The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Humping and human humping

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Not quite. In a pattern game, the whole idea is to let him predict what will happen next. If he knows what's coming, and that he won't be taken by surprise over something, in theory that should help him feel more relaxed.

For example, if you drive - you perhaps feel more confident on roads you know really well, rather than driving through a busy city that you haven't been to before. It's a bit like that, it's about making him feel more confident rather than anxious.

Yes, or possibly letting him be in the same room but on a lead so he can't pester Titan.
Hi in what way would pheromone products help him with urges?
Regards

A pheromone product replicates the scent his mother would have had while he was nursing, and generally has a calming effect.

A pheromone product replicates the scent his mother would have had while he was nursing, and generally has a calming effect.
Unfortunately he dosent go near his mother and she hates him and all her pups because the way they were all treat in the cage.i thought that you meant that the female scent is there constantly so he won't look for it. But you me a for his anxiety?
Regards

I do mean for anxiety. The product comes as a spray (for bedding etc) or a collar or plug in, it artificially mimics the scent of the mother and is supposed to be calming.

Do you still have contact with his mother?

I do mean for anxiety. The product comes as a spray (for bedding etc) or a collar or plug in, it artificially mimics the scent of the mother and is supposed to be calming.

Do you still have contact with his mother?
I could be but not for long and have taken him to see his mother twice and thats how I know. His mother and father are I hope in the process of being taken by the rspca, badly mistreated and malnourished. Hence why I rescued him..
Regards

I could be but not for long and have taken him to see his mother twice and thats how I know. His mother and father are I hope in the process of being taken by the rspca, badly mistreated and malnourished. Hence why I rescued him..
Regards
Joanne do you have any situations to explain a dog with anxiety. I'm sure he has some sort but I did believe with his over loving care that his traumatised baby days would dissappear in his mindset
Regards

Can we take a step back here? You rescued him from an ”abusive” family at 5 weeks old. But he doesn't go near his mother - why, or how, is she even in the picture?

Can we take a step back here? You rescued him from an ”abusive” family at 5 weeks old. But he doesn't go near his mother - why, or how, is she even in the picture?
What do you mean in the picture. She lives up the road with the said family and isn't in our lives. They were selling them and he was the runt and was left to fend and I went round (as I knew them) and took him. Here we are now.
Regards

Unfortunately, trauma at an early age can cause lasting changes in emotions and behaviour which can't always be completely fixed (the same is true of humans). Creating an environment where he feels safe, with a good attachment to you and your family, and can feel calm will help a lot, but won't reverse the effects completely.

And on the other hand, some dogs (and people) can be anxious stress-heads despite having a good early upbringing.

There's a difference between scents and pheromones - they are sensed by different organs - and a pheromone spray or plug-in will be very different from him simply 'smelling' his mother. Think of them more like essential oild used in aromatherapy.

Sorry Joanne I probably should of said I rescued him from a domestic home as rescues come to homes in many different ways
Regards

Unfortunately, trauma at an early age can cause lasting changes in emotions and behaviour which can't always be completely fixed (the same is true of humans). Creating an environment where he feels safe, with a good attachment to you and your family, and can feel calm will help a lot, but won't reverse the effects completely.

And on the other hand, some dogs (and people) can be anxious stress-heads despite having a good early upbringing.

There's a difference between scents and pheromones - they are sensed by different organs - and a pheromone spray or plug-in will be very different from him simply 'smelling' his mother. Think of them more like essential oild used in aromatherapy.
Hi Judy
Hahahha I love that comment of yours(stress head) because rather than beating around the bush your right to say that in many ways. Yes I understand the need for a plug in and hope you understand why my questions are very picky as I tend, love and care for this dog like I did with my girls who are now 18 and 20.He is so special to me and I juts want to help him be the best version of him there can be. I've never seeked advice as I've always used my own knowledge or my own 25yr old books with real facts in. I appreciate your insight alot
Regards

He is completely attached to me amd all can see that from afar..

hope you understand why my questions are very picky as I tend, love and care for this dog like I did with my girls who are now 18 and 20.

Absolutely - and as you'll have discovered, there's a lot of different opinions and a lot of bad advice on the internet, so it takes a lot of thought to decide which makes sense to you. Bear in mind that 25-year-old dog beehaviour/training books are almost certainly well out of date with outdated, incorrect and unhelpful advice.

Also bear in mind that attachment can have two sides - a dog who is generally anxious may need to stay close to his favourite person, never wanting to let them out of his sight, and worrying when they're not around, like a security blanket. Obviously we want our dogs to feel very attached to us, but also be confident and, to an extent, independent - not worry that if you're not there, the sky will fall in, and be unable to cope. (I'm not saying that this is the case with your dog, just something to be aware of.)

Absolutely - and as you'll have discovered, there's a lot of different opinions and a lot of bad advice on the internet, so it takes a lot of thought to decide which makes sense to you. Bear in mind that 25-year-old dog beehaviour/training books are almost certainly well out of date with outdated, incorrect and unhelpful advice.

Also bear in mind that attachment can have two sides - a dog who is generally anxious may need to stay close to his favourite person, never wanting to let them out of his sight, and worrying when they're not around, like a security blanket. Obviously we want our dogs to feel very attached to us, but also be confident and, to an extent, independent - not worry that if you're not there, the sky will fall in, and be unable to cope. (I'm not saying that this is the case with your dog, just something to be aware of.)
Hi Judy
Yes I do totally agree with you., it's one or the other for my boy and I'm going to start with these pointers from you and Joanne F with my monday week. I have nothing to lose.. Can't wait to try.
Regards

Repetitive rhythmic action releases endorphins. It is widely seen in people and animals. Not only those who are stressed at the time, but also those who are processing stress from the past.

That is likely what this dog is doing. Sounds as if he has a lot to process, and relatively few dog behaviourists have the experience/skills set to help you help him through it. From that base, allow yourself to be proud of what you have achieved so far.

What this requires is the patience of a saint, but it can be done. Walks are fairly easy - just keep him on-lead anywhere you may meet other dogs because it is absolutely necessary to stop him practising this behaviour on them. Walks don't have to be boring because he can't "play" with other dogs - you can make them entertaining by letting him carry a toy, find one you have dropped behind you (only few yards and in plain sight, and nowhere another dog can seize it) sniff out a few tiny treats you have scattered. A long line will give him more liberty to move about, but it is vital that he is always on a short lead if another dog or person appears. When you can, hire a fenced area where he can run about with you but not other dogs. This isn't forever, but initial progress may be slow. The objectives are to build his confidence so he doesn't need to self-reward by humping. This is the worst it gets because you MUST commit to his never being able to practise the behaviour.

It's easier in the home, but again will be inconvenient for you. You will probably recognise the signs he is going to hump. At first you may not be quick enough to stop him, so when he starts or looks as if he is going to, stop him, redirect him to the BIG cushion every-single-time. You tell us he has no interest, but if this is the only humping he can do, he will either accept the change or stop. We have a list of inexpensive activity toys you can make that will de-stress him in the same way humping does, and I'm sure someone will provide a link because I don't have the computer skills! Every-single-time, haul him off (don't say ANYTHING) present him with the cushion but in another room, go out, count 10, return, take him out of that place and give him an activity toy (have the children make a pile of them). This is how you:

Recognise he is under stress
Redirect the unacceptable behaviour to something acceptable
Give him a moment to decompress
Return, have him with you again with something nice to do

You will have to do this over and over to begin with, but in his own time he will prefer being occupied with something nice and in your company to humping on his own.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back