you can see the bald area in this photo i think...

I use wheatgerm oil from Dorwest on Harrys back legs and its all grown back 8)

kris said:
get some liverine unction from your pet suppliers,it grows hair on a billiard ball! ;)

Liverine is great - unless of course your name is Tiny and you lick all your fur back out when it starts growing!! But Kris is right, it really does work! :thumbsup:

lol!maybe Tiny will have a hairy tongue! (w00t) :lol: seriously though it is great stuff and i swear by it.many years ago i had a manchester terrier stud dog sent down to me from south humberside from the coomberlane kennels belonging to dorothy norman.now dorothy had been in dogs for many years and bred a few champions but she had not been able to get any fur to grow on this stud dogs back end or ear tips.he was a kennel dog so spent a lot of time sitting on concrete in his kennel/run i suppose.anyway i had rudi with us for a week while he mated my bitch (in those days it was common for the dog to be sent by rail and to be picked up at the station then sent back again when his job was done!)and at the end of the week when he went home he had new hair growth both on his back end and on his ears.dorothy was over the moon and promptly went out and bought some and passed the tip on to other manny breeders as it used to be a common problem with them especially the ears. :thumbsup:

I used to use stuff called Benzle Benzoate , it worked really well to get hair growth back on there poor bald legs. Not sure if its still available

Its usually caused by lotion that is rubbed onto their muscles to help build them up and get them supple for racing , also if they have laid in urine in their kennels :eek:

used to use stuff called Benzle Benzoate
Can confirm what Jax has said about Benzle Benzoate, this is a common problem with Greys, some people reckon it can be caused by the Bedding, most Trainers dont bother regrowing it, but if you can get one of the cures mentioned they do look better with Hair.

yes benzyl benozate is still available, go to nearest boots chemist and they will order it in for you, we use it in horses for skin irritantions such as sweet itch :thumbsup:

JAX said:
I used to use stuff called Benzle Benzoate , it worked really well to get hair growth back on there poor bald legs. Not sure if its still available 
Its usually caused by lotion that is rubbed onto their muscles to help build them up and get them supple for racing , also if they have laid in urine in their kennels  :eek:

Make sure that the dog doesnt get at it to lick the stuff as it will give her fits.In saying that ,it does work.There is a shampoo called seleen,that can be obtained through the vets .This is good.

billyboy45 said:
JAX said:
Its usually caused by lotion that is rubbed onto their muscles to help build them up and get them supple for racing , also if they have laid in urine in their kennels  :eek:

Make sure that the dog doesnt get at it to lick the stuff as it will give her fits.In saying that ,it does work.There is a shampoo called seleen,that can be obtained through the vets .This is good.

Well I never knew that , :eek: but if you make sure its all absorbed that should never happen ;)

well just make sure you wash your hands after! :- " :lol:

Keepers Mix from Dorwest Herbs.

A kind lady from here donated some to a rescue 'whippet' who had an untreated skin condition and was practically bald. His foster mum reckoned it really helped - so much so that he turned out to be a (very handsome) hairy lurcher!

posh totty said:
yes benzyl benozate is still available, go to nearest boots chemist and they will order it in for you, we use it in horses for skin irritantions such as sweet itch  :thumbsup:
You can get Benzyl Benzoate from any good chemists, its approx £2.50 for 100ml bottle... very good stuff, worth trying...

Ave heard that coconut oil works. Good luck :luck:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back