The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Iggys

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Right you have all had your say about IG breeders and now I will have mine.

I breed a litter as and when I want to keep a puppy for myself. Who I sell my Iggie puppies to is my business in the same way that anyone else sells any breed of Puppy.

Iggies are not for everyone regardless of what people think. They are very active and in your face, a big dog in a small package and thats why they get themselves in to so much trouble.

There are on average only about 100 to 110 puppies a year born and that is why they are in short supply. The fact that they are in short supply does not mean that the market should be flooded with them. The average litter is 2 to 4 puppies. It is not a commercial breed although we have recently had out fair share of back street breeders breeding indiscriminately with no concern as to any future health problems.

In the Uk off the top of my head there are the following health problems

Broken Legs

Epilepsy

Alopecia

Colitus

Leg Perthes

Slipping patella.

Pig Teeth

PRA and von Willhands? have not to my knowledge been reported in UK Iggies

With regards price I charged £300 for a bitch puppy and £250 for a dog in my last litter plus the cost of vaccinations. I rear the pups until at least 14 weeks.

Any pups I keep and run on and then rehome I do not sell. The home is more important than the price. Both of Doris Iggies I bred and ran on.

With regards answering peoples questions I have actually got fed up of trying to steer people towards breeders who are not going to rip them off or sell them unhealthy puppies so I dont answer any enquiries about puppies unless someone chooses to engage with me on an one to one.

With regards the Iggie world being a closed shop as with any small breed yes it is a closed shop because people on the whole genuinely care about the breed.

However what I cannot forgive are those who breed epilepsy to epilepsy or leg break to leg break. They are not true Iggie lovers or even dog lovers. If that could be attributed to just the back street breeders you could understand it a bit more.

Anyone who has lived with an Iggie will know the passion they generate in normal usually sane people.

I make no apologies for only wanting the best for my Iggies.

a good post from a true iggie lover, so i think and the answer to the original question has just been answered by someone who really knows the breed :thumbsup:

Heres a little something I just found in my mail box.I thought it was apt

Monday, September 11, 2006

LIVE AND ACT IN A SPIRIT OF LOVE

The place to begin to improve the world

is in your own heart, head and hands.

To get along with others,

love them without forcing your love upon them.

Imposing your beliefs on people will not bring you peace.

Have concern for others, respect their rights and freedoms,

and let them be themselves.

Do this and you will enjoy peace.

Having consideration for others is the basis of a good life.

Most people are not against you,

they are merely for themselves.

Let differing ideas clash, but not those of the heart.

Peace comes to you when you live and act in a spirit of love.

Tanya u were not suppose to say anything u know how long i have liked these little dogs.i know i go on about plastics but i only say plastic dogs as in ped whippets if people read wot i have posted.my daughter wanted one before i knew tanya as she had seen one when we were away and she thought it was a small whippet and i explained to her it was and italian greyhound and she said she would like one.I made some calls about them then but just got the brush off so i give up trying.then i got to know tanya and she told my daughter she had italians and then my daughter went on about getting one again.so tanya told my daughter about this litter she as now and tanya and her have been chatting for a while and tanya as explain how to look after and maintain this breed,so now tanya as kindly given my daughter one of theses pups under my nose oops supervision.so getting back to me again and people going to have a laugh at me about me having a plasic dog in the house the laugh is back at u cos its a cross bred plastic.As i told some people at the champs these could be my NEW scratch breed.SO MISS TUSH u will see me around for a bit longer yet LOL :- "

Jan Doherty said:
Right you have all had your say about IG breeders and now I will have mine.
I breed a litter as and when I want to keep a puppy for myself. Who I sell my Iggie puppies to is my business in the same way that anyone else sells any breed of Puppy.

Iggies are not for everyone regardless of what people think. They are very active and in your face, a big dog in a small package and thats why they get themselves in to so much trouble.

There are on average only about 100 to 110 puppies a year born and that is why they are in short supply. The fact that they are in short supply does not mean that the market should be flooded with them. The average litter is 2 to 4 puppies. It is not a commercial breed although we have recently had out fair share of back street breeders breeding indiscriminately with no concern as to any future health problems.

In the Uk off the top of my head there are the following health problems

Broken Legs

Epilepsy

Alopecia

Colitus

Leg Perthes

Slipping patella.

Pig Teeth

With regards price I charged £300 for a bitch puppy and £250 for a dog in my last litter plus the cost of vaccinations. I rear the pups until at least 14 weeks.

Any pups I keep and run on and then rehome I do not sell. The home is more important than the price. Both of Doris Iggies I bred and ran on.

