The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hi !!

Regina

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi I am new to the forum and I haven't got a dog yet but I will soon. My dog will be a golden retriever and I am really excited. I never owned any dog before and it is useful to get advice and that is how I got into the forum. Is there any advice that you would give me for a new owner of a golden retriever?

Retrievers are great dogs, there is a good reason why they are so popular.

Is it a puppy or an adult rehome?

Hello and welcome Retrievers are great dogs they have a great temperament .
The puppy in my Avatar is a Curly Coated Retriever

Hi I am new to the forum and I haven't got a dog yet but I will soon. My dog will be a golden retriever and I am really excited. I never owned any dog before and it is useful to get advice and that is how I got into the forum. Is there any advice that you would give me for a new owner of a golden retriever?
Oooooh....I'm excited on your behalf! Being it a first or 10th dog, arrival of a new dog friend is always very exciting thing and it will raise the same tickle in a tummy on each and every time.
Wondering and finding out what makes the dog 'tick' and its personality...it's funny little traits...going out and about with it or cuddling up with it for the quiet moment...some of the best things in the world I think.
At this point of your starting journey, I would say..... just enjoy (if you can) of all the preparation....reading, researching, planning and waiting the new dog moment to arrive. As once the dog comes, you are totally blown over....things will never be the same anymore! :D And yes, I'm saying it in positive way. Of course there will be those moments you want to go 'arrrgh', you will be both learning about each other, but still, you will be quite likely eventually laugh it all off. So savour all this waiting..;)
Hmm....I wonder if dogs have those 'arrrgh' moments with us humans....do they feel like hitting their heads on the brick wall when they struggle to get through our thick skulls?? o_O :rolleyes: :eek: :D

Welcome to the forum:) Things I wish I knew before my pup arrived: reward-based training works all the way, and punishment of any form (even a dirty look in the early days) is ineffective, unless so negative it scares the dog and threatens their trust in you.

Also, there will be times you feel out of your depth, convinced that whoever wrote the books you read has ever met a dog like yours, and wondering what on earth you have done. This is normal and someone, somewhere, will have had the same problem and overcome it!

I just had another thought...'what would I do before arrival a new pup?' (assuming that is what you are getting).
Well, something did pop up into my mind...get prepared with bag full of cleaning supplies. Pups particularly can be very messy for the first few months at least.
So...get together all your old cotton t-shirts, towels and other absorbent materials....bits and piece of all different sizes for different situations and something you are not worried to throw away if they are too much trouble to be washed to be used again. You never know when you have some sort of mess to clean up and there is nothing worst than when you are in half a sleep or in the middle of the night and you will have to start looking up something to clean up your pup's mess....and that mess can be on your pup or/as well something it has left behind on the floor....they really are like babies at first and you'll be following it to clean up after it...hopefully not all the time. ;)

I had another thought...(Judy's post brought it into my mind) :D
There will be soon a situation where your new dog will find something in the house that you don't want it to have/chew. And as you try to get hold of it, your dog will start a game of chase...(oh yes, it will happen!). Rather than going around circles to get that thing, if you have some squeaky toy handy and stashed away that it haven't seen before ..show your dog 'your toy' to tease it to drop and come to you in a reward something 'better'.
Before dogs learn any actual instruction, you will have to result all manner of trickery and reward based action to get them behave your way. Retrievers do respond for food based rewards keenly but sometimes toys do work quicker/better..;)

If your a good person, not lazy, not stupid, then you will be fine, dogs need training, correction, good walks , food, relaxed atmosphere and at the right times lots of love, easy really.

Oh, and also - puppy teeth... Have a stock of old clothes you'd love to throw away but haven't got a good excuse to. This way, you'll be able to be much calmer when pup is hanging on to your sleeves and trouser legs.

Welcome!
- I expect you already have, but I would do some back ground reading. I think there was a thread on here recently asking for recommendations on puppy books.
- As has been mentioned in another post, keep in touch with the breeder for help and support (assuming you are getting a puppy).
- Do you have friends with dogs that can be there for a bit of guidance / reassurance? I always homed in on the Labrador owners – whatever problems I was going through, their stories of what their Labradors were like when young always made me feel better:D
-Relax and enjoy a few long lie ins and pockets free from spare poo bags while you can;)

Remember that whatever the challenge there will be people who are professionals who can help, and it's better to ask them than everyone you know in a different context (except if it's someone who has well-behaved dogs)! Everyone is a tuppenny expert and will happily give bad or out-of-date advice, until you don't know what to think. Remember that vets and vet staff are great at mending poorly dogs but in general don't have a clue about training and behaviour.

Most of all "This too shall pass". Puppies can produce in you every emotion you can have, often sequentially. But they grow up and become lovely dogs.

Hang on to the fact that dogs don't do what annoys us specially in order to annoy us. They do what they think is the best action at the time. Don't take mishaps personally - just show the dog what you DO want and reward well when they do it, instead of focussing on what you DON'T want. Most of us will have been through it, and we are here for you.

Your puppy will teach you so much about so much. And for you, never underestimate the healing properties of wine, chocolate, cake and other treats humans can have and dogs mustn't.

I am still in school and now I am thinking if it is good or not I will get one because my school starts from 6.00am to 3 pm and I am having trouble finding routines that are not for people who are still in school and yet need something to lower their stress level. Is it a good idea to get a dog? Should I change breeds?

Are you still living with your parent(s), and will they help with dog ownership? How long would you need to leave the dog for each day, and how much time/energy will you have to walk and train it? What will happen if you leave home to go to college in the future?

In light of this, my advice (which I give to a lot of people) is this.

For the next month, act like you already have an adult dog. Get up an hour earlier, go for an hour long walk. Do this without fail, whatever the weather, and if it happens to be dry think about what it would be like in the rain and the dark. Come straight home from school, no meeting friends or going out or after-school activities. Take another hour long walk. Do this every day, no exceptions.

Put aside the amount of money you will need for a dog walker to come in every school day too, because you can't leave a dog from 6 am to 3 pm.

This will give you a good insight as to whether having a dog will reduce or increase your stress levels.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back