The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How Long Home Alone????

Nubian

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all!

I'm hoping for advice before going out and getting a whippet. I would really love to have one but there are a few practical problems which I'd need to iron out first.

1) I work Monday to Friday, leaving at about 8.30- 8.45am and return at about 6pm.

2) Although my wife also works Monday to Wednesday( leaving earlier than I do) we have a nanny who drops the kids off to school in the mornings and brings them back by about 4pm. After she has dropped the kids off to school nanny may be around for a lot of the time during the day doing odd jobs about the house but cannot necessarily be relied on to attend to the dog during the day although I am sure she will be happy to help out a little.

3) The wife is based at home on Thursdays and Fridays but is often out or busy during these days so again it is possible the dog may be alone for long periods between about 9am and 4pm.

Evenings and week-ends, the dog will have the family's undivided attention and I'm hoping to get into whippet racing in due course.

Am I wrong to be thinking about getting a whippet or any dog for that matter? Would an older dog or bitch be a better choice rather than a pup? Are the periods the dog will be alone be too long or are there lots of people who get by with similar arrangements?

Sorry to go on for so long but I really would like some advice. Myself and the kids ( one aged 8 and 10 year old twins) are desperate to have a dog in the family but I'm having to work on the wife because of these practical problems. What should I do? Any advice would be most welcome!!

Cheers!

Many folk do keep dogs in pens outside is that an option for you as long as they have somewhere warm and comfortable and a play area and access to plenty of water there should be no problem as long as its secure --then let it in at night when your home after a good long walk and tea---sometimes better with two for company--

steve

i wud agree wholeheartedly with steve if the dog is going to be left 4 so long id personally keep it outside during the day but id also deffo get two. id also make sure the dog/dogs were fed in the morning b4 i went to work and walked maybe for 20 mins to half an hour dont forget they will b left all day. then fed again @ tea time with a good long walk. i widnt advise getting an older dog as dogs like their routine and an older dog will b used to wotever its used to if u get me? whereas pups wont know any different. hope 2 have been of some help :)

I think the main concern would be the neighbours. Whippets do tend to make a noise if left in confinement all day.

There is nothing more annoying than a dog howling and barking all day if left unattended,

This could be your only problem as regards your plan. :thumbsup:

Thanks to Steve, Sherry and John Noble for the replies!

I suppose I could set aside an area in the patio or garden for them. They would be protected from wind and rain but I suppose they would need to wear coats if the weather was cold. I'm not sure I could do that for a pup or pups that were very young. I assume there would be a minmum age at which I could leave them out? Eight or twelve weeks would be way too young wouldn't it or am I wrong?Perhaps I should wait until the spring or summer before starting out.

Getting two is an excellent idea but I was thinking at this stage, as a beginner I would be better of concentrating on one dog but then as you say it might be easier for them as company for each other!

Im sorry but i wouldnt consider selling a puppy to someone who is essentially out for 9 hours a day. Sorry but i agree with your wife unless you can walk the dog

before work and then pay a reliable dog walker to walk at lunch time as well, and you must have two for company for each other. Sorry to be negative and i do admire you for thinking hard about the welfare of your dog :- " :- "

jayp said:
Im sorry but i wouldnt consider selling a puppy to someone who is essentially out for 9 hours a day. Sorry but i agree with your wife unless you can walk the dogbefore work and then pay a reliable dog walker to walk at lunch time as well, and you must have two for company for each other. Sorry to be negative and i do admire you for thinking hard about the welfare of your dog :- "  :- "

Jayp,

Thanks for this. I would certainly be walking the dog before I left for work.

The puppy wouldn't actually be alone for 9 hours a day because the children and a responsible adult (either nanny or wife) would be home by 4pm. That is still 7 hours or so, but not quite as bad as 9 hours. I am also hoping that on most days those 7 hours will be broken up by presence of the nanny or wife Thursday/Fridays, who although they not there to puppysit for me all day I'm sure will be happy to see that they are alright while I am not there. Whilst I don't expect them to walk the dog for me during the day I am certain they wouldn't allow the dog /s to suffer any distress.

Nubian said:
jayp said:
Im sorry but i wouldnt consider selling a puppy to someone who is essentially out for 9 hours a day. Sorry but i agree with your wife unless you can walk the dogbefore work and then pay a reliable dog walker to walk at lunch time as well, and you must have two for company for each other. Sorry to be negative and i do admire you for thinking hard about the welfare of your dog :- "  :- "

Jayp,

Thanks for this. I would certainly be walking the dog before I left for work.

The puppy wouldn't actually be alone for 9 hours a day because the children and a responsible adult (either nanny or wife) would be home by 4pm. That is still 7 hours or so, but not quite as bad as 9 hours. I am also hoping that on most days those 7 hours will be broken up by presence of the nanny or wife Thursday/Fridays, who although they not there to puppysit for me all day I'm sure will be happy to see that they are alright while I am not there. Whilst I don't expect them to walk the dog for me during the day I am certain they wouldn't allow the dog /s to suffer any distress.

Sounds near enough to me Nubian! :thumbsup:

Some kiddies don't get that much attention/quality time- :lol:

Karen B.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back