The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hormones in duck necks

Richard & Patsy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My 16 week old puppy (husky x lab weighing 12kg) loves duck necks and I give him 2 or 3 a day; yesterday I placed an order for another 72 necks. Alarmingly I have just watched a YouTube video called '5 Things Raw Feeders Might Not Know' where it mentions them. It says that there are traces of thyroid hormones in necks and that excess amounts of these hormones can lead to hyperthyroidism. She limits her dogs to 2 a week then a 1 week gap.

Has anyone heard of this?

News to me, I wonder just where exactly the information originated from, and whether it is wild ducks or domesticated farm reared ducks ?
There is always someone who wants to frighten the raw feeders.
I will have a look to see what I can find :rolleyes:

I've found a few mentions of this on the internet, but it's hard to know what to think, as there are so many myths and unsupported theories about raw feeding. Or the 'I gave my dog a Bonio and it died' sort of argument. I suppose the answer is not to feed anything to excess, but then who knows how much is 'excessive'?:confused:

Try beef trachea. Same amount of chew and no risk of thyroid or other hormones at all.

She referenced a scientific paper - I looked at it and it was a study of just 14 dogs. Sitka does not have any symptoms but I will cut down just in case there is something in it.
@Hemlock - thanks for the tip. I order from Natural Instincts who sell beef pipes (I assume that is the same as trachea) at £2.50 for 2.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back