The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

How much walking?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Lol, sounds like an awesome sighthound puppy :)
My 2 cents - walk more without forcing him (more sniffing around, watching things, etc.) Maybe this will bring 5 min crazy sessions down to 2-3 min? But when zoomies take over - keep yourself out of the way, don't try to catch him, you getting knocked over won't help much.
I preferred my puppy to have zoomies outside, on the grass, seemed safer for him... but flip side was that we don't have a fence and there are plenty of animals in the woods behind the house.
This shall pass too. My guess - you will miss these times one day ;-)

What ever your pup is like,I've seen it multiple times. As a toddler I used to take my afternoon nap with 4 of them.

I'll leave to it there ,,, good luck you'll need it.

LMAO! I think I'll be in for an early grave!

Lol, sounds like an awesome sighthound puppy :)
My 2 cents - walk more without forcing him (more sniffing around, watching things, etc.) Maybe this will bring 5 min crazy sessions down to 2-3 min? But when zoomies take over - keep yourself out of the way, don't try to catch him, you getting knocked over won't help much.
I preferred my puppy to have zoomies outside, on the grass, seemed safer for him... but flip side was that we don't have a fence and there are plenty of animals in the woods behind the house.
This shall pass too. My guess - you will miss these times one day ;-)
Bless you! I know I will miss them, but I worry so much for his wellbeing. He is the sweetest little chap - I am so lucky with every animal I have had they are or were wonderful, but this guy is a little different, he is SMART and EXUBERANT! LOL One of his favourite games is hide and seek, I hide he zooms round to pounce on me! LOL Oh, yeah, I think the ultimate game is minding my own business sitting on the sofa to suddenly have Robin flying through the air and landing on my head!

My lurchers did 30 mph easy and I was happy with that as they was hunting game, we expect that! But a out of control dog not under control is something I can’t except,

If you haven't already, I suggest you read The House Lurcher by J.Drakeford, which gives a lot of information on how to manage and what to expect from this kind of dog. Even though yours is a pure breed, it all works for pedigree sighthounds as well.

And if you want a good laugh, and an illustration of just how loopy sighthounds can be, read Walking Ollie and Along Came Dylan by Stephen Foster. The dogs are salukis (or saluki crosses - can't remember), but share the sighthound loopiness... with an added box of frogs. Just don't regard them as a guideline to how to train your dog!

Yet again I must of been lucky, both my lurchers was too tired to run my house, I would not have let them for one., if after a few day resting ie.injury or a hard few days hunting the next time we was out for a stretch they did do the loopy circle run .

My lurchers did 30 mph easy and I was happy with that as they was hunting game, we expect that! But a out of control dog not under control is something I can’t except,

So please do tell, how would YOU control an out of control 4 month old puppy, who was just having some fun and letting off steam?

Borzois are known to be a little bit crazy ...totally different to lurchers :p:p:D;)

I cant add anything for Borzois as I've never lived with one, but I think most people that have had a running dog as a pup will know about the zoomies, when they just run for no reason other than they want to. For sure with Whippet pups I have seen them do the wall of death around the lounge. A dog the size of yours though is more likely to hurt itself and damage its legs, (and indeed yours), so I can understand your desire to stop the behavior but I cant suggest anything sorry.

Thank you, yes I do understand. I will shorten the walks exponentally for now. I am not sure how I can get him to NOT belt frantically round the garden or the lounge though, I can only let him in the garden on his lead if necessary, but how so in the house? This is often occurring after he has eaten also, often but not only! He is such a happy, little chap and really does just want to run. I was planning on getting him up to the yard and let him run in the back (closed by cornish hedging) field, but that, clearly then is a BAD idea so young. Thank you so much for your very speedy and wise response. :)

Basic rule of thumb for puppies for lead walking is 5 minutes for each month of life-eh 5 months old 25 minutes walk twice a day. Free running at home is OK as long as it isn't over done & he rests afterwards. Borzois are big dogs so need plenty of rest after exercise & no meals just before or after exercise

All my dog's especially my whippets have had the zoomies my youngest is over 2 years and still gets the zoomies in the house, ive always let them or sent them into my garden. It's just a part of having a puppy especially sighthounds they are like letting a squirrel loose in your house! Enjoy they grow up to quickly.

This thread has been super useful - thanks everyone. Jan your pup sounds amazing :D

We had been wondering about at what point to look into a secure dog field to allow some off lead running for our lurcher but it sounds like we should probably wait til about 12 months or so to avoid her going into turbo for too long.

We do have a secure grassy path that goes along all the back gardens. Once she's immunised I was wondering about letting her do a few zoomies up and down there in the evening rather than have her zooming round in our garden avoiding all the obstacles and changing direction all the time. Re joints, any thoughts on whether it's worth trying to minimise the sharp changes of direction that way at least a few times a week (but she may be able to get up a bit more speed on the runway I mean grassy path)?

With lurchers and sighthounds, it's about steering an uneasy path between letting them blat for their mental welfare, and protecting their joints. You can only do your best. I'd continue letting her run on her own but don't let her run with other dogs as that has a higher chance of causing injuries. And as with foals, it's better to take the smaller risk of letting them run before they have their adult speed and weight, so by the time that comes, they have a bit more control over their legs.
When the time comes to try the dog enclosure, be aware that these dogs can clear six feet from a standstill, and with no discernible effort.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back