The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How can I get Lily to eat ?

You should put the food down, let her try and eat it. Then lift it up after a while. Then put it back down later on in the day. Eventually she'll understand that's what she can eat. Just make sure you go to the vet and check there's no actual issues.

You should put the food down, let her try and eat it. Then lift it up after a while. Then put it back down later on in the day. Eventually she'll understand that's what she can eat. Just make sure you go to the vet and check there's no actual issues.

I understand the tough love approach for fussy eaters but I'm not sure this is the case here or the time to use it.

Also, even for fussy dogs, I think food is such an important part of our dogs' days that I'd rather see mine enjoy his food rather than just subsist on it . So for me, I'd prefer to find something he enjoys rather than just eats because he has to.

This mindset is outdated ... there are much better ways of coaxing a dog to eat

I am so happy! I brought a steak pie to see if Lily would have a little of the filling....she ate all of it and some pastry! We had Huntsman chicken so I saved her some chicken, mashed potato and carrots thinking she won’t eat anymore but she did! Yay! Think we may have to live in the caravan and take her to play on the beach everyday :D oh and she had rice pudding :p might not all be good for her but I don’t care! :D

You're going to get a positive feedback loop now - you're happy, so she'll be happier and more keen to eat, which will make you happier.....:)

I understand the tough love approach for fussy eaters but I'm not sure this is the case here or the time to use it.

Also, even for fussy dogs, I think food is such an important part of our dogs' days that I'd rather see mine enjoy his food rather than just subsist on it . So for me, I'd prefer to find something he enjoys rather than just eats because he has to.

I agree totally Jo! exactly how we feel,if she’s grieving we want her to feel loved and if we can find something she will eat and enjoy then that’s what we try and do for her, she’s nearly 10 and a half now and in the Autumn of her years so why not spoil her a little ( reasonably of course :rolleyes:)

Thank you ladies so much, who would have thought how happy I could be seeing my beautiful girlie eating! :D xxxx

You could always give a “golden oldie” rescue dog a home, they’re often overlooked. One similar in age to Lily. We ended uo with an older dog rescue, a wee lab cross that had been dumped, one of the best dogs we ever had. <3 Mind you, be worth checking another dog may help. Our setter cross, Sam, went into a very long state of mourning when we lost our old cat, who had groomed him since he was a pup. We eventually got another cat as we thought he would like it. He didn’t, and they completely ignored each other,. ;)

Also, as suggested above, dogs are often very sensitive to others’ anxiety, and this can compound the situation. But, it’s difficult nit to display it, if you’re a compassionate owner, and your dog’s nit wanting to eat. :(

How is Lily doing now, @Mayblossom ? And you and your OH?
Been away for a few days Judy in the caravan and there just happened to be a beautiful Springer next to us, I could see hubby getting upset again which started me off, just cannot believe after 5 months we are still getting like this , thought we might be coming to terms with it by now but Molly has other ideas...:rolleyes: pictures of her keep coming up on FB memories...we’ll get there one day I’m sure . Thank you for thinking of us xx Lily still has her off days with food but nowhere near as bad as she was. Quite happy in herself which is lovely , we get by with the feeding ;) hope you’re doing ok too xx

You could always give a “golden oldie” rescue dog a home, they’re often overlooked. One similar in age to Lily. We ended uo with an older dog rescue, a wee lab cross that had been dumped, one of the best dogs we ever had. <3 Mind you, be worth checking another dog may help. Our setter cross, Sam, went into a very long state of mourning when we lost our old cat, who had groomed him since he was a pup. We eventually got another cat as we thought he would like it. He didn’t, and they completely ignored each other,. ;)

Also, as suggested above, dogs are often very sensitive to others’ anxiety, and this can compound the situation. But, it’s difficult nit to display it, if you’re a compassionate owner, and your dog’s nit wanting to eat. :(

I'm so pleased she is happier - and you sound more positive too :) I'm sure it's normal for little things to set you off for years. I was going through my mental list of weekend jobs yesterday, knew there was something I'd forgotten... and remembered that it was changing Monty's water bowl. Next thing I know, I'm sobbing my eyes out!

We keep thinking about another one but just can’t go through all the heartache , as we get older we seem to get more sensitive, we know we have to go through it again with Lily ( hopefully not for a few years) but she will be our last one, sad as it is.

@Mayblossom alot of my older friends have done exactly that ...not got another dog because of the heartache ......i do think as we get older we just cannot deal with things so stoically. ....you have to do what feels right for you and as you say you still have lily xxxx

Thanks Kara xx bit of a morbid thought but I worry about not being around and still have a pet that needs taking care of ,I know 67 isn’t exactly ancient :D and hopefully have a good few years left in me but I still fret :( we’ve never been without a dog so it will be tough when we have none but just seems a natural progression into old age to not have something else to worry about....goodness me, I’m a bit maudlin today :D

I'm so pleased she is happier - and you sound more positive too :) I'm sure it's normal for little things to set you off for years. I was going through my mental list of weekend jobs yesterday, knew there was something I'd forgotten... and remembered that it was changing Monty's water bowl. Next thing I know, I'm sobbing my eyes out!
Oh bless you, just shows how much they were loved xx

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back