The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hunting Bill

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just about every breed of dog was bred with a specific purpose in mind Dessie. The majority of which are now no longer used for that purpose. Fortunately these breeds survive because they have other endearing qualities and physical features which we like and they do successfully adapt to change.

My dogs go in open coutryside and farmland almost daily and no I won't be too upset should they revert back to their nature - but I don't actively encourage them to hunt. They are just as happy chasing a frisby or other four legged creature (pref a fast dog) as they are chasing prey. Which in the event of a total hunting ban is probably just as well.

Beejay, pardon my loose terminology in the despatch of prey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correction James. ALL breeds of dog were bred for one purpose or another and sighthounds were bred to run and kill, which is why the racing people can race them, the coursing people can course them and mine just do what comes naturally without any encouragement from me. Of course they have other qualities, no-one is disputing that, but they are inherently running, killing machines and prospective owners must know that.

What are you correcting me on here? All dogs were bred for a specific purpose. I thought that was what I was implying.

I have no dispute with what whippets were bred for or are capable of.

It was you who questioned my choice of dog and the suitability, I can only assume because I don't want to use the dogs to race, course and hunt.

Telling prospective owners of their capabilities is very responsible of you, well done!

Last edited by a moderator:
dessie said:
WOW!  It looks spectacular!  I take it all the dogs work including the Dachshund
We were not exactly coursing in the true sense of the word. I guess you'd call it "Mooching."

Ran the dogs in threes. Not unfair on this terrain and altitude. We don't live there, but spend a couple of weeks every year just having fun as long as the weather cooperates. We got snowed in one year the first week in May.

We ran five hares that morning, (Whitetailed Jackrabbits which aren't rabbits at all!) and the Dachshund flushed every one of them. Jacks are a bit bigger and faster than the European hare. At the time of year we were coursing they are just changing their coats from white to brown. The Aussie had a fare turn of speed too!!

Tony.

Terry Smith said:
I'd like to see the slipper that can balance Knink & Aussie!!Broc reminds me of the last lurcher we owned Sam, 5 1/2 stone of prey drive.
Broc is a big lad, but not 51/2 stone!! I'd say he was 45 lbs.

He's too big to straight race, but he can run on the oval. He's a bit on the big side for my taste too, but the SOB can run. Best dog on a hare I've had for some time. His Sisters are quite small.

Nice looking dog that one of yours.

Sounds good fun Tony (apart from the getting snowed-in bit!!), I bet the dogs really enjoy themselves, especially the Dachshund.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back