The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How much exercise is enough?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
We work normal hours really, probably about 9 hours per day. The point I was making was that we don't have outdoor jobs where we could take the dogs along for stimulation; nor do either of us live a life of leisure. We do take regular breaks from work though, so there will be many opportunities during a typical day for a 10 minute play in the garden for example, as well as the two proper walks per day. From my current understanding this should be enough for a less demanding breed, but not for a GSD or similar.

The dig about not being unready for responsibility is uncalled for. We're both extremely responsible and hardworking people, and I fail to see how anything I've written here is indicative of anything else.

Spooky, there was no ‘dig’ re ‘not being unready for responsibility (?)’. It was merely a cautionary indication toward what should be considered prior to taking on a dog for life. As mentioned in my message, there are lots of instances where dogs have been taken on but for so many reasons have had to be put up for adoption - I’ve had first hand experience of this as have others and it’s very sad and traumatic for an animal with 100% trust in its previous owners (because it has no choice) to have the carpet swept away from under its feet. That’s the neggie side which I’m sure you will have taken on board. I hope it all works out well for ALL parties.

he dig about not being unready for responsibility is uncalled for. We're both extremely responsible and hardworking people, and I fail to see how anything I've written here is indicative of anything else.

I think it's just that on the internet people can read things wrong and jump to the wrong conclusions, whereas face to face any faulty impression can be cleared up straight away. I'm like you - a bit of a couch potato my nature and work from home. I know I'd be the wrong owner for a dog with a lively mind like a collie, but a perfect match for a sighthound. Sighthounds are generally very happy to spend all day in between walks snoozing on sofas, and would much rather do that than repetitive training. I'd recommend one, but don't know if they look 'scary' enough for you.

I had a mastiff x rottie and she was the loveliest dog and was my shadow. She was big with a loud bark who took her guarding duties very seriously with regards to letting me know that someone was nearby but she was a very gentle dog. Definitely easier for an inexperienced owner than the GSDs I have known.

As far as walking was concerned we tended to do about 45 minutes a day but do have a very large garden and other dogs.

Now apparently I'm a couch potato too lol :rolleyes:! Where did that come from??

Funny how if you say you want to have a child you get nothing but encouragement. Say you want a dog and you get people making all sorts of negative assumptions about you and trying to put you off.

Thanks to those of you who made helpful suggestions.

Now apparently I'm a couch potato too lol :rolleyes:! Where did that come from??

Funny how if you say you want to have a child you get nothing but encouragement. Say you want a dog and you get people making all sorts of negative assumptions about you and trying to put you off.

Thanks to those of you who made helpful suggestions.
You’re welcome.

Apologies, that was me, and badly worded (because you're not couch potatoes - you're working):oops: But when you work from home, it really is helpful to have a dog who is a couch potato when you need him to be.

I think we have a tendency to appear negative and point out the downsides/possible issues because we hear so much about what can go wrong when the needs of the dog and the owners aren't a good match. Good luck with finding your perfect match:)

Reactions: RGC

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back