The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

I have two whippets, from the same litter they are 12 weeks

werewhippet

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'm looking for any tips on how to calm them down, they play fight, but sometimes it gets very vicious and I'm worried they will injure themselves, most of the time they are fine with one another.

Are they able to run around enough? Our whippet puppies and young dogs mostly play chasing games. We are lucky enough to have a walled garden area of a quarter of an acre where they can free run, which they do flat out, chasing each other in circles. They will happily do this for about half an hour twice a day even in this cold weather and happily for an hour twice a day when it's warmer.I have to say ours wouldn't normally fight or get vicious.

I would say whippets don't calm down much before the age of 2.

Depends on what is actually happening, often Whippets play fight with a lot of noise and it does look and sound like they are trying to kill each other, but in fact both are enjoying it. Of course it is possible that in your case its something different.

Biker John is so right!the noise that they make would make you think that the are trying to kill each other! But often it's all just talk and they don't actually make contact. I'm wondering if any actual injuries have been sustained.

No injuries at all , lots of snarling and barking and nipping one another , it does sound like they are killing one another. Other than that though they like to eat from the same bowl at the same time and have to sleep cuddling one another and groom one another. Also if put one on the naughty step (isolate one for 10 mins in their den and close the door)the other will often sit outside the door waiting. So they do get on most of the time . Probably worrying unduly, thanks

See my response to your other post.

I would just add that dogs will work out a pecking order. We should respect their decision and not keep "promoting" the under dog. He will be quite happy to have his mate in charge of him. Makes life easier. You can give the under dog more attention when Mr Bossy Boots is not around. If you keep interfering then things just get worse. As explained in the other post you just have to have some control over the behaviour for your own sanity. Some dogs will spar all day and habits are harder to break if they are left too long. I would insist on peace in the house.

Its not clear which one is the underdog, Blaze is bigger than Mask, and he can leap higher, he loves to jump up on to the settee and then leap right up on to the back and tease Mask, who hasn't quite mastered getting up there yet. But its often Mask who instigates the sparing. I understand they are working out the pecking order, I suppose I have to just let them work it through.

I have two whippets - one is now almost 5 and one 2 but they too play fight....as they are older they have settled right down and will gladly spend most of their day sleeping but they still have little play fight outburst and when chasing each other out on walks some of the noises they make sound awful but they are simply having a ball!

They have just had their second jab today, so will be able to let them free run outside in 7 days, give them more exercise than they are currently getting and hopefully tire them out . After reading all your comments I am no longer worried about their scrapping neither has injured the other it just sounded so bad, that I thought they would kill one another, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to alay my fears. Id like to put pictures up but have no idea how to.

They have just had their second jab today, so will be able to let them free run outside in 7 days, give them more exercise than they are currently getting and hopefully tire them out . After reading all your comments I am no longer worried about their scrapping neither has injured the other it just sounded so bad, that I thought they would kill one another, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to alay my fears. Id like to put pictures up but have no idea how to.

Can I just say that if they are going to be free running that you are sure they are in a safe area, especially if they have the usual " selective deafness " that whippets have! A beach is always a good option. Anywhere near vehicles would scare the be Jesus out of me. Too often have I read posts by people who have let their dogs off in the local park... only to have to end their post with..." at least he died doing something he loved..."

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back