The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How long should he be able to hold it?

chelld

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Me again

quick question. 2 days a week I am out at work. I am able to pop home at lunchtime to relieve pup and give him some exercise and companionship for about 45mins.

Some times he is fine in his crate and sleeps the full 4 hours, but then on other days like today he is fine for 2 hours and then spends the next 2 hours whining and barking.

I can only assume it is because he needs to pee.He is always keen to go back into his crate when he sees me getting stuff ready to leave again and preparing his "crate treat" so I don't think it is just due to being crated or surely he wouldn't want to go back in?

I exercise him in the morning before he goes out and always give him two toilet breaks 15 mins and 5 mins before I leave. He is then crated for 4 hours. I come home, take him for a short walk, he has dinner and again I send him out multiple times to pee before crating him again.

I had read that they should be able to hold it for age in months +1, so at almost 4 months he should be capable of 4-5hours?

I don't want my pup to be distressed while i'm out, or for my neighbours to have to put up with that level of barking. Any suggestions?

Well he could be crying for a few reason, 4 hours is a long time for a 14 wk old pup to be alone do he may just need comfort, or he may be bored. i wouldnt expect a pup to hold their bladder for anything longer than 3 hours..4 at the absolute max, if he is then he is doing well. Have a look on you tube for crate bordom busters, things like kongs with frozen peanut butter inside is a good one :)

He has 2 stuffed kongs (which he generally doesn't finish), one of those bristle bone things and his kong wubber thing which is his favourite toy plus and few other bits and bobs that I alternate to keep it fresh.

He has a blanket and pillow to cuddle up to for comfort.

Any other suggestions? I can't pop home any more frequently.

Is he dry when u get to him or has he wee'd?..my pups fav thing I the kong wubba too:)

Dry, and usually shuts up as soon as I pull up on the drive and is then quiet while I get in, deposit my bits and bobs and then let him out in the garden to relieve himself.

In fact he's only ever wee'd in his crate once on the first night I got him, and only wee'd in the house a handful of times so he's pretty good on that front.

WOW what a good boy !..ahhh it just sounds like he is missing you, it will get easier im sure x do you have a trust worthy teenage ha you could pay a fiver to maybe to pop in mid way and check on him?..we had to get a dog walker for Willow the days i work because i leave at 8 and my hubby isnt back till 3ish..we only pay £8 for a 1.5hours walk, but ive got friends who pay a local teenager a fiver to pop in for half an hour and that seems to break up he day for their dogs x

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm meeting a dog walker later this week with a view to getting some help, just not quite sure how to break up the day as I figure a walk from the walker and a visit from me would split the day nicely in 3 but my lunch breaks are pretty fixed.

Not sure if I'd a teenager just yet with him as he's still so young and untrained.

It sounds like he's doing wonderfully for such a young puppy, to be honest. At 14 weeks they would still have 24/7 attention from mum if they weren't with us in a human world so mummy would be there any time he happened to wake up, to tell him that everything is OK. It's quite possible that this is all he's looking for when he wakes up and that keeps him awake once he's started calling.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back