The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Iggys

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
unwanted said:
i would like to ask these iggy owner do they work these little dogs on rabbits ect... im just interested wot there strenghts will be as a sighthound ????
My Iggie George is a demon with rabbits. He caught one just the other day and carried it about 300 yards and dumped it at my feet as it breathed its last. He caught one a couple of years ago that was bigger than him (w00t) . He kills them by flipping them over. Apart from one all have been healthy showing no signs of Myxi.

He and Shelley his daughter work the burrows in the field I walk in. He can be quite determined

unwanted said:
i would like to ask these iggy owner do they work these little dogs on rabbits ect... im just interested wot there strenghts will be as a sighthound ????
To my knowledge they are'nt classed as sighthounds over here,small or otherwise,as they are a totally different type compared to the continental/American ones (they are much bigger and have far denser bone as Tanya already stated earlier),they are in the Toy group. But please do correct me if I am wrong??

Jan Doherty said:
unwanted said:
My Iggie George is a demon with rabbits. He caught one just the other day and carried it about 300 yards and dumped it at my feet as it breathed its last. He caught one a couple of years ago that was bigger than him (w00t) . He kills them by flipping them over. Apart from one all have been healthy showing no signs of Myxi.

He and Shelley his daughter work the burrows in the field I walk in. He can be quite determined

so we know where Genie and Zoe get it from!

Genie caught a pheasants tail - the rest of it got away! :wacko:

and both of the little darlings like to catch and kill sparrows - much more their size than rabbits o:)

doris said:
Jan Doherty said:
unwanted said:

so we know where Genie and Zoe get it from!

Genie caught a pheasants tail - the rest of it got away! :wacko:

and both of the little darlings like to catch and kill sparrows - much more their size than rabbits o:)

So Doris it is you and your Ig's that are to blame for all the tailess pheasants in the area then?? lol :lol: :lol:

unwanted said:
I know tanya as give my little blue ( :- " ) a run behind a lure but just interested if and one else as done anything apart from showing these little dogs
In general, IGs don't seem to have as much hunting instinct as the Whippets (except for Jan's George! :- " )

My Norman and his daughter Alice once found a myxi rabbit sitting on the path, too sick to run away. Alice tried to drag it away, and Norman lay down next to it whimpering until I arrived :wub: but then he is a very caring little dog :huggles: My attempts to dispatch the poor little creature is another story... :- "

However, Norman is a fantastic racing/ lure coursing dog, very keen after the lure. He has been Afghan racing, and over 350yds did a faster time than any of the Afghans :thumbsup:

The lure operators took the mickey about an IG lure coursing, until they saw him run, then they said they took it all back! :lol: He was brilliant!

Norman's daughter Flora does agility, and has just qualified for the Young Kennel club Agility finals at Crufts :thumbsup: with her 10 year old handler. :cheers:

Liz and the Monellis

alfie said:
However, Norman is a fantastic racing/ lure coursing dog, very keen after the lure. He has been Afghan racing, and over 350yds did a faster time than any of the Afghans :thumbsup: The lure operators took the mickey about an IG lure coursing, until they saw him run, then they said they took it all back! :lol:   He was brilliant!
Here he is in action at BSFA lurecoursing :

dog1.jpg

:wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
moriarte said:
alfie said:
However, Norman is a fantastic racing/ lure coursing dog, very keen after the lure. He has been Afghan racing, and over 350yds did a faster time than any of the Afghans :thumbsup: The lure operators took the mickey about an IG lure coursing, until they saw him run, then they said they took it all back! :lol:   He was brilliant!

dog1.jpg

I knew I should have taken his coat off before he ran! :oops:

He looks even more of a wimp than he actually is!! :huggles:

Thanks for putting the pic on though Elizabeth :thumbsup:

Liz and the Monellis

well i have seen the wiggys and a lovely strong healthy litter they are :thumbsup: wish i had houseroom :(

moriarte said:
alfie said:

dog1.jpg

ooh nice dress (w00t) :lol: (nicer dog though :b :D )

alfie said:
I knew I should have taken his coat off before he ran! :oops: He looks even more of a wimp than he actually is!! :huggles:

