The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

I am a new dog owner (from yesterday) of working cocker spaniel

Marija Markovic

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I am hoping to find reassurance about having this type of dog as by reading all other forums this is not going to be an easy adventure....

Well, a working cocker will be an active little dog that will need physical and mental stimulation but actually many (most?) dogs do.

Is there anything in particular you are concerned about?

Tagging @excuseme and @merlina as they both have cockers - sorry if others do too and I have missed them.

Had two workers, got a worker x show just now who has been the biggest challenge of the lot! They are delightful, sensitive, smart, untiring, stubborn, affectionate and gorgeous. My best tip (apart from the obvious, exercise, good food, security, mental activity, etc) is never scare a wocker. My late FIL scared one of ours and he never forgave and he never forgot. (Actually neither did I.)

Tell us all, pics would be good.;)

joanneF is right in stating that the working type will need mental and physical stimulation.

hey are delightful, sensitive, smart, untiring, stubborn, affectionate and gorgeous. My best tip (apart from the obvious, exercise, good food, security, mental activity, etc) is never scare a wocker
I would love to know how to scare a "working type Cocker) :eek:

They are fantastic little dogs. I bought my first working type in 1985 and have had quiet a few since over the years. We have 6 now, 2 of which are 6.5 months old PHEW! :rolleyes:
First of all and most important, our Cockers are part of the family, and second we all enjoy the shooting season when we go "beating".
I would never suggest that these little dogs are suitable to be caged all night (for training) and then again in the day while the new owners are at work (to keep them safe), this I am sure, is where so many problems arise with an over excited and frustrated puppy/dog. All puppies need to be able to have access of movement
Make sure you have plenty of time for your puppy, for socializing, learning and becoming a family member. .
As JoanneF has asked, is there anything particular that you are worried about?

Fantastic little dogs.

How d'you scare a cocker? Well my FIL bellowed at him. I told him if he did it again I'd cancel Christmas. But we got a little bitch into rescue years ago from a gamekeeper who described her as 'useless'. She'd been harshly treated IMO (from his attitude) and was a nervous wreck. They are VERY easy to scare.

This is off thread: I'm unconnected with them but I believe the charity 'Spaniel Assist' was set up because of just such things happening. They do great work.

Some gamekeepers are VERY HARD on their dogs and probably do give them a "very hard time" creating "Fear".
The Cockers are tough little dogs, it takes a lot of cruelty to create this type of "Fear"

I must say spaniels are not a breed I would ever chose personally as I’m not a big fan of ball/stick obsessed dogs BUT the gorgeous boy Toby I walked last week was such a sweet boy.
Oh he was terrible on his lead don’t get me wrong but it was a real joy to watch him off his lead. He must have walked our walk 10 x and he always came back to me to make sure I was still there.

Like the others have said, lots of mental stimulation I think is key to spaniels. Do they enjoy agility @excuseme and @merlina ?

It was a real challenge to get him to stay still for a photo :D
255465B9-ECA3-44F3-A497-43961AFDC2F7.jpeg

I’m not a big fan of ball/stick obsessed dogs

The most ball-obsessed dog I have ever met is a lab - she can find a piece of a broken ball on a field the size of 6 football pitches and won't stop pestering you when she does!

The most ball-obsessed dog I have ever met is a lab - she can find a piece of a broken ball on a field the size of 6 football pitches and won't stop pestering you when she does!

Are you sure the ball wasnt covered in food!? :D

Teddy will chase a ball in the garden and loves chewing toys, but apart from playing tug he couldn't really care for chasing balls. Deffo doesn't when out walking.

I, too, am a new Working Cocker owner:) Georgia is five months now. Every time I said I was getting one people immediately did a sharp intake of breath! I have worked in the dog world for many years and had many different breeds and types of dogs from puppies to elderly rescues so I am not inexperienced :) I chose a Working Cocker because of bad experiences with other breeds bred from show stock.
Yes Cockers need mental stimulation through play and gentle training. Yes they need exercise but, most importantly they need to learn to "switch off". Modern dog trainers (see Progressing Partnerships and Developing Dogs) are teaching the "off" switch before they teach anything else. I have found it absolutely invaluable! Georgia is regularly put into a safe room, or her crate, with a stuffed kong or other safe chew to "switch off". When she is loose in the house she is being taught to settle on her mat and "chill".
When I get time I will type up something on how you train it but for now just keep an eye out for ANY calm behaviour and reward it. So, if your pup flops down somewhere, give it a treat. Every single time the pup is doing something calm then reward it with attention or a treat. Don't worry if the pup immediately pops up for a game. You have "captured the moment" and that is the important thing. As time goes on you will see more and more of this behavior offered so that you are able to reward it. Keep some treats in your pocket or high up on surfaces to help you.

Looking forward, I would investigate Scent Work. Take a look at Talking Dogs Scentwork. I have started Georgia and it has had a very good effect on the all important bonding process.

On the subject of sensitivity I would say that they are a sensitive breed for a gundog. An old gamekeeper once said "you train a Springer but you con a Cocker". If he noticed this trait then I think that says it all. An acquaintance who owns two has one glued to his leg because it is too scared to move and the other will not come anywhere near him because he shouts at them.

Hello, it's been a long time.
Welcome to the world of the "working type Cocker spaniel"
They are fantastic companions and also great fun :rolleyes:.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back