The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

I FEEL THERE’S SOMETHING WRONG

SCOOBYWINNIE

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, my 3 year old yorkie poo Scooby has suddenly started bringing his tongue in and out rapidly like a snake. We’d just walked to a friend’s house today and sat down when he started doing it again. My friend thought it was because he was thirsty but he drank nothing when given. Tonight he wanted a “rough and tumble” on my bed. He usually so looks forward to this if I have time. Tonight I had time. But as soon as he started his “play-growling” he suddenly stopped and lay very still bringing his tongue rapidly in and out. I just stroked his chest to calm him. Then came an obsessive licking of his groin. When he eventually stopped doing this he began the quick in and out tongue movements again. After this came the pattern he followed this morning of obsessively cleaning his lower leg but the duvet ended up wetter than his foreleg. I had a feeling his tongue was only marginally on the foreleg. He is now asleep on the sofa next to me snoring.

I initially believed the tongue thing was an anxiety reaction because he is a terribly nervous little dog. He jumps sky high if a leaf blows across his path. But I’m getting so worried about the tongue episodes I’m actually crying as I write this. Has anyone else had this with their dog please?

How long is it since this first started? I'm wondering if it's possible he had something like an insect sting on his tongue, or contact with a plant that irritated it or similar. As you're worried, it would be worth you contacting your vet tomorrow - they might have some ideas. Watch closely for any sort of difficulty breathing - if his breathing seems abnormal, I'd be tempted to contact an emergency vet, just as a precaution and for peace of mind.

I'm not an expert and have no experience of this, so others may have more suggestions.

I’m positive it’s not an allergic reaction. I’ve been reading that nausea can result in this tongue reaction and because he always goes to eat grass everyday I feel it could be nausea that’s causing this also he doesn’t eat much. But thank you for replying to my post. I’m definitely getting in touch with the vet tomorrow

I hope your little dog is ok. It sounds to me as if he could be pulling out the fur on his groin and then struggling to spit it out of his mouth. This is actually quite a common stereotypy, seen in nervous or anxious dogs or as a result of a skin allergy.

If it is this, you may be able to help him get the strands of fur out of his mouth for him. Otherwise, he will likely get rid of it eventually, or swallow it. The latter isn't great, but won't do any harm unless he eats a lot of his own fur obsessively. If he us pulling his own fur out, do the usual checks for.parasites.

Let us know how you get on.

Could also be a gastric reflux causing the tongue movements. Your vet will know what to check. Good luck, and do tell us the outcome.

I hope your little dog is ok. It sounds to me as if he could be pulling out the fur on his groin and then struggling to spit it out of his mouth. This is actually quite a common stereotypy, seen in nervous or anxious dogs or as a result of a skin allergy.

If it is this, you may be able to help him get the strands of fur out of his mouth for him. Otherwise, he will likely get rid of it eventually, or swallow it. The latter isn't great, but won't do any harm unless he eats a lot of his own fur obsessively. If he us pulling his own fur out, do the usual checks for.parasites.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi,
Thank you for replying to my post . However I think I can affirm that Scooby is doing all this “tongue in & out” and leg hair sucking/ fabric sucking business as a comfort/learned reaction to goodness knows what. It is definitely not through boredom. The Vet said it’s most peculiar as he’s eating OK and well in himself otherwise. Scooby has been given some anxiety syrup and some tablets in case it’s a reactive thing. I’m so worried. I don’t thonk he’s poorly but the tongue sticking out business and the cleaning goes on for so long. The cushion Scooby is on when doing the licking/cleaning is always soaking wet.

Hi, there is absolutely no hair in his mouth when he’s finished licking the leg half to death, he licks the cushion he’s on more than the leg. The fusion is always soaking wet!!

Hi, there is absolutely no hair in his mouth when he’s finished licking the leg half to death, he licks the cushion he’s on more than the leg. The fusion is always soaking wet!!
Yes, it does sound like a sterotypy, of the type of flank-sucking seen in dogs who acquire this habit.
It's distressing to see, so try to be kind to yourself as well as your dog. It will be interesting to see if the meds help, and in the meantime it might be helpful to keep a 48 hour diary of everything that goed on in his life. This will help you pinpoint some of the stressors in his life so that you can start to address these. It's interesting that you say 'it is definitely not boredom' - what makes you say that? A 48 hour diary recording how much down time and sleep he gets may help you with that.

The fact that he's eating well and is healthy is in his favor, but unfortunately irrelevant in terms of his symptoms, which it sounds as if are psychological rather than physical. You are likely right that he finds the repetitive behaviour comforting, and that would be my starting point. Good luck - it can be difficult to eradicate completely, but stereotypies can be reduced with the right treatment and care.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back