The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How Long Can A Greyhound Hold Its Bladder During The Day?

Pipps

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
How long can a greyhound hold his bladder whilst alone during the day in the house whilst his master is at work?

I have been spending months researching this uniquely agreeable breed, and I am still considering whether it would be possible to perhaps one day adopt an ex-racing grey'.

I live alone and work office hours every day. I walk vigorously every morning and evening in the fields near my house. But I work 20 miles away from home, and so have no way of returning at lunch-time to let a dog take an honest pee.

So I must ask, can a greyhound hold his bladder for 8-9 hours during the day? Would it help if water is provided early in the morning before exercise, and only a saucer is left out for him during the day?

This must be a question that many single, full-time working, would-be owners must ask. It is really the only question remaining for me. I would be very grateful for any advice.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome to the forum :))

I don't think any dog should be alone and not have access to the toilet for that length of time .

I don't think witholding water is a good idea either .

If you get a dog perhaps you could have a dog walker to take your dog out mid day for some exercise and to go to the toilet .

If not I would wait until your circumstances change .

You are doing the right thing by researching this thoroughly . :thumbsup:

My greyhounds will not last all day without having a wee.

Could a neighbour pop round and let it into the garden for a wee during the day?

You should never leave a greyhound without water I'm not sure what its called but I'm sure there is something that greyhounds can suffer from if given restricted access to water and it can kill. I'll see if I can find something about it.

Thank you for your speedy replies. You must definitely be greyhound owners!

Firstly, I feel I should clarify that I did not suggest that I would 'withhold' water - I suggested only providing a limited quantity throughout the day, in a saucer, rather than providing water effectively on-tap.

I based that idea on advice that I had found at this webpage.

www.gorge.org said:
"Many dogs go [to the toilet] too much, because they drink too much. I started taking up his water from about 8pm, which helped him to be dry overnight. There is no harm in this (as long as your dog is healthy) and it was recommended to me by several people. So help your dog by taking up his water at night, but replace it first thing in the morning. Mine [vet] told me that a saucerful of water will quench his thirst (but always provide a full bowl at mealtimes)...".
This reportedly helps that owner's greyhound get through the whole night - which is presumably something in the region of 8 hours. That must be a good thing!

It sounds like credible, well-advised and well-tested advice. But I must defer to your collective experience.

What do you think?

I don't think any dog should be left alone all day, surely there is someone who could let your dogs out and give it a fuss mid day.

My greyhound bitch only pees a couple of times a day some days. She goes last thing at night, 10.30 ish and sometimes doesn't go again until mid day the next day. I always have two bowls of water down. She asks to to out when she needs to, so to me she has remarkable holding powers!!!!

even if the could hold there bladder that long I think on a regular basis 4 hours is about Max's for leaving them or any type of dog. if you think you will expect the dog to hold its wee all night and again all day and even if it could now as it gets older it wont be able 2. I think you will fiend as well most sight hound rescue wont let you adopt if your leaving a dog that long. you need to find a friend or neighbour who can pop in once a day to let the dog out. I know in the past when doing home checks lot of people have a retired nabour pop in to either let the dog out or give it a quick walk. Get chatting to local people there may be someone who loves dogs but for some reason can have one that would love the chance of a quick walk once a day with a dog. The idea of limiting water over night is OK because if your dog really need a drink r wee it can bark and get you up also a dog is likely to sleep well through the night as its quiet. but in the day time it will have more noise about cars people walking around that will disturb him/her. you know yourself you can sleep for ages but as soon as you wake you need the loo same with dogs but if your being disturbed by outside noises your not going to sleep 8 hours strate though as you would at night.

Theresa lot of us on here with multiple greyhounds and I Dont think any would say leaving them regularly for 8 hours is ok

I don't think it is ever fair to leave a dog that long without access to the outside to have a wee...also is it really fair to leave a dog alone for that long anyway...in kennels atleast it would see people, other dogs and be able to wee/poo and drink whenever it needed to, as far as I can see it would be better off in kennels than have water restricted and no company for nine hours every day.

I would suggest waiting until circumstances allow you to give a greyhound a better life than you can right now.

just had a thought....if maybe your circumstances are not quite right at the mo for having your own dog and you go for a long walk morning and night....how about if you take someone elses dog for the morning and night walk for them? they may be extremely grateful for your help, good luck !

You are right, greyhounds are a very agreeable companion and that is just what a retired greyhound should be - a companion!

They need human interaction to flourish and leaving any dog for more than 3-4 hours by itself, let alone one that has spent it's life around other dogs and kennel staff, is just a complete non-starter IMO.

I'm sorry to be a bit blunt here, but it's not a question of whether they can refrain from urinating during this time - it's about their mental wellbeing and, most of all, feeling loved and wanted.

Unless you are in a position to give a dog the companionship they need, then you should forget about getting one and maybe offer your services for walking elderly peoples' dogs as they may not be in a position to get out and about as easily as they used to and their dogs would benefit from the walk :thumbsup:

I have to agree with others, I'm afraid, dogs are social animals and 8-9 hours is too long for them to be left entirely alone.

I suspect my dogs could hold their bladders for that long if they had to (except my little old terrier who needs to go out more often), but I don't feel it would be comfortable for them to be forced hold on for that length of time day after day - and probably not good for their kidneys either. I don't like the idea of withholding water at any time, especially in the hot summer months.

In the real world people have to work, of course, and I don't think it's impossible to have a dog if you're working full time but you do need to make provision for someone to come in in the middle of the day to let the dog out for a loo break and give them a bit of company or a short walk, and it has to be the right dog - a middle-aged or older dog is much more likely to be content to snooze for a few hours while you are out.

Just a thought, but many rescues are desperate for volunteer dogwalkers. The Cinnamon Trust are also always on the lookout for help walking dogs for elderly people who are ill or can't manage themselves. If you decide now isn't the right time for a dog of your own perhaps you could help with this? It's a great way to enjoy doggy company and know that you are helping a needy hound at the same time :luck:

could you maybe add the option of building a kennel and pen for during the day. Likely that the dog will be used to being in a kennel anyway. As long as its warm and dry and he/she wears a coat in winter that would get around your prob.

Im sure many dogs are left alone in the house whilst theer owners are at work. maybe if greyhound could have a friend too.....that might help ;)

I think your best bet is to get someone to walk the dog at lunchtime. In this way it will have a stretch and a run and be prepared to settle down again until you get home. Greyhounds are notorious couch potatoes, so as long as it gets into a routine of being taken out halfway through the day I think it would be OK. Without some sort of lunchtime care, then I don't think you should go ahead. I'm basing this on a friend's experience of her rescue greyhound.

Firstly congratulations on thinking about adopting a greyhound. They are the best pets you can have, not that I am biased. Why not have a chat with your local rescue and explain your situation and see what they can come up with. For all you know someone near you may have a greyhound that would like a walk with yours at lunch time, or know a good doggy day care or a pet sitter. Or they may have a volenteer near you who can help. Since having my own greyhounds I am amazed at how many people have them, 6 people within walking distance of me.

Don't give up, where there's a grey there's a way.

Best of luck, hope you can find a way round the problem.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back