Thanks for putting the pic on though Elizabeth :thumbsup:

Liz and the Monellis

Liz - you really should have!

alfie said:
unwanted said:
I know tanya as give my little blue ( :- " ) a run behind a lure but just interested if and one else as done anything apart from showing these little dogs
, and Norman lay down next to it whimpering until I arrived :wub: but then he is a very caring little dog :huggles:

Oh i'd love a Norman :huggles: :wub: He is a super little man :D

well my daughter gets her little iggyx whippet pup in a few weeks time off tanya god knows how im going to exercise this little dog im used to 40ld+. one thing it will have is stamina and muscles lol and i will be using it on the feilds as it should be used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan Doherty said:
In the Uk off the top of my head there are the following health problemsPig Teeth
Jan, I've never seen this term before and Google give didn't anything useful either - could you describe it? The IG club health survey 2004 also gives abnormal dentition as a problem, I'm also surprised about that. Any idea what kind of abnormal dentition?
IG bone density was mentioned somewhere - anywhere I could read more about this? Are there actually tests for this? I remember reading about a study that how well a brone fracture heals has a genetic component - some kind of human study (probably read about it on www.sciencemag.org but can't find a good link right now). The topic is interesting as last year a young IG was rehomed after owner's death and she had three breaks after that - her littermates are fine - and the question is, is it something in the line or was it the conditions she grew up in (as in what she was fed and how much excercised).

In relation to the topic of iggies in general:

By the way, IGs do lure coursing here. Though my boy thinks this is a meet-sexy-whippet-girls kind of event, his mother and aunt both run. No hunting, but hunting with sighthounds though legal here is not done because there are not much open fields with rabbits to hunt. Russian wolfhounds used to hunt and some still go to Russia for field trials in rabbiting.

Differences in what IGs do can't really be said to stem from how they are classified. AKC also puts IGs under toy dogs, but I think they were mentioned in this topic as sturdier. It is true they are bigger in the US. What I'd like to know more about is how much different are UK iggies from continental? So far I used to think there was just difference between American and European iggies, the two groups being cohesive. I am new to the breed and not a breeder, but still interested in learning more about the breed.

if you go back through some of the ig threads you will find various links to sites covering the information you requested, also there has been a FAQ sect put in for igs, a member named moriate has put several uk and usa site links on too , hope this is of some help , also if you pm jan doherty she will direct you to a very good uk site :thumbsup:

Thanks, Posh Totty, I'll try digging deeper into old topics. :)

chilipi said:
Jan Doherty said:
In the Uk off the top of my head there are the following health problemsPig Teeth
Jan, I've never seen this term before and Google give didn't anything useful either - could you describe it? The IG club health survey 2004 also gives abnormal dentition as a problem, I'm also surprised about that. Any idea what kind of abnormal dentition?
IG bone density was mentioned somewhere - anywhere I could read more about this? Are there actually tests for this? I remember reading about a study that how well a brone fracture heals has a genetic component - some kind of human study (probably read about it on www.sciencemag.org but can't find a good link right now). The topic is interesting as last year a young IG was rehomed after owner's death and she had three breaks after that - her littermates are fine - and the question is, is it something in the line or was it the conditions she grew up in (as in what she was fed and how much excercised).

In relation to the topic of iggies in general:

By the way, IGs do lure coursing here. Though my boy thinks this is a meet-sexy-whippet-girls kind of event, his mother and aunt both run. No hunting, but hunting with sighthounds though legal here is not done because there are not much open fields with rabbits to hunt. Russian wolfhounds used to hunt and some still go to Russia for field trials in rabbiting.

Differences in what IGs do can't really be said to stem from how they are classified. AKC also puts IGs under toy dogs, but I think they were mentioned in this topic as sturdier. It is true they are bigger in the US. What I'd like to know more about is how much different are UK iggies from continental? So far I used to think there was just difference between American and European iggies, the two groups being cohesive. I am new to the breed and not a breeder, but still interested in learning more about the breed.

Pig teeth are where the canines grow forward like a pig, like tusks.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back