The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hi

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Thanks everyone I will look into all your suggestions particularly the rescue centres .

We've only ever had rescues, all whippets. Our latest came, at age three, with a few emotional issues but bonded almost immediately with my wife. The previous two were no problem. The advantage of whippets (adults, not pups) is their lack of stamina. They're very fast but more than happy to languish on a sofa after a sprint, they don't need a lot of exercise - just enough to keep a retired sexagenarian fit. Hope you find your perfect match. West Wales - lovely part of the country esp. Pembrokeshire - v. dog friendly.

IMG_3950.JPG
IMG_3954.JPG
We've only ever had rescues, all whippets. Our latest came, at age three, with a few emotional issues but bonded almost immediately with my wife. The previous two were no problem. The advantage of whippets (adults, not pups) is their lack of stamina. They're very fast but more than happy to languish on a sofa after a sprint, they don't need a lot of exercise - just enough to keep a retired sexagenarian fit. Hope you find your perfect match. West Wales - lovely part of the country esp. Pembrokeshire - v. dog friendly.
Hi RGC thank you for your comments . I have looked at a couple of rescue centres to us and also looked at their adoption policies. Indoor space not a problem nor is the amount of outdoor space as there is more space than the photo's suggest but I think home checkers may find our garden has one or two secure issues. As you maybe more in tuned with what home checkers would be looking for as you have rehomed your dogs ( hope you don't mind)I thought I would show some photos of our garden to see what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_3959.JPG
    IMG_3959.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 24
Reactions: RGC
Oh my goodness, what a beautiful view you have!

An option might be to secure just a part of your garden?

View attachment 111981478 View attachment 111981479
Hi RGC thank you for your comments . I have looked at a couple of rescue centres to us and also looked at their adoption policies. Indoor space not a problem nor is the amount of outdoor space as there is more space than the photo's suggest but I think home checkers may find our garden has one or two secure issues. As you maybe more in tuned with what home checkers would be looking for as you have rehomed your dogs ( hope you don't mind)I thought I would show some photos of our garden to see what you think.
Thank you yes we have a fabulous view for miles and miles.
Oh my goodness, what a beautiful view you have!

An option might be to secure just a part of your garden?
Thank you yes we have a fabulous view. It maybe possible to secure a part of the garden and the best part would be a small piece of lawn in front of the windows you see, then some way to block off the path to the balcony in the other photo. The low wall you see has a long drop to the bottom of another part of the garden which could present an issue. When we had the two ShihTzu’s we never had a problem as I was always outside with them, but I realise a home checker may not be so reassured.
I think they may see the balcony as an issue if the dog should escape as there is a big drop. There is no way that it could get onto the road as there is a good secure gate and a driveway before the road.

Wow, that is just beautiful! :)
I'm not a home checker but on seeing your photos my first thought(after wow!) was about the drop on the other side of the small wall...a dog generally would just hop over that expecting it to be the same level on the other side! (I do home board so my safety eye is a bit obsessive at times though from jumping through hoops for my licence!o_O)
As suggested above, securing an area is probably your best bet. You can always ask someone to come and do a home visit and ask them what the requirements are and state your concerns before hand, working together as such?

Chicken netting can work well - have a look at this, though there will be cheaper around: Chicken Fencing | Poultry Netting for Chickens | Up To 20% Off | Omlet

You would need to check that your dog doesn't try to tunnel under, jump over, or bulldoze their way through it if leaving them out there unattended though.
Thank you JudyN, that is certainly worth looking into as long as a home checker would consider that amount of space is adequate. Although if it is an older dog I would imagine it would be a calmer dog rather than a younger one wanting to do zoomies around the garden and may not need securing in a smaller space.
Chicken netting can work well - have a look at this, though there will be cheaper around: Chicken Fencing | Poultry Netting for Chickens | Up To 20% Off | Omlet

You would need to check that your dog doesn't try to tunnel under, jump over, or bulldoze their way through it if leaving them out there unattended though.

Wow, that is just beautiful! :)
I'm not a home checker but on seeing your photos my first thought(after wow!) was about the drop on the other side of the small wall...a dog generally would just hop over that expecting it to be the same level on the other side! (I do home board so my safety eye is a bit obsessive at times though from jumping through hoops for my licence!o_O)
As suggested above, securing an area is probably your best bet. You can always ask someone to come and do a home visit and ask them what the requirements are and state your concerns before hand, working together as such?
That is something I had thought of rather than do those fencing ideas and then find there is a lot more to make it secure and becomes too expensive. As for the low wall our eldest Shih Tzu she was very small (about 5 kg) and she used to walk along it and never fell off, but every dog is different and another dog may not be so lucky.
My husband is also having concerns that of the ownership of the dog the rescue people or us and they would have control of the dog. Wow so much to consider.
What I think I will do is contact them and see if they have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

I would also explain why you're thinking of a CKCS because they might have another dog who would suit your requirements beautifully. I would also say that you do have some concerns about the garden, outline what you would be able to do, and ask whether that would meet their requirements. That could be useful info even if you end up going for a different rescue (or a non-rescue).

I would also explain why you're thinking of a CKCS because they might have another dog who would suit your requirements beautifully. I would also say that you do have some concerns about the garden, outline what you would be able to do, and ask whether that would meet their requirements. That could be useful info even if you end up going for a different rescue (or a non-rescue).
Thank you that is very useful.x

View attachment 111981478 View attachment 111981479
I think that the subsequent replies from the members have addressed your query. Once again, the best of luck in your search. Looking forward to meeting your new addition on Newgale beach.

I think that the subsequent replies from the members have addressed your query. Once again, the best of luck in your search. Looking forward to meeting your new addition on Newgale beach.
We are not far from you really . We live just outside Newcastle Emlyn.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back