The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Humping and human humping

Jadey staff

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all I really some desperate advice about this humping isuue my boy gets het up about as its startng to get really annoying. There must be something we can do for him besides letting him breed as we don't need any more dogs on our streets than there already is.i do feel for him as sometimes he howls on his own and that hurts that I can't help him. Any advice or guidance on this would be greatly listened too. I have had dogs all my life and I'm not new to any behaviour but this is heartbreaking at the least

Hello and welcome.

Actually, humping is seldom a sexual behaviour - it often is a behaviour that's rooted in anxiety. Letting him breed won't help address it, and if he does have any anxiety he definitely shouldn't be bred from.

Can you describe a bit more about the circumstances when he is likely to do it? And more background information will help too - how old he is, how long he has been doing this, and what a typical day is for him.

Hello and welcome.

Actually, humping is seldom a sexual behaviour - it often is a behaviour that's rooted in anxiety. Letting him breed won't help address it, and if he does have any anxiety he definitely shouldn't be bred from.

Can you describe a bit more about the circumstances when he is likely to do it? And more background information will help too - how old he is, how long he has been doing this, and what a typical day is for him.
Hello and thank you for your reply.
So I rescued him from an abusive family at 5 weeks old and he was the runt and wasn't getting anything at the time. When he came to me he was grey, bald and in a poor state..He was originally for my 17yr old daughter but me and him bonded instantly amd he attached himself to me and adores me and is depressed when I have to go out shopping (my girls say). He is treat like a king but us fully trained and has no bad behaviours (apart from humping) he has never had to be disciplined or gets told off. He is my apple of my eye and I absolutely adore him but he wouldn't get away with any nonsense (just so you know I'm not daft) we have( titan)a large 7yr old American bulldog also and they get on splendid but only does it to titan (humping) wen he comes in from his long walks.. I have had dogs all my life and have never came up to this problem. He is 4 years old and gets constant attention if he wants it from me and the 2 older girls of mine because he is so sweet and loving... He carries my shopping home and barks at me if I don't let him, he is a relentless kisser to my girls and if he don't get that kiss he goes in a mood.. I know him so well that I know wen he hasn't had one..haha.He is walked 5 if not 6 times per week at least 3 mile a go and off lead most time because he listens and is that good for me.He sits in the front garden with his bed and enjoys barking at people (only certain ones) just guarding the gate.. So I'm saying his personality and temperament is amazing and he melts everyone he meets.. So he sees his brother and it's prolific (the humping) and that's been since 6 weeks old but just with the brother at that point and then just before turning 3 years old he started to do out walking anywere (humping) to every single dog, male female, small, large, friendly or not he would try until being told to get off and sometimes gets aggressive (but only verbally!) ..i feel he dosent even know what's he is doing either as hes been known to even goes to the head of the other dog.. But it's constant and he has turned to me recently and Im not happy about it at all and I feel so sorry for him as I don't know what is going on.. I've heard him howl in the garden a couple of times which makes me think he is suffering..I do think he has issue with anxiety from being mistreated in the cage. He shakes profusely outside shops (like near cages and trolleys) and I've tried and tried to comfort him and nothing works. Loud pops he hates(even chewing gum), that's the only thing I can say about his anxiety but i have tried to deter it and love him even more but nothing up to now. He had a luxating patella and I got him treatment for it and I really thought that would be a trigger for humping coz of his frustration if he was in pain, it did calm it down like 50 percent and the verbal aggression curbed aswell alot but not stopped. I don't want him to breed and I also don't want to get him neutered.. Sorry if that's a long one I just wanted to get everything in. Regards

How many times a day would you say he tries to hump you, and what do you do when he does?

How many times a day would you say he tries to hump you, and what do you do when he does?
Hi judy
It's not very often he does to me about 3 times in his 4 years. He only has ever got to the frantic licking ear stage and as soon as I realise and move away with a firm NO and then he will just keep away but stare at me all night.
Regards

So, sorry but I just want to be clear - he mainly does this to your other dog, and it's after he has been on a walk; and it's to other dogs he sees while he is on a walk. Is that right?

What are his walks like? Is he running around, sniffing, playing with whoever is walking him?

And what is the verbal aggression you mentioned?

So, sorry but I just want to be clear - he mainly does this to your other dog, and it's after he has been on a walk; and it's to other dogs he sees while he is on a walk. Is that right?