With regards answering peoples questions I have actually got fed up of trying to steer people towards breeders who are not going to rip them off or sell them unhealthy puppies so I dont answer any enquiries about puppies unless someone chooses to engage with me on an one to one.

With regards the Iggie world being a closed shop as with any small breed yes it is a closed shop because people on the whole genuinely care about the breed.

However what I cannot forgive are those who breed epilepsy to epilepsy or leg break to leg break. They are not true Iggie lovers or even dog lovers. If that could be attributed to just the back street breeders you could understand it a bit more.

Anyone who has lived with an Iggie will know the passion they generate in normal usually sane people.

I make no apologies for only wanting the best for my Iggies.

Well said Jan :thumbsup:

i would like to ask these iggy owner do they work these little dogs on rabbits ect... im just interested wot there strenghts will be as a sighthound ????

I know tanya as give my little blue ( :- " ) a run behind a lure but just interested if and one else as done anything apart from showing these little dogs

they do lure course in dubai, but are more sound and stable then the uk bred iggys, im sure someone on here does agility with one? i do know that sophie the gobby one of mine was worked on live as were her sisters and others the chap had? im almost certain too that regular racing occurs in europe? however these dogs are of far sounder bone structure and density, also are bigger in size, and therefore i would have great concerns with some of the lines here as to whether they could do the job they were originally intended, this is jmo , i think you would find a great wealth of racing infomation on the american site as to what they have done? im sure some on here also lure courses theres but is much bigger than blue?

but as for the original question as to what we do with ours, i show (badly) and lure course with some straight running, the closets blue has got to killing anything is his green frog toy so dont thik that counts lol :blink:

Thanks for your informative and balanced reply Jan :thumbsup:

Jan Doherty said:
The US health survey was based on a huge number of dogs, 2274. There is no indication of the size of the UK sample, but I imagine it was a lot smaller and it's always more difficult to derive accurate statistics from small samples, especially for rare conditions such as PRA and von Willebrands.

Would it help to have an Iggy FAQ section?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been reading this thread from it started and to be honest it appears to turning into a fanclub for certain members rather than answering the question which was first posed.................just my opinion tho!

moriarte said:
Would it help to have an Iggy FAQ section?
now there's a sensible suggestion :thumbsup:

05whippet, I agree! can I join your fan club please :lol:

GemmaT said:
Hello eveyone, I am a regular on the whippet forum as I have a 7 month old red brindle called Pimms.
I love Iggys, can anyone tell me how easy they are to get hold of and also how much I could expect to pay for one? Im sure Pimms would like a friend! I would just like one as a pet, not fussed about showing!

:cheers:

Gemma and Pimms

orignal question: 05whippet.think this as been aswered,and i hope this young lady has more luck than me in finding a iggy.

unwanted said:
GemmaT said:
Hello eveyone, I am a regular on the whippet forum as I have a 7 month old red brindle called Pimms.
I love Iggys, can anyone tell me how easy they are to get hold of and also how much I could expect to pay for one? Im sure Pimms would like a friend! I would just like one as a pet, not fussed about showing!

:cheers:

Gemma and Pimms

orignal question: 05whippet.think this as been aswered,and i hope this young lady has more luck than me in finding a iggy.

Yes,well then lets just stick to the topic and I too hope that you find an experienced,helpful Ig breeder who can help you find the right pup for you GemmaT :thumbsup:

he is , well i will leave him to tell you bout it but wont he look sweet with a little plastic type :- "

:wacko: YOU AND A PLASTIC X GEORGE AM I HAERING THIS RIGHT LOL :- "

unwanted said:
As i told some people at the champs these could be my NEW scratch breed.SO MISS TUSH u will see me around for a bit longer yet LOL :- "
I'd hope your scratch dog weighed over 35lb?! (w00t) Are you coming up with a 16lb supreme racing champ on the sly George?? :D

wild whippies said:
unwanted said:
As i told some people at the champs these could be my NEW scratch breed.SO MISS TUSH u will see me around for a bit longer yet LOL :- "
I'd hope your scratch dog weighed over 35lb?! (w00t) Are you coming up with a 16lb supreme racing champ on the sly George?? :D

i hope so tush i really do tanya would love that

i think the suggestion of a FAQ sect would be an excellent idea and very helpful to any person wishing to find out more about them, so if that would be possible i think all would agree would be only a positive move :thumbsup:

Great idea. Once it's written, perhaps Jan (the mod for this forum) could pin it at the top of the forum so everyone could find it?

I'm always keen to learn about these lovely little dogs. I've only ever met one in real life. He was such a cutie, and so much smaller than I had realized even though I've drooled over all the iggy pics on here ever since Zoomie brought iggies to my attention just by 'being' :lol: :b

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back