The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How much is too much poop?

Discussion in 'Puppy Forum' started by Jellybean33, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Jellybean33

Jellybean33 New Member Registered

Hi everyone
    I have an 11 week old Frenchie who has been on butternut box for a couple of weeks and pooped 2/3 times a day.
    The amount of food didn’t seem much though. I felt like she was always hungry.
    Anyway we just changed over to an apparently high quality kibble from our local pet shop as it worked out a lot cheaper but the amount recommended to feed her seems an awful lot and she’s now pooping 6/10 times a day!
    They’re all firm but it just seems a lot.

Any advice/is this normal? or shall I just accept paying more and go back to butternut box?
    Thanks in advance:)

2. Hemlock

Hemlock Well-Known Member Registered

Some commercial foods contain a lot of indigestible filler and so result in more poop. While we all have to keep an eye on expenses, I am of the opinion that we should give our dogs, growing pups especially, the best food we can. We only get out in health what we put in as food.

3. JudyN

JudyN Moderator Moderator Registered

It could be that the amount really is too much, for her at least, rather than being a poor-quality food. Could you say which food it is (brand and variety)? Though my dog pooed a lot on every kibble, even the high-quality grain-free ones, and a lot less on raw.

4. Jellybean33

It’s my local pet shops own brand, it’s grain free and high meat content.
    But even when I started introducing little bits while switching it over she started pooping more.
    Today being on it completely she’s been about 10 times! And I haven’t even given her the full recommended amount.
    I think I may go back to butternut box.

5. Jellybean33

I think you’re right there about giving them the best. Thank you

6. CoCo2014

CoCo2014 Member Registered

I've never fed any kibble in 60 years of dog owning. Used to be mainly green tripe in the 1950s to a fully mixed raw including all types of meat including game. My dogs only ever poo 2/3 times a day in line with their feeding times-raw food is digested at a slower rate than kibble & the poo is small in consistency. Because raw food is slower than processed food to be fully digested, more of the actual raw is digested, meaning small poops

7. Rox

Rox New Member Registered