What are his walks like? Is he running around, sniffing, playing with whoever is walking him?

And what is the verbal aggression you mentioned?
Hi joanne
No he dosent just do it to my other dog, to me it looks like excitement wen he hasn't seen him for a few hours (this is wen he does it) but lives with him amd has done for 4 years with no issue around this (asides from he will lick were titan has just been laid There is absolutely no pattern as I would of seen it by now. No he does it to any dog wether on walks or in his garden until being told to get off numerous times... He is on a long walks in woodland or fields off lead mostly but in sight always and loves to chase rabbits and squirrels but just does his own thing mostly sniffing and exploring ..If my daughters dog comes then it's no different as a walk. Controlled always with no chaos and back on lead wen other dogs are in sight or on their leads because he will just try and hump amd then if they don't let him (which they don't) he growls at them if they move.

I think I'd be keeping him on a lead and preventing the opportunity completely - including in the house.

Maybe others will have more suggestions.

I agree with JoanneF. It sounds like this has got to be a habit, and his way of enjoying himself. It is also frequently a case of bullying the other dog, so it is harmful to the other dog. It's a shame not to be able to let him off lead unless in a safe, dog-free area, but needs must. Upping his recall training would be a good idea, so he's more likely to come back to you if you see another dog. If you use a long lead (for safety attached to a harness rather than a collar), he'll still be able to have freedom to explore and sniff, even if he can't chase rabbits.

My neutered dog used to try to hump the occasional dog - male or female - so I had to step in to prevent it. He would also occasionally try to hump me - the trigger was if I'd been down at floor level playing with him and he realised I was about to get up (and stop playing, I guess). When I had a feeling he was about to do this I'd give him a firm 'down' and 'wait' command, which mostly worked. If not, as he was almost as big as me, I'd end up struggling to extricate myself while laughing:D

Something else you can try in the home is redirecting him to a large cushion - this can work for some.

I agree with JoanneF. It sounds like this has got to be a habit, and his way of enjoying himself. It is also frequently a case of bullying the other dog, so it is harmful to the other dog. It's a shame not to be able to let him off lead unless in a safe, dog-free area, but needs must. Upping his recall training would be a good idea, so he's more likely to come back to you if you see another dog. If you use a long lead (for safety attached to a harness rather than a collar), he'll still be able to have freedom to explore and sniff, even if he can't chase rabbits.

My neutered dog used to try to hump the occasional dog - male or female - so I had to step in to prevent it. He would also occasionally try to hump me - the trigger was if I'd been down at floor level playing with him and he realised I was about to get up (and stop playing, I guess). When I had a feeling he was about to do this I'd give him a firm 'down' and 'wait' command, which mostly worked. If not, as he was almost as big as me, I'd end up struggling to extricate myself while laughing:D

Something else you can try in the home is redirecting him to a large cushion - this can work for some.
Hi judy
I've tried the cushion and no interest and I've tried other things with no avail,him being off lead and his recall is not a problem and him listening to me is not a problem either. My issue is him acting so desperate when I'm off guard and me feeling sorry for him. It's quite draining for me and I want to help him curb that urge as he shows me he wants it and needs it. I really need some what of an expert to tell me the science of a dogs hormone cycle so I can research into it and find the best way forward because me telling him off every day and keeping him grounded to a halt is not the way I would answer it. Thank you for your reply
Regards

Hello and welcome.

Hi Joanne
I was interested in your anxiety comment. Do you have any ideas about this in dogs and how to manage please other than all what I already do
Regards

Hi Joanne
I was interested in your anxiety comment. Do you have any ideas about this in dogs and how to manage please other than all what I already do
Regards
He has some sort of anxiety but is well behaved in every way so the seldom behaviour does not apply to this situation also
Regards

It's quite draining for me and I want to help him curb that urge as he shows me he wants it and needs it.

As has been said, though, humping is not necessarily a sexual urge, but an outcome of excitement that can then form a habit - 'There's a dog, this is how I play, because it's FUN!!' If you can prevent it happening, then as with any other habit, it will decrease, and the urge will decrease. And it's much better to prevent, than intercede when he's either humping or thinking of humping, because then you won't have to 'tell him off'. 'Telling off' isn't going to help in the long term anyway - it could increase his arousal levels, making it harder for him to break from the behaviour. The point of training excellent recall isn't so much to get him to come back to you when he doesn't want to, it's making coming back to you seem like an even better option than what he's doing. Which is tricky, as humping is self-rewarding, hence the importance of prevention.

