The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How to stop my dog jumping on dining table

Discussion in 'Dog Behaviour and Training' started by Donna1001, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Donna1001

Donna1001 New Member Registered

Hello everyone. Wonder if anyone can help with my little problem, please?
    I have 2 dogs, sisters from the same litter. They are 2 years old & a mix of 3 different breeds.

One of them keeps jumping on the dining table. I don’t know how to make her stop as she only does it when we’re not in.

She does it so she can see through the kitchen window at us arriving home. I’ve shouted through the window for her to get down, which she does, but I want her to stop doing it in the first place.

Any ideas, please?

2. Mad Murphy

Mad Murphy Well-Known Member Registered

Move the table? Close the curtains so she cant see out?
    It sounds like a bit of SA so maybe you need to work on that so she can calm down and not get so excited about your return

3. Donna1001

Thank you for your reply.

I can’t move the table or get curtains (tiny window, it wouldn’t look right), I’m afraid.

SA? I’m assuming this is separation anxiety. She is a very excitable dog, but how do we get her to calm when we’re not in the room with her?

4. JudyN

JudyN Well-Known Member Registered

This isn't something you can really train - dogs don't generalise 'What I mustn't do when my owner is here' to 'What I mustn't do ever'. So you need to make it less enticing, e.g. by shutting the curtains as MadMurphy suggested, blocking access (which could be tricky), or doing something like cover it in cardboard boxes.

An alternative is simply to go along with it... cover the table with a cloth thick enough that it won't slide up if she jumps up, and take it off when you want to use it. Or put a tablecloth over it when you want to use it.

5. Donna1001

I did wonder about putting a box or something (that looks nice) in front of the window that she can climb on instead.

6. JudyN

JudyN Well-Known Member Registered

Yup, that could work too - though she'd have to be convinced it was a better vantage point than the table.