The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How Much Exercise?

whippetwise

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Lucys routine has changed a bit, during the week I take her for a walk in the morning, let her out for a toilet break at lunch and a walk in the evening. Problem is where I live, I have to drive a good bit to get to safe places where she can run free so her walks are along a busy road on the lead. Just wondering how much weekly free running is acceptable for a whippet. Bear in mind that she is an only dog and in between her walks she has absolutely no exercise as all she wants to do is sleep on my bed ALL DAY . She really is very lazy and at the moment she doesnt want to go outside at all, last night I tried taking her for a walk and she started rearing up, like a bucking horse, totally out of character as she is always very good on the lead. It was quite scary as she ended up half out on the road when a car was coming, I pulled her in quickly, we cut the walk short and headed back home. I dont think she likes the snow at all, I have her in a knitted jumper and a citycroft coat and her teeth still chatter with the cold!. Free running for her is only at the weekends when I drive to the park and throw her tennis ball for her or head up the forest and let her off lead. If this is the only free running she gets, ideally how long should her walks be during the week in order to make sure she is getting enough exercise.

Thanks

Sarah

If she feels the cold, I can strongly recommend a Luxe coat from Whippetwear - beautifully made, keeps the tum warm as well, long poloneck and generously cut over both front and back ends ... not cheap, but worth every penny, my wippitty loves his - so impressed by it I also coughed up for the raincoat version. Have tried layering in the past and lots of different jackets, this is definiutely the best so far and he's happy to stay out in it!

I’m lucky in that I can let my dogs off the lead after a short walk so they get to run free every day. I have a whippet pup who has a dog coat but I don’t put it on when I take him out. He doesn’t seem to mind the cold at all as he keeps warm by running – last night the snow was deeper than the dog in places. I think your dog might have just been excited by the snow and perhaps wanted to play in it without being restricted by the lead. My dog was literally crying yesterday to be let out when he spotted my daughter and her mates outside and my old dog still enjoys the snow even though he’s not able to run about much. If there are cows with calves in the fields I stick to the roads and do about 3 and a half miles but part of that walk goes through a nature reserve so the dog still gets to run free.

Eamonn

Don't worry too much that Lucy didn't want to go out in the snow - mine don't like it much either!!

It would be nice for her to have a good half hour road walking each morning to set her up for the day and take her to free run whenever you can!

Weekends is fine as she is your pet and not in race training!!

I'd take her out for a walk again in the evening too :thumbsup:

The wonderful thing about whippets is that they are just as happy to curl up and sleep if the weather is bad but spring will soon be here and Lucy will want to be out and about all the time :sweating: :lol:

My Gypsy is a only whippie as well...and would quite happily spend the day flat out on my bed, we have a park very close to us but on many occasions it hasnt been suitable for her to be off lead in there so we walk her on lead for about 45 mins.................she always gets a good few hours off lead on both saturdays and sundays......and she seems quite happy with that....once it gets a bit warmer we will start out night time walks again............ :thumbsup:

If she feels the cold, I can strongly recommend a Luxe coat from Whippetwear - beautifully made, keeps the tum warm as well, long poloneck and generously cut over both front and back ends ... not cheap, but worth every penny, my wippitty loves his - so impressed by it I also coughed up for the raincoat version. Have tried layering in the past and lots of different jackets, this is definiutely the best so far and he's happy to stay out in it!
Do you know where you get these in the UK? I can only find their Australian website. Ta :)

Do you know where you get these in the UK? I can only find their Australian website. Ta :)
That's where they come from! But it was a very quick turnaround and great service - Melle took great care about ensuring the measurements were right when I wasn't certain ... placed the order on 21 Jan (paid by PayPal) ... then spent about 3 days of swopping emails to check on fit and measurements and it arrived Tuesday this week - made to measure and a faster service than some UK companies ...

Those Luxe coats are very stylish, are they waterproof?
There are single fleece (for cold days) double fleece (for very cold days) and waterproof ones with cosy fleece lining for wet days ... check out the site ... the waterproof version is called 'Splash' ... has a waterproof and fleece lined chest section like the Luxe .... perfect for those with baldy tums who feel the cold there ... and nice deep cut front and back - first coats I've found that tick all these boxes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back