The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How Do I Get Started Working My Lurcher??

pointydogs

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I desperatly want to get started working my beddy whippet? She's got a high pray drive and I think has done it before as I bought her from a farmer that didn't want her anymore because she kept escaping from him. She'll kill and eat all small animals she catches in the garden, but I'd love to start working her properly and I'm also interested in lure coursing (though she doesn't have as much interest in that). I work in pest control using gas etc but think a more natural method, ie dogs and ferrets may be more effective if I can convince my boss. How do I get started? is there clubs or training courses available? or do you just wing it by yourself. I live in the Wiltshire area, is there anyone around me that knows all about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
hi and glad you are thinking of using your dog to do whats she is bred for , im sure there will be working members willing to help you , but for starters , you must work hard to get a good level of obedience , sit down stay and excellent recall , when moving on to retrieving use a dummy of an old rabbit skin wrapped round something and thrown short lengths then further and further , give plenty of praise as each task is done , dont worry bout set backs it happens at times , im happy to help as much as i can via pm if thats ok with you , also try to get to some of the uk working whippet events and speak to any of us there , we are all happy to help newcomers :)

Hi, Beddy/whippets can either be an absolute delight to work or can be a living nightmare. They can be excellent for ferreting, but do have a tendency to hunt up and have a reputation for selective hearing.

If you have a good one they will work well for you a be keen to please, if you have a not so good one all is not lost , it just takes time and patience to find their strong points. Mine loves the lure has a high prey drive but doesn't put it to good use in the field.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back