The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Howling Dog

kerry0378

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My next door neighbour has a young bedlington terrier (about 9 months) and it suffers from separation anxiety. As soon as his owner is out the dog constantly barks and yowls. I know he has a cage for him and as far as I know it is being used. I just wondered if there are anything else to try as after a long day at work, hearing this constantly is wearing on my nerves

My next door neighbour has a young bedlington terrier (about 9 months) and it suffers from separation anxiety. As soon as his owner is out the dog constantly barks and yowls. I know he has a cage for him and as far as I know it is being used. I just wondered if there are anything else to try as after a long day at work, hearing this constantly is wearing on my nerves
Ear plugs!! :clown:

No seriously firstly does the owner know and choosing to ignore it, or is he unaware of what his pup is doing? you may find a quiet word with him if he is an approachable person may help, if you can record the noise so he can see how bad it actually is, you may well find him hearing how distressed his little pup is whilst he's out will spur him into action.

At 9 months this is in danger of becoming firmly embeded in the pups mind "as this is what to do whilst I'm on my own". Right the only idea I can think of off the top of my head is, we had a similar problem with our pup at bedtimes, we would put her in her cage with toys treats etc turn off the lights and go to bed, she would then start to howl and scream in a very distrssed way which we tried to ignore so that it didn't become a way for her to get her own way but this was impossible, it was suggested to us that we should put a ticking clock beside the cage and to completely cover the cage with a blanket so as to exclude all outside light from the cage just as it would be inside a wild den, This worked instantly and I'm assuming it was the blanket and not the clock (because that has been taken away as it was the first thing she grabbed when let out of the cage in the morning) and it is still working so much so that she doesn't even emit a wimper just goes straight to sleep.

Good luck finding a resolution to this, it's bad enough being disturbed by your own animals let alone a neighbours

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back