But sometimes humping is sexual, and if you've ruled out stress/habit through what's been suggested here, possibly neutering would help. It's possible to 'chemically castrate' a dog, which is reversible, so this could give an idea of whether surgical neutering would help. Even though you don't like the idea, which is understandable, it could possibly be in his best interests.

As has been said, though, humping is not necessarily a sexual urge, but an outcome of excitement that can then form a habit - 'There's a dog, this is how I play, because it's FUN!!' If you can prevent it happening, then as with any other habit, it will decrease, and the urge will decrease. And it's much better to prevent, than intercede when he's either humping or thinking of humping, because then you won't have to 'tell him off'. 'Telling off' isn't going to help in the long term anyway - it could increase his arousal levels, making it harder for him to break from the behaviour. The point of training excellent recall isn't so much to get him to come back to you when he doesn't want to, it's making coming back to you seem like an even better option than what he's doing. Which is tricky, as humping is self-rewarding, hence the importance of prevention.

But sometimes humping is sexual, and if you've ruled out stress/habit through what's been suggested here, possibly neutering would help. It's possible to 'chemically castrate' a dog, which is reversible, so this could give an idea of whether surgical neutering would help. Even though you don't like the idea, which is understandable, it could possibly be in his best interests.
Hi Judy
Many thanks for your explanation as I feel that I can understand this more now due to your reply. I have ruled out the habit stage but maybe not the stress part.He loves to play with others but the whole time of him playing he has end game which unfortunately loses him friends. I would love to know what he is stressing over as his life is so loving and filled with attention and so easy for him. Chemical castration I would consider after all has been tried with him. Any advice on the anxiety/ stress parts.
Regards

Hi Joanne
Regards

There's a few things you can do to help with anxiety, including not putting him into situations he can't handle. Also look up pattern games - the pattern makes them predictable and the predictability builds confidence. Pheromone products that smell like a lactating bitch can help too.

I think you might need to take a multi pronged approach with prevention, redirection and the above. Ideally, a behaviourist would observe him in person though. If you have insurance it may cover that.

There's a few things you can do to help with anxiety, including not putting him into situations he can't handle. Also look up pattern games - the pattern makes them predictable and the predictability builds confidence. Pheromone products that smell like a lactating bitch can help too.

I think you might need to take a multi pronged approach with prevention, redirection and the above. Ideally, a behaviourist would observe him in person though. If you have insurance it may cover that.
Hi Joanne
Yes great I can certainly start with these pointers. Predictability builds confidence meaninghe will be too clever unless I can see it to prevent it before it happens?? Pattern games I will do that ASAP.. How do I know if there is a situation he can't handle as he is included in everything with everyone in the family and does not show stress (as mentioned before only the 2 things I know of). That would mean I don't let him near titan for a n hour or so straight after a walk.. Not meeting any dogs on a walk and removing him from the room when he tries in his own house.. So punishment in a nice way then really?
Regards

Predictability builds confidence meaninghe will be too clever unless I can see it to prevent it before it happens?

Not quite. In a pattern game, the whole idea is to let him predict what will happen next. If he knows what's coming, and that he won't be taken by surprise over something, in theory that should help him feel more relaxed.

For example, if you drive - you perhaps feel more confident on roads you know really well, rather than driving through a busy city that you haven't been to before. It's a bit like that, it's about making him feel more confident rather than anxious.

That would mean I don't let him near titan for a n hour or so straight after a walk.. Not meeting any dogs on a walk and removing him from the room when he tries in his own house.

Yes, or possibly letting him be in the same room but on a lead so he can't pester Titan.

Not quite. In a pattern game, the whole idea is to let him predict what will happen next. If he knows what's coming, and that he won't be taken by surprise over something, in theory that should help him feel more relaxed.

For example, if you drive - you perhaps feel more confident on roads you know really well, rather than driving through a busy city that you haven't been to before. It's a bit like that, it's about making him feel more confident rather than anxious.

Yes, or possibly letting him be in the same room but on a lead so he can't pester Titan.
Yes that will be happening from now on

Hi and you think that will curb some anxiety for him if so that's great advice and thank you.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back