The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hm Customs

debsandben

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have the HM Customs tax people coming to see me as they think I am trading dogs and cats

My position.

I have a toddler of 2 and have not shown a dog or cat for 3 years as I am an older mum and with a working partner and one car its not easy.

I have 2 dogs one 2 next june one 1 next feb. 13 months ago I lost my whippet in a hunting accident. my other dog I gave away due to a major problem with sheep earlier this year, I did have a litter from each within the last 3 years, I did not keep anything as I was already having baby unbeknown to me when bitch was mated.

we have pedigree cats 3 litters bred this year reg GCCF not large litters and we are keeping one from this. We have a stud cat but only ever used by us for these 3 litters.

All animals are in the house with us no pens or runs cats go as they please, we live out in sticks.

Please can anyone tell me what they are looking for, I believe they think I still have all the dogs. I have not kept receipts as they are my hobby. :(

debsandben said:
I have the HM Customs tax people coming to see me as they think I am trading dogs and catsMy position.

I have a toddler of 2 and have not shown a dog or cat for 3 years as I am an older mum and with a working partner and one car its not easy.

I have 2 dogs one 2 next june one 1 next feb. 13 months ago I lost my whippet in a hunting accident. my other dog I gave away due to a major problem with sheep earlier this year, I did have a litter from each within the last 3 years, I did not keep anything as I was already having baby unbeknown to me when bitch was mated.

we have pedigree cats 3 litters bred this year reg GCCF not large litters and we are keeping one from this. We have a stud cat but only ever used by us for these 3 litters.

All animals are in the house with us no pens or runs cats go as they please, we live out in sticks.

Please can anyone tell me what they are looking for, I believe they think I still have all the dogs. I have not kept receipts as they are my hobby.  :(

Who has said anything to them?

Why would they want to come and see you?

Not sure i understand what you have done wrong?

As far as I'm aware they only visit people who have been reported.

Could anyone you have sold kittens or pups to reported you???

I wouldn't worry too much cos it doesn't sound like you have anything to hide, just be honest with them and let them look at what they want. The more open and honest you are should prove you've done nothing wrong.

Make sure you have a thorough list of all expenses incured whilst keeping these cats/dogs. It makes my laugh, customs and excise calling round to visit you because you have bred your cat (and if you are VERY, VERY lucky made enough money for it to have covered its own costs for the rest of its life). YET, there are many, many people in my home town, who are blatently peddling drugs to kids, and yet they are left alone.

debs hope everythings ok,its a worry im sure.

sorry ive no advise as i havent ever had any dealings with them.

you know where we are if you need us :thumbsup:

this is unbelievable.i deal with customs and excise all the time.im vat rated as my income is over 52,000 a year.you arent in that league so i dont know what on earth theyre doing visiting you.tell them the truth about everything and i mean everything. :thumbsup: these guys are like pit bulls.if they find you out in a lie they wont leabve you alone theyll keep digging cos theyll think youre hiding something.be honest with them and when they realise you arent in the vat league theyll go away and leave you alone.i could understand if it was the tax man but vat? :blink:

kris said:
this is unbelievable.i deal with customs and excise all the time.im vat rated as my income is over 52,000 a year.you arent in that league so i dont know what on earth theyre doing visiting you.tell them the truth about everything and i mean everything. :thumbsup: these guys are like pit bulls.if they find you out in a lie they wont leabve you alone theyll keep digging cos theyll think youre hiding something.be honest with them and when they realise you arent in the vat league theyll go away and leave you alone.i could  understand if it was the tax man but vat? :blink:
Very good advice Kris as allways.

Be honest, the Bastar.ds will try to trap you dont let them.

If YOUR TURNOVER is less than £52000 then they cant do a thing.

Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs was formed in 2005 following the merger of Inland Revenue and HM Customs and Excise Department so it is probable that the visit is regarding tax and not VAT.

Here is a link to who they are and what they do

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/home.htm

Jenny

Debs, I can only echo what Kris has told you - be absolutely totally 100% honest and upfront with them. If you think there's something they haven't asked for, but is relevant VOLUNTEER IT. Because they really do stick to you like glue if they catch you even in the smallest of lies or omissions.

Am also baffled as to why this is a VAT matter - if it were me i think that would be my opening stance when they come to call.

good luck :luck:

friends of ours lied to the vat.they gave them hell for ages afterwards doing fraud investigations etc etc.he owns a fleet of wagons and does the paris, spain, portugal run.they seized the truscks and the drivers had to make their own way home.if you **** them off theyll go all out ot get you i know one of my old schoolfriends is a fraud investigator and both my next door neighbours are tax inspectors.the vatman has more powers than the police.they can do things to you that you wouldmnt believe and they do it witht he fiull assent of the law behind them.id never mess with these guys

oh and spot the deliberate mistake galty! yes my TURNOVER is over 52 grand not my income!ooops!(actually my income is well above that as well!) :oops:

quintessence said:
Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs was formed in 2005 following the merger of Inland Revenue and HM Customs and Excise Department so it  is probable that  the visit is regarding tax and not VAT. 

Jenny

youre probably right jenny,i just give my paperwork to our accountant and he sorts it all out for me.i just pay the bills!

though why the tax man would be interested in someone breeding the odd litter is beyond me. :blink: its not as if this lady is pumping litters of cats and dogs out.as she says shes just bred the odd litter.are the tax dept clamping down do you know?ive not heard anything about this but my accountant did say theyd took on so many more new inspectors last year to deal with tax evasion and fraud

Yes..this sounds like an income tax issue and not a VAT issue. They want to look at your income and expenditure and check that you haven't made any profit from selling your litters and that you haven't evaded paying tax on any 'earnings' as a result. If your expenditure on your animals equals the amounts made on your sales from your litters then you will be OK. The tricky bit is proving it. Go through your bank statements and make a list of all your expenditure items that have been spent on the upkeep of your animals etc and try and demonstrate that any sales money has been spent again on your animals. In this way you will prove your animals are a hobby and not a means of earnings, from which you haven't paid any income tax on them.

Hope this makes sense

kris said:
quintessence said:
Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs was formed in 2005 following the merger of Inland Revenue and HM Customs and Excise Department so it  is probable that  the visit is regarding tax and not VAT.  

Jenny

youre probably right jenny,i just give my paperwork to our accountant and he sorts it all out for me.i just pay the bills!

though why the tax man would be interested in someone breeding the odd litter is beyond me. :blink: its not as if this lady is pumping litters of cats and dogs out.as she says shes just bred the odd litter.are the tax dept clamping down do you know?ive not heard anything about this but my accountant did say theyd took on so many more new inspectors last year to deal with tax evasion and fraud

The Vat man is clamping down on traders that do a runner, trying to catch them before they do as it is costing the econmomy billions a year. :eek: The tax man is clamping down on people who are not declaring their earnings or paying NI. I agree with an earlier post, don't mess with them, be honest, and clarify why they are there.

I have had dealings in my work with the Inland Revenue. Either someone has spragged you or they are dong spot checks. If you are self-employed in another sphere they often look for extra sources of income. Also they do follow internet links, ebay etc. If you have advertised kittens for sale on either intenet or in newspapers it could come from that.

Pauline

Three liters in one year sounds like dealer to me. The tax man cometh. :( :(

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back