The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hunt Ban & Breeding Pups

Mark Roberts

The Ringmaster
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
In light of the hunting ban is it worth people breeding lurchers anymore?

I use a number of working dog sights and it seems more and more that they are struggling to find good homes for genuinly bred working pups and there are more and more older dogs being put up for rehoming?.

with the hunt ban now firmly in place is there a need for people to breed lurchers for working anymore.

Mark Roberts said:
In light of the hunting ban is it worth people breeding lurchers anymore?
I use a number of working dog sights and it seems more and more that they are struggling to find good homes for genuinly bred working pups and there are more and more older dogs being put up for rehoming?.

with the hunt ban now firmly in place is there a need for people to breed lurchers for working anymore.

there is no ban on rabbiting and fox control people are still doing hare coarsing legally and there still is a lot of people who show there dogs and race them in the summer ,i agree that there is a surplus amount of lurchers but alot of these are injured ones that people cant afford to have fixed are cant be bothered are ones that havnt made the grade and they dump at rescue centres a bit like ex track and coarsing greyhounds and whippets i have had lurchers 40 years i work them every day in winter and never sell my dogs and i get offered big money and i can honestly say ive never sold an adult dog a lot on these sites get them for a while and get bored its a social thing a whim etc with them not all people can stand a cold wet night walkin across muddy fields and thats what its all about thanks mark

There will always be some good working lines bred and homes for them should be available?.

but there seems to be a general decline in the number of people working dogs after the ban.

I wonder how lurchers will go over the next 10 years will they end up with only a small minority being worked and the rest being kept for showing/racing?.

markbrick said:
there is no ban on rabbiting and fox control
The ban does include fox control with lurchers, unless a lurcher is used to flush fox to waiting guns.

But in answer to the original question, i would have thought that most lurchers main work is rabbits, so yes of course they should continue to be bread.

frodo baggins said:
markbrick said:
there is no ban on rabbiting and fox control

The ban does include fox control with lurchers, unless a lurcher is used to flush fox to waiting guns.

But in answer to the original question, i would have thought that most lurchers main work is rabbits, so yes of course they should continue to be bread.

well of coarse there would be a gun there

If your dog goes after a fox on his daily walk or when your out rabitting, what can you do, its natural selection. People who've worked with Lurchers will continue to want well bred dogs. I don't think their popularity will drop at all.

its a shame that people cant get hold of lurchers as easy becuse it tends only to be the people who work there dogs who breed them so people cant get them to be pets either

ok another question.

is it me or do the working lads seem to be going more for the Bull x these days as without going into details you might as well get dun for a rabbit than a mouse so to speak?

I would say yes a lot of people are using bull X greyhounds now but in the late 70s early 80s the deerhound X greyhound was in fashion later in the 80s came the collie X greyhound & the beddy X greyhound & in the 90s came the saluki X greyhound the only lurcher that seems to have stayed quite popular through the years is the beddy X whippet

We put our dog 5/8 collie greyhound to a greyhound/beddie/german pointer back in summer. As far as I know the 2 we kept are the only 2, of 12, who are going to get to work, all the others are family pets, yet both sire and dam are excellent workers.

Where we live the greyhound x, rather then the whippet x seems to be just as popular as it always was. Are the bigger dogs not better than the smaller ones when it comes to foxes? The beddie in the 2 pups we've kept will make them better on rabbits but I don't think they'll ever take a fox.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back