The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hiya I Am New

nabeeha

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi All, (I used have a user name but cant remember it, I think I only asked 4-5 questions before).

I am Jess anyhow and living in London, have been searching today for my first whippet pup, been little bit everywhere on the net to be honest just to have an idea.

Is there anyone that have any ideas of where I can find a show whippet bitch.

I have GSD girl 6 months, and used to GSD for about 15 years.

But totally fell in love with whippet when I picked up my GSD pup at my breeder who had a whippet as well :) :- "

Any ideas of what to ask the breeder would be great as well.

How much do the "cost", I seen a few different prices but was going to ask about the low3st and highest you all think I should pay for one.

Also, can I check if the Pedigree is fake or real... why I am wondering is that I found a adorable lady, with 2 show whippets who selling them for £250, said they come with paper and are register... shall I be worried when its a bit lower?

Any ideas or suggestions or advise are more then welcome.

Jess

Hiya Welcome to K9 :cheers: :cheers: (again :lol: )

I wouldn't worry too much about the fact that these whippets are in the lower price band straight awaythere may be reasons for this for example maybe she is more concerned about the home and uninterested in the financial gain or maybe she has run them on to see if they are show quality and is now ready for them to go to pet homes,(how old are they?) maybe she is having trouble finding homes so thinks a lower price will be more attractive to a buyer, that may be just the price she charges :unsure: although show bred their reputation may not be recognised, I would ask these questions if I were you, there may be lots of reasons if you ask her it should either set your mind at rest or ring alarm bells :thumbsup:

I am not condoning or condemming any of the reasons just saying thats what they may be :)

If unfamilair with a breeder I would always want to know about the history(breeding) of a dog just for my own piece of mind if nothing else :thumbsup:

Good luck in your search :luck: :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you hon.. Yes maybe it is her pricing.. well I will have to see around a bit.

Anyone else with good ideas, please feel free :- "

If you want to get into showing you really need to get to know the breed first. It maybe a good idea to go to few shows and introduce yourself to some of the top breeders, develop an relationship and see if they would sell you good bitch and help you to show her (explain to you what to do). Are you showing your GSDs? Showing Whippet is lot different - you move them and stand them in different way. You should also get a good Whippet book and study the standard thoroughly, so when you go to look at puppy you know what you are looking for, and can judge if the breeder is being honest with you.

These are some worthwhile books- not in any particular order;

The Whippet - J.P.Moran-Healy

The English Whippet - E.G.Walsh & Mary Lowe

The Whippet Today - Patsy Gilmore

The Whippet - Bo Benktson

Best of Luck :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to K9 Jess. :) I got my first whippet in January this year and because he is so lovely, he was closely followed by my second in March. I bought both of them to show (obviously they are much loved pets too).

Both their breeders are members of K9 (Juley and Jax) and i had been looking for sometime before getting Frankie.

If you want a whippet to show, make sure you get one from show bred lines. Also, on some sites and in the paper you see people advertising 'show quality' pups, but this probably isn't always the case. Look at breeders websites. When you see a type you like, contact them and ask them if they are planning any litters in the near future.

Do your research into the breeder and their lines. Ask loads of questions. Say that you intend to show so you can maybe get one of the first choices of pup.

Just because a pup is KC reg by no means does it mean it is of show quality. £250 would certainly be on the low side, but there may be a good reason for the price. A reputable breeder with show quality pups shouldn't have trouble getting homes for them.

I hope this is of some help. Hopefully you will get some replies from the more experienced and / or breeders.

Best of Luck with your search :luck:

Thanks to you all for your nice "help".

I find it hard to find breeders who are in show to "become" friends with them if that is what you mean... how do I do that as I have never done that :blink: :lol:

And by all means, I am not after A top show line, I love the breed, and dont mind A "lower" line if that is how you say it :b meaning, I dont need a top show line to love it and be totally based with it ;) , I love the breed, but want to do something with it, still never know about the future, I would like to have the "opportunity" of being able to show in "bigger" volume later.

But the breed, well I just love it, know "the grounds" of it, but I so know from my experience of GSD that even an expert will never know it all.

I am so grateful for all your help and advice folks, much grateful :cheers:

I put this on your other post, I've copied it here,

Hi, its Windsor Championship show on Friday 30th June. Why not come along? Plenty of Whippets to be seen, you could watch the judging and see what you like and maybe chat to a few people.

I don't believe you have to go to the 'top' breeders to get a good dog. And in my experience (33yrs) as an exhibitor and a breeder, I find the "top" breeders can, in some cases, have that opinion of themselves, and they charge top prices (for average dogs in some cases) and can't be bothered to talk to you unless they consider you to be a "somebody". On the other side of the coin there are "top" breeders who still don't believe they are, and still believe they have to work hard for their reputation and are down to earth, lovely people.

I reckon give the "middle of the road" * breeders a go; those with good experience in the breed who have bred good quality dogs but may not have the reputation as a "top" breeder. Those who are willing to give you some time and actually listen to you and offer handling advice and follow-up help with your pup to get you on the road to some success in the ring.

There are also beginning breeders - who are working hard to breed good dogs, they have begun with good stock who are winning at shows and are planning to put their good bitch to a good dog, have studied pedigrees etc and have a commitment to the breed. Why should they not be given a chance as well? How will they ever earn a reputation as a good breeder if no-one ever buys their show quality pups.

Spend some time at shows and talk to a LOT of people before buying a pup and you'll work out who these people are.

*middle of the road As much as I don't really like that term, I couldn't think of something better. :b

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back