The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hi

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SaraE, Oct 23, 2020.

1. SaraE

SaraE New Member Registered

A warm hello to everyone

My name is sara and my sister and mom live with me. My mom is retired and 60yrs old but fit and active. My sister is 23yrs old and works from home. So theres 2 people at home all day, i am studying medicine and am currently in america studying medicine. But will be returning to the UK once i finished my degree to finish my training in the UK. Im only doing my degree in america as i did not get a place in any UK medical school as there very competitive.

We have wanted a dog for a very long time but have spent the last few years meeting a variety of breeds at discover dogs and then slowly going down our list of breeds we liked until we were left with one breed who we feel who suits us, one thing we were asked a lot when looking for the right breed was what if our family circumstances change and we move out but that wont happen, i cant speak for my sister but i have no plans of ever not living with mom , i love my mom so much she has got me through a lot which i wont go into as i dont want to ramble on but she has helped me achieve my dreams and has been there for me. I have no interest in relationships or moving out, im happy at home with mom and jen. I know thats weird but im happy and thats all that matters to me.

We have chosen the bernese mountain dog , we will be doing further research before bringing one home and would like to meet as many berners as possible and meet as many experienced people in the breed to learn as much as possible about living with berners. We will also be waiting until i return to the UK as i would like to be fully involved in training and raising the pup as possible. So a few years away yet.

It gives us plenty of time for reading And meeting and getting to know people in the breed.

I cant wait to become a dog mom and make memories that will stay in my heart forever.

2. Store
  3. JudyN

JudyN Moderator Moderator Registered

Welcome to the forum - if only more people did as much research as you before getting a dog! Out of interest, what was it about the Bernese that you particularly liked?

SaraE likes this.
  4. SaraE

There a lot about the berner but a few things were , there laid back and easy going (which we all are). There active but without being balls of energy, there pretty quiet, they love there people and are fairly easy to train. These are just a few but i could go on forever

5. niamh123

niamh123 Well-Known Member Registered

Hello and welcome:)

SaraE likes this.
  6. lurcherman

lurcherman Well-Known Member Registered

Doing research is a must nowadays, big dog you’ve picked, you know there lifespan isn’t great , I would only take a dog if I could get 14 ish years , I’ve been lucky in that so far . Best of luck all the same.

SaraE likes this.
  7. SaraE

Yes i know there lifespan is about 7yrs. But we see it as 7 years of memories that will last forever.

8. Hemlock

Hemlock Well-Known Member Registered

Welcome. It's so good to find someone who does their research before getting a dog.

SaraE likes this.