The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

I'm new to Whippets

TimW

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Guys, I posted for the first time last week under Pedigree Whippet Racing, I was provided with much useful information. One of the responses asked if I really wanted to run pedigree whippets, and now having received my first copy of Whippet News (and unless I'm being dim), there seems to be far more events for non-pedigree dogs.

Could someone please explain the difference?

Does the British Whippet Racing Association govern the non-pedigrees and the Whippet Club Racing Association govern the pedigrees?

Are the dogs bred the same, as with greyhounds where the owner then chooses to race under NGRC rules or on the Independents, or are they different?

Should my location (Dunbar, Scotland) influence my choice, or am I equally served by both types of racing?

All information/advice greatly received.

Thanks

Tim

Hi Tim,

The WCRA runs Pedigree Whippet Racing in the UK, they catter for Kennel Club registered whippets.

To race under the rules of the WCRA a whippet MUST be KC registered hold a 5 generation pedigree and have an upto date vaccination certificate, be under 20" for bitches & 21" for dogs and weigh under 32lb.

The BWRA runs the non pedigree whippet racing in the UK. whippets that are not Kennel Club registered (i'm sure somone from the non ped racers will give you more details for the BWRA)

hope that helps.

I race Non Ped Whippet's and they run with the BWRA and New NWRF. If you want to open race then it make's sence to join them but if you just want to club race then all they need is to be fully inoculated and then you join a club. Your nearest is Kirkcaldy in Fife, but in the lighter night's a few of us train the dog's in West Lothian.

The difference between the peds and non peds is Non Peds don't need to be KC reg and must look like whippet's. We have no height limit or weight limit . Our's are cheeper to buy too.

Hope this help's a bit. :cheers:

TIMW iam not sure but i think pedigree racing in scotland is scarce , i cant say for certain but i think pedis are slower than non pedis ,at club level this is not a problem because the club handicapper would ensure competative racing however if it was my choice and you are seriouse about racing i would go along to kircaldy racing club on the playing fields next to the top o the toon pubon sat mornings at 11 30 you would be made very welcome im sure you would get all the advice you need you could also e mail susan who has been on this forum hope this helps you phil.

There is a ped club next to the Kincarden Bridge and one other but I don't know where it is. I always thought there was only the Calie Ped club as when they never had a track they used to run the peddie's at Kirkcaldy in between the non ped racing till they got the track at Stirling but have lost that track and went to Kincarden last year. We have 2 club's for Non Ped and hope to get Dundee going too. Like Ive said we triel the dog's in West Lothian on wednesday night in the lighter night's. If you would like to see the non ped's racing come along to the club. Yes your right Phil the non ped's are a lot faster then ped's

Hope this help's :cheers:

hi susan how is the pup doing ,what weight is he i was talking to ian the other night the ones that went down south are ranging between 14 and 23 lbs, ours is about 18 lbs and shaping up nicley and stone daft ,we started to take her to the track she seems very keen but shes still to young to start training speak to you later Phil.

Susan, thanks again. Phil, thanks. The point re who's fastest is invaluable, I could have bought a pedigree whippet anticipating I could have a choice of both ped and non-ped on an even playing field.

I expected to see adverts for pups in the Whippet News, but they appear to carry only stud adverts. Where's the best source of pups for sale?

Regards

Tim.

Ask here, there is a few litter's just been born.

Im sure you will find a well bred pup no bother.

hi TimW you could contact some of the owners of the stud dog feature they will know about puppies just born or about to be born Phil